Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford (Sterling) 10.25 rear axles?

956 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  stx4wheeler460 
#1 ·
Just out of curiousity, what is the opinion of these rear ends? My father in law gave me his '95 F250 Powerstroke, and after I wring a few more miles out of it (it's got 225,000 now) I was thinking that rear end (and perhaps the motor) could find its' way into my Traveler. Everyone wants a Dana 60, lots of people have 14 bolts if they don't mind plowing up some mud, but I've heard virtually nothing about the big Ford rears. Even on the Pirate Ford board no one really talks about them much. Are they junk or is it just that the other stuff is so much more readily available? I know you can find popular gearsets and lockers for them, that's not the issue.
Darel

#6 ·
there are a few minor problems with them, like the axle seals some 93 year model axles got the new improved axle seals that stopped the leaking problems, and 94- up got them, the new inproved seals are like 40 bucks a side from ford, and that seems to be the main weak point in them, and sometimes you get a pinion leak i have heard but never experienced it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.