Pirate 4x4 banner

80 rear axle info?

924 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Urban Wheeler 
#1 ·
I searched and checked out the binderbulletin, still didn't find what I was after.

It is a 66 scout, w/ a 4 cylinder, and the rear was torn apart a few years back, (ring and pinion, spider gears?). It has been sitting open since and I'm wanting to fix it up.
What is the width and pattern on these axles, stock gear ratios? Is there an easy swap that would come with the correct gears?
This is for an older guy that wants to be able to wheel it again, but he is not hard on it. So it doesn't need to be a beef axle. I'm lookin' to do it on the cheap as a favor. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
It would most likely be a D44, 19-spline, 2-piece shafts (like early jeeps). Common gears would be something like 4.27's or so. Many also had a Power-Lock which isn't bad. Width is about 56", 5 on 5.5 pattern.

A scout II rear would be a little wider (58") but odds of finding the same ratio (stock) are slim. Best swap would be another, complete rear out of another 66-71 Scout 800. The later years had a 1-piece axle available. Look for rigs with a 4-cylinder to have better odds of matching ratios.

Many time you can get one of the older rears for free from someone who has built/upgraded their rear to a later SII (30-spline) rear or bigger... the early 2-piece, course spline stuff isn't always desirable as it is generaly weaker than the later stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.