Pirate 4x4 banner

scout diesel ? worth picking up?

2K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Dblbeard 
#1 ·
I was offered a scout diesel with a bad piston for free!
the guy says that he could not find a piston, and the head is off.
Is this worth hauling off?
I know that with the internet, and Pirate I could find the parts,
but is this a vehicle worth putting back together for the wife to have an exploration type vehicle. You know haul the kids and supplies for desert trips, while I cruise my samurai.
What are the particulars of the drive train:
nissan 6 cyl diesel
trans?
tcase?
diffs?
psteering?
what should i look for in determining if it is worth getting?
are there any rare options that I should look for , such as lockers
soft top, etc.... as i have not seen it yet.
where can I get parts ?
Light of La?
binder place in north ern Cali?(name?)
PROST :beer: SCOTT
Any one have a piston? hahahah

See less See more
#2 ·
post something on the binderbulletin for parts. They have a whole diesel section. You may even be able to geyt a whole motor from one of those guys. As far as pistons go most piston manufactures will make whatever you want. I like Ross personally. So it depends on how much you want to spend.

#13 · (Edited)
Abi Normal said:
I sure would like to see a picture of a line set ticket with that has a T-19 wide ratio (T-427) and a diesel .
Ummmmm......I don't think you really realize who you are arguing with :flipoff2: , but your wrong. I have seen a T-19 wide Stock in a 1980 Traveler, the guy owned it from new and gave to his hippy son, who had a 3" exhaust installed on it by the above person. IH did everything, if you wanted it they did it.

#15 ·
Abi Normal said:
Snap a pic of the line set ticket and prove me wrong !!
Since I don't have a red star, you can A: convince someone who does to post my pic...OR B. give me your email and I will send it to ya!!! :flipoff2:

Not and LST, since my diesel is a close, but how about an original 1980 Scout II sales brocures listing either the close or wide T-19 as tranny options for the diesel?? Would that work?

Let me know how you want me to prove you wrong :flipoff2:

Carl

#23 ·
horse_with_no_name said:
I was offered a scout diesel with a bad piston for free!
the guy says that he could not find a piston, and the head is off.
Is this worth hauling off?
I know that with the internet, and Pirate I could find the parts,
but is this a vehicle worth putting back together for the wife to have an exploration type vehicle. You know haul the kids and supplies for desert trips, while I cruise my samurai.
What are the particulars of the drive train:
nissan 6 cyl diesel
trans?
tcase?
diffs?
psteering?
what should i look for in determining if it is worth getting?
are there any rare options that I should look for , such as lockers
soft top, etc.... as i have not seen it yet.
where can I get parts ?
Light of La?
binder place in north ern Cali?(name?)
PROST :beer: SCOTT
Any one have a piston? hahahah
Go here for parts http://dieselspares.com.au/

#24 ·
#25 ·
Old Scout said:
Shipping might be a bitch!

Address :

3 Hantke Place, Welshpool.

Western Australia, Australia. 6106
:flipoff2:
Not at all, you can get a complete overhaul kit with 3 day fedex shipping for less than half what any of the stateside nissan diesel dealers charge. Plus you get more modern parts that were used in the nissan patrol down under instead of the old style 5 ring crack prone pistons that are available here. They also give outstanding customer service and know their shit about those motors.

#26 ·
Sixty-Ninth Airborne said:
Is there a way to tell the close t-19 from the wide t-19 when junkyarding through a pile of trannys? Different stamp on the case or anything?
Short answer: no

some people say there is a certain tab or tag on the cover plate, or special number cast into them.... but someone always seems to come up with a contrary example.

Best and surest way: spin it and count, or pull the cover and look at 1st gear: if smaller than the syncro = wide, if same size = close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.