Pirate 4x4 banner

weekend report: june 6, 2004

1K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  WhiskeyTango 
#1 ·
so, what happened good in the IH world this weekend?

I got my rig inspected & on the trail for the first time this year, lost teh clutch on the way to the trail, so i had an interesting few hours of light wheeling. how about the rest of you?

#2 ·
Wheeled Sat. :D
fixed the brakes and lights on my trailer this morning then put a new oil pan gasket on the scout this afternoon. Just about done with that.
Next I need to start getting stuff ready for the Goldendale calrocs event, less than 2 weeks away. :)

#3 ·
Finally looked at all the carnage from the last trip, looks like I have some body work to do.. Then drove it up to a buddies( a guy that knows how to install gears correctly) house and dropped it off so he can install the 488's, been putting that one off long enough...

#7 ·
Been working on my Cage for the last 2 weeks (here & there)
Learned that it sucks to weld a cage with mig that has a 15% duty cycle. :barf:
Wouldn've been finished sooner, but after some input of fellow Dysfunctional guys I decided to add some gussets.
The painted the 3rd coat of rattle can black tonight...

Added 6 Tube Gussets (3 on top DS & PS) & 4 Plate Gussets (PS/DS Pillars):

DS Pillar:

Top view, 3rd gusset at top left:

Plate Gussets (under the middle & lower spreaders connecting the 2 center pillars:

Not pictured are the Stereo & CB mounts between the two upper spreaders..
They've been covered with sheetmetal...

#8 ·
i studied for physics, rebooted my computer, and slept until 1PM on both saturday and sunday. 3 days left in this place and im headed home.

as for tech. we put a tach cluster in my buddies xj....woohoo.....i swear....im dying from the excitment.

Callen

#10 ·
Hardcore.

I pulled the Ford grille out of my Travelette's front clip..

In favor of a good-used 74/75 grille like it was supposed to have.

I need a bigger shop.. this one's not even done yet.. :rolleyes:

That's an 8' long firring strip across the hood and touching the wall. The truck is just far enough inside the shop that the hitch stinger clears the door.. I could get another 6" if I pulled the stinger.

Finally fixed the ripped U-bolt plate on my trail Scout, too.

#11 · (Edited)
Worked on the White Ghost

Friend mailed me the carb to throttle lever linkage, so I installed that. Then I had to fine tune it for a while. I originally set it to match how it was set on my SSII, same engine, same tranny. But, after a few minutes of tuning it, I realized that the throttle arm on the carb is enough different on the White Ghost that I had to do a LOT of adjustment...

Finally got it dialed in pretty good. Shifts 1st to second at about 10mph, stays in 2nd longer than I would like, all the way to about 40. On my SSII, once I hit 35 or so, as soon as I let off the gas to hold speed, it shifts to third. But, with the truck, it stays in 2nd until I get to 40, regardless of whether I back off the gas or not. Probably still have it a bit long. Not getting any kickdown though, although with the 392, I don't really *need* it.. <chuckle> Tha plant kicks out a lot of power. Nice having the tranny finally dialed in. Truck is a lot more fun to drive, and it is starting to feel halfway reliable.

Next up is the windshield swap and hood swap... then some wet sanding, and some more rattle can rustoleum... I am going to take the trim off. It is a lot easier to paint without all the trim on there

Worked on some other stuff on the truck as well. Poor truck started bleeding all over the place...

#12 ·
Hooper said:
Worked on some other stuff on the truck as well. Poor truck started bleeding all over the place...
Uh.. that's not bleeding, that hemorrhaging..

I've been having some fun driving my truck around with the new motor and the 5spd, too. I thought the stock 392 had plenty of zip..

With the built 392, Stan's headers, and a new Thrush Turbo it has a nice rumble to it - even the old stock muffler on the side I didn't blow up sounds throatier.. the 345 used to be whisper quiet.

Interesting data point.. I put the T-35 5spd in because I hated the 3-4 split with the wide T98 (1.7 and 1) (vs 1.41 and 1 in the T-35) and the 45mph hill climbing abilities.

When we went up to over Memorial Day to race, I only used my new 4th gear twice.. once going up the north pass on my way out, once coming back.

Stupid truck pulled every other hill, big n' small, in 5th with no sweat, pulling the loaded trailer. :evil:

I guess I need a bigger trailer to load it down some now..

Gotta decide what's going to BinderBash this weekend.. racer's still a cripple with no reverse or 3rd.. hard to get it off the trailer that way.

Michelle doesn't want to take Oscar unless I get the top pulled first.. and Tigger's just so.. uhh.. well-worn that it might be embarassing. :D

#13 ·
Pulled in a SOA job from OK, then dashed over to Led's new shop to see how the MJ was coming along. Looks pretty good. Can't wait to start on its 4-link/air shocks/flatbed/exo.

Other than that, did some lifting and rested. :D

#14 ·
Went to a wrecking yard that has to close in 30 days and picked up a sweet OBA tank, the brackes to mount it and a 4 BBl 392/345 manual for a grand total of 20 bucks!!! Came home sunday to find Binderbound done with a days work on the crawler, he's got some good news, and he gave me "The LIST" the stuff I get to work on this week. Can't wait to get rollin on it!

#15 · (Edited)
I went to Michigan with a buddy to get this pile. It has a hp60 front and an Eaton rear, 5.13's in both ends. Those are 44s on the front, for sale.
the next day I reffed some paintball and picked up a free Ford t-18 wide. I'm now waiting on NVScouter to get back to me on the Scout t-18.
Coming up in the next few days will be a d44 rear for the Scout 80.

#18 ·
2nd in the world

Diesel Smoke and I are the proud parents of only the 2nd fuel injected 4cyl IH in the world. After 3 days of trouble shooting we got it running. Sounds like a monster truck with just a manifold. Now were rapping up all the little dodads and shit before it goes off to the cage guy, then exahust. I cant wait. Its gonna be a close call trying to get to Goldendale. :eek:

#19 ·
binderbound said:
Diesel Smoke and I are the proud parents of only the 2nd fuel injected 4cyl IH in the world.
I CALL BEING THE DAD!!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I wouldn't say "we" got it running, all I did was replace the starter last weekend while you were up politicin' with the WA guys!!! I guess I stood around and asked a bunch of wrong questions. Oh YEAH!!! and I grounded the wire that wasn't suppose to be grounded and was F-ing the whole thing up!!!

#21 ·
Urban Wheeler said:
Coming up in the next few days will be a d44 rear for the Scout 80.
Picked it up today, sort of. I bought a housing with carrier and 3.07 gears. When I turned the pinion I noticed both flanges turned the same direction. Turns out I got a Trac-loc in there. I think it may have been rebuilt because it seems tight. Someday I'll use it to replace the Lincoln in the front axle.

#22 · (Edited)
I took off my ugly ass front bumper the scout came with it's time for a little tube up front also took out my passenger seat that was held in by the seatbelt, went for a hot lap or two around the block, basically accomplished nothing productive, basically this was a waste of a post on this thread. Free bumper ...

Turn signals, off road lights and license plate not included

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.