Pirate 4x4 banner

345 engine tranny install

604 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LT1SCOUT 
#1 ·
i have a 76 traveler , and i am going to buy a good 345 w rebuilt 727 tranny, my question is that both the engine and tranny are going to be pulled together, can i slide both the engine and tranny in my rig together?, or will that not work, thanks

#2 ·
I did my motor first and tranny second weight in the rear motor mounts was my biggest concern. I knew the tranny would be hanging while i mounted the motor up and might put the hurt on the rear mounts. However I never did a SEARCH to support the way I did what I did when I did it :flipoff2:

#3 ·
I usually put a jack or block of wood under to support whatever is left in, however, once I pulled them out together by removing the radiator and front sheetmetal. It was probably a lot more work than it needed to be, but I didn't want to mess with dropping the trans from under and all that chit.
Oh and I used a forklift to do it, too! :flipoff2:

#5 ·
pull the grill and radiator. its not too hard and you can pull the whole drivetrain at once. ive done it three times on mine in the last year. if you attach your chain at the rear of the heads, it'll be pretty well balanced. i know a sbc/700r4/dana 300 assembly is perfectly balanced if you attch there. the 345 being the pig it is might throw the CG towards the front some but shouldnt be too bad. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.