Pirate 4x4 banner

Going to the parts yard tomorrow-need to know

839 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  TATER 
#1 · (Edited)
8-bolt flat tops came on 74-75 Travelall's and Pickups right?

#2 · (Edited)
????

8-bolt flat tops came on 74-75 Travelall's and Pickups right?
yes, only 8-bolt flat-tops are on 74/75 ta-ll/PU, 6-bolt on '73 w/drums.

Would dana 30 flat tops, bolt up to my dana 44?
No such thing as a D30 flat-top, so if you find one.... but yes, *some* D30 knuckles will fit on D44 yokes.

May just pull the outers, and may take the whole knuckle and cut mine off. Need to cut and turn anyway.
huh????

#5 ·
TravisSSII said:
This is what I was thinking.
Your terminology in the picture is "correct"

The knuckles (outers) on just about any D44 are interchangeable with other D44's.. so the Inners (also called "inner C's") are for the most part the same for open knuckle axles.

Many (atleast Scout, and I believe some Jeep) D30's are also the same.

I the inners are specific to the individual Tube Diameters. So unless you have a machine shop to make sleeves, if you wanted to swap parts you would need to swap between like tube diameters.

#7 ·
TravisSSII said:
Ok, so I was correct in my thinking, just said it very oddly.

Cool, I don't feel so dumb.

:mad3: The parts yard had one but it was a 2x4. I should have asked that over the phone. The hunt for 8-bolt flat tops continues.
Rather than trying to re-use the Scout outers.. you might seriously want to consider "upgrading" to Ford (or Dodge)outers. The recipe has been well published in many threads... and many of the parts are easier to find. Couple months of casual junk-yard scrounging should net you the parts and you get a "stronger" set up... looks cool too.

Food for thought, or re-drill a set of 6-bolt knuckles as many have done.

#8 ·
the knuckles on a 2x4 ih are the same as knuckles on a 4x4 arent they? i was under the impression that the only difference between 2 and 4wd was the 2wd doesnt have a pumpkin, diff, or axles, but the tube, end yoke forgings, and knuckles are the same. someone told me once to look for flattops from a 2wd ih truck. correct me if im wrong.

#9 ·
LT1SCOUT said:
the knuckles on a 2x4 ih are the same as knuckles on a 4x4 arent they? i was under the impression that the only difference between 2 and 4wd was the 2wd doesnt have a pumpkin, diff, or axles, but the tube, end yoke forgings, and knuckles are the same. someone told me once to look for flattops from a 2wd ih truck. correct me if im wrong.
I'm thinking that all the 2wd stuff would be drum brake and they went to IFS and disc at the same time.

#10 ·
LT1SCOUT said:
Your Wrong :flipoff2:

You are correct if we are talking SII stuff... they just used a "dummy" axle in the front.

However Full-Sizes (PU's, T-alls ect) used a drop beam axle or IFS set up... Completly non-interchangable with 4wd stuff.

#12 ·
I sort of remember a chebby D44 w/ flat-tops at a junkyard that TXScout and I were at a few months ago. The place is 71 Salvage on Hwy 71 East. Its located 5 miles past the airport as you head toward Bastrop. After you talk to the guy inside, your gonna walk thru the garage and continue about 50-75 yards. It'll be on your left.

#14 ·
Oh yeah, your in the land of broken cookies and broken dreams.

Remember the movie "Love and a .45" ? Rene Zellwiger says " I'd follow you all the way to Oklahoma."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.