Pirate 4x4 banner

question about power steering

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Buckshot33 
#1 ·
Ive got a scout 800 I've been working on and want to convert it to power steering. Whats the best way to do so? Would a Saginaw kit be the best way or should I look for an IH power steering box on ebay or somewhere?

#4 · (Edited)
On my 800 I used a SII pump with the factory bracket (bolts right in) and a 70's 4wd F-150 box. If you can, get the draglink because it's much stronger. Borgesen also makes a rag-joint eliminator kit for the F-150 setup.

#5 ·
You didn't specify if you have a V8 or not, which makes a big difference. The ford box will work for a 4 cyl model, but it's not a straight bolt in, you need to make the mounting plate larger. If it's a V8 you can use the power steering gear box from a Scout II and make that work.

#7 ·
Buckshot33 said:
it will be a v8 setup.
On the V8's it's easier to mount the steering box on the outside of the frame, hence using the Scout II PS gearbox. Also if it's a IH V8, the SII PS pump won't work because they hang down on the side of the motor (unless you ditch the inner fender). You can use the PS Pump off of the fullsize IH pickups because they sit up higher on the motor.

#10 · (Edited)
it was originally a 4 cyl model but Ive already moved the front crossmember forward. its a 1968 scout 800 if that makes a different. the crossmember has been moved up to the front of the frame rails where it would be on a 304 v8 scout. as it is I've got TONS of room to do what ever I want it seems.

I was looking at this box here and thinking it might work. this is a late 90's jeep cherrokee/wrangler PS box with a 4" dropped pitman arm. I will be changing the steering column anyway so I can build the steering shaft to what ever is required. This box looks like it will bolt flush with the frame rail, eliminating the original steering box plate. if so all I have to do is drill 3 holes and bolt it up. Also, if anybody knows, would a standard GM PS pump be ok pressure wise for this box? thanks.

what do you think?

#11 · (Edited)
Oh man, I don't know about that Cherokee box. It has been probably eight years since I had an XJ, so I can't really say for sure how that box is set up. My concern is that box sits on the side of the frame, while the Scout box mounts to side, it mainly sits on top of the frame. (first picture) The box in my scout 80 mounts in a similar fashion. (Second pic) It's on a bracket or something away from the frame.

The other thing is, the pitman arm may be splined as to only allow it to be indexed one way. Others, like the Ford, allow it to be clocked at 90 degree increments.

I'd hate to see someone spend money on something that won't work, so do your homework first.

edit: You can't just drill holes in your frme to bolt in a steering box, you need to sleeve them for strength.

#12 ·
Urban Wheeler said:
edit: You can't just drill holes in your frme to bolt in a steering box, you need to sleeve them for strength.
right ! :) thanks. I figured I would have to for strength. thats not too hard. my local budget bolt is my second home.

#14 ·
On my 68 800(factory 304) the cross member was right in the way for the GM style. Also I noticed that the steering was going to be more of a pain because I was'nt going straight over the frame like SII of FORD. The SII pump fit in my 800 without triming any of the fender but I dont know why. :smokin:

#15 ·
BLK Scout 800 said:
On my 68 800(factory 304) the cross member was right in the way for the GM style. Also I noticed that the steering was going to be more of a pain because I was'nt going straight over the frame like SII of FORD. The SII pump fit in my 800 without triming any of the fender but I dont know why. :smokin:
The original steering column puts the gm box too close to the crossmember, you're right. I'll be putting different, shorter steering column in mine and Ive got 3 extra steering u-joints left over from a different project so i think I can get this box to work no problem.

Urban wheeler: about the sleeves, they're no problem but the wall of the frame is only like 3/16"s. should I put like a 1/4" plate on the outside of the frame where the box bolts through? just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.