Pirate 4x4 banner

Weekend report

2K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Snoopy 
#1 ·
So last weeks *weekend report* was drowned out by a thread about timing chains ~ so in a (more than likely) vain attempt to keep us on the straight and narrow ~ I've decided to start a weekend report thread. With any luck, this will draw your attention away from the *other* thread.

#3 ·
Friday, we finished up the exo on top of the cab, added bars tieing the rear to the twin hoops over the cab, and got it running (tracking down bad grounds can make a grown man turn into a :crybaby: or go :rasta:) The front bumper got finished up yesterday (sat) and now we have to run the exo from the back/roof to the front. The owner's mounting the 37 MTRs today and we should be moving the shocks to keep them from hitting.

The good thing is that this cage is WAY more complicated than what Rusty will be getting. But as soon as it can be wrapped up, the sooner I can get Rusty in its place. :D :D :D ~ Then its all about a mad-dash to get Rusty to RMIHR on the 19th of July! :eek: :eek:

You know ~ It's a funny thing when you start building a tube structure, it started so simple ~ and then....got so complex! Got Jungle-Gym?

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Wheeled....damn ignition switch quit working...less than a year old! :mad3:

Edit: Maybe hot-start prob...same symptoms as last year's ignition switch prob made me think switch....turn key and nothing....try it again, turn key and it cranks over good, starts right up...

Edit II: I changed out the starter solenoid, hopefully that cures the problem I couldn't duplicate at home... :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Ronnie Scout said:
Wheeled....damn ignition switch quit working...less than a year old! :mad3:
Out of couriosity, what brand switch did you use. I had a cheapy in Snoopy and it lasted about 2 months....then went "Kaput" ~ I bought the $10 key'd switch after that...

#10 · (Edited)
No idea, except it came from NAPA and the guy working that day gave me the "fuck-me" price....close to $40....I almost refused it but I needed it and he swore it was a good price...I haven't pulled it out yet, got back at 1:30am Sun from wheeling:smokin:

Edit: It was almost certainly an Echlin KS6146...Napa website list $37.99

#11 ·
decided to go fishing this weekend since I broke some ribs a couple of weekends fourwheeling :rolleyes: The Scout is still getting worked on ( the gears are done "488's and rear Detroit", next is 205 getting twinsticked and rebuilt, then cutting brakes)...

#13 ·
i spent saturday in bed, sunday in the woods, finally got to push the little stock scout 80, and was very impressed. just flattened the rockers, and maybe screwed up the steering a bit, but who cares, i'm throwing it all away soon for some real driveline parts :flipoff2:

#14 ·
harkinoff said:
decided to go fishing this weekend since I broke some ribs a couple of weekends fourwheeling :rolleyes: The Scout is still getting worked on ( the gears are done "488's and rear Detroit", next is 205 getting twinsticked and rebuilt, then cutting brakes)...
WTF? where were you wheeling? gonna try and get rid of that clunking noise in the 205 huh ;) ?

#15 ·
Tuned the FI system on the crawler a bit more and logged some more data. We will hopefully get a new chip for it soon as it needs to be a little fatter on the bottom end. The only other thing I got done was painted the cage, RED really really RED!!! I'll have to get some pics to Dan so he can post them up. Other then that had a really kick ass party on Saturtday, got home from that Sunday mid day to find another PBB memeber in my driveway with his newly finished 4 Runner.

Carl

#16 ·
cut my fenders, installed a throttle cable, finished the shocks, got everything into working condition and got it down to a mechanic (trusted one at that) to check everything out and make sure it was done correctly. it was making a funny popping noise from the front axle/brakes on deceleration. if everything passes at the mechanic then im taking it up to tahuya orv park next weekend. from there my wheeling saga starts :D . all that has to be done now is a emergency brake and its done!

#18 ·
I primed the carb on my folks' 1200 pickup, stuck a vacuum line back on that had fallen off a can on the firewall, and fired up that truck for the first time in about 6 months. Added a quart of tranny fluid to it, and took it for a drive. Dang farmer bias ply tires on the back must have been square after all that time. It REALLY bounced....

Then, I decided I liked the way the hood on their pickup opened and stayed open without a stick holding it up like mine required, so I became motivated to swap my old rusty hood for one I bought from a vendor 6 months ago.

Had to grind off the bolts holding my old hood on, since the nuts on the inside of the hood all twisted loose.

Went to put the new hood on, and remembered that the vendor had cut the hinge off, rather than unbolting it. So, I put a wrench on the bolt to unthread it, and realized why it was torched off, instead of unbolted. The rear passenger nut was twisted off as well. So, I ground that bolt off, and watched the rust start cascading out of the hood. A HUGE pile of rust came out of it. I need to drill a hole on the driver side and *drain* that rust out as well. I suppose I should have filled the hood with bedliner or something and sloshed it around to keep down further rust, but that was too much trouble.

Once I had the hinge torched off, and the rust drained out, I put the hood on. MUCH nicer to be able to open the hood by just tugging on the release lever, instead of having to reach inside the rusty lip of the old hood, risk lacerating my wrists on the sharp rusty edges to grab the coat hanger hooked to the release lever to finish opening it. A liberal coating of axle grease to the hinge pivot points, and that hood opens smooth as silk, and stays open.

On to tech.

I am almost finished with my diff cover armor. I need to pick up a bit more plate and weld it to the front of the cover I am working on. Then I can weld all that to the existing cover. Should give me a lot better protection from caving in the cover against the ring gear when I bump it against rocks.

I know, I know, Rusty keeps telling me that if I would learn to drive, I wouldn't be caving in my diff covers, but... we all know I can't really drive.. ;)

In the works for this week are plans to finish up the diff armor, weld my muffler support bracket back on, weld my front shock mounts to the spring plates (they are currently just bolted in place) and a couple other minor tweaks. Some maintenance type stuff (grease on the driveline ujoints, tie rod, drag link, etc) tie up some wiring issues.

I know, nothing hard core, or high tech. Just a monkey with a wrench on a nice weekend...

#25 ·
troutbum said:
WTF? where were you wheeling? gonna try and get rid of that clunking noise in the 205 huh ;) ?

The wife and I took the quads and the dogs out to Cedar Fort and did some camping (weekend everyone went to Constrictor).After finally wearing the wife and dogs out I went over to Constrictor to see who showed up and watch some wheelin.. I rode the qaud up Constrictor (about 50 feet) and stacked it up pretty bad trying to climb a ledge, four wheeler came down on my chest, figured I just bruised some ribs, but after a week of feeling worse I finally went in and got them checked to find out they were broke...

Took the Scout out to Andy's to have him put in the gears a few weeks ago. After the rib deal I called him up and said," while your at it, just do the T-case as well".. I know, Lazy ass for having someone do my shit for me, but I don't have a clue on the gear thing, t-case yes, but not with broke ribs :D

#26 ·
Binder said:
I started installing these. Can you say pure beef? 100% fabricated D 60 steering knuckles. Made to accept GM 3/4 ton brakes.

if you don't mind? how much did they set you back and who made them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.