Weekend report - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Weekend report

So last weeks *weekend report* was drowned out by a thread about timing chains ~ so in a (more than likely) vain attempt to keep us on the straight and narrow ~ I've decided to start a weekend report thread. With any luck, this will draw your attention away from the *other* thread.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
As for me, Rusty has been put on hold while I built this for a buddy.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Friday, we finished up the exo on top of the cab, added bars tieing the rear to the twin hoops over the cab, and got it running (tracking down bad grounds can make a grown man turn into a or go ) The front bumper got finished up yesterday (sat) and now we have to run the exo from the back/roof to the front. The owner's mounting the 37 MTRs today and we should be moving the shocks to keep them from hitting.

The good thing is that this cage is WAY more complicated than what Rusty will be getting. But as soon as it can be wrapped up, the sooner I can get Rusty in its place. ~ Then its all about a mad-dash to get Rusty to RMIHR on the 19th of July!

You know ~ It's a funny thing when you start building a tube structure, it started so simple ~ and then....got so complex! Got Jungle-Gym?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2004, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18671
I did nothing. I take that back. I picked up dog poop, trimmed some bushes in the back yard and went swimming. I think I may have got a little to much sun though.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Drove down to the Ozarks, camped on the North Fork River and canoed 24 miles of crystal clear spring-fed waters.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Last edited by Mechanos; 06-27-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2004, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos
Drove down to the Ozarks, camped on the North Fork River and canoed 24 miles of crystal clear spring-fed waters.
Fawk, I havent been to the Ozarks in years. Had a lot of good times with the family there. Hell I think the most fun I had was shooting my Uncles AK-47 at the Cotton Mouth swimming towards the boat!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31672
I looked at my busted (still) scout just before I left for Seattle wednesday. Got back tonight and was too tired to work on it. Yet here I am on the internet instead of in bed...
Sixty-Ninth Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18942
Wheeled....damn ignition switch quit working...less than a year old!

Edit: Maybe hot-start prob...same symptoms as last year's ignition switch prob made me think switch....turn key and nothing....try it again, turn key and it cranks over good, starts right up...

Edit II: I changed out the starter solenoid, hopefully that cures the problem I couldn't duplicate at home...

Last edited by Ronnie Scout; 07-03-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Ronnie Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Scout
Wheeled....damn ignition switch quit working...less than a year old!
Out of couriosity, what brand switch did you use. I had a cheapy in Snoopy and it lasted about 2 months....then went "Kaput" ~ I bought the $10 key'd switch after that...
Old 06-28-2004, 02:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18942
No idea, except it came from NAPA and the guy working that day gave me the "fuck-me" price....close to $40....I almost refused it but I needed it and he swore it was a good price...I haven't pulled it out yet, got back at 1:30am Sun from wheeling

Edit: It was almost certainly an Echlin KS6146...Napa website list $37.99

Last edited by Ronnie Scout; 06-28-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Ronnie Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
decided to go fishing this weekend since I broke some ribs a couple of weekends fourwheeling The Scout is still getting worked on ( the gears are done "488's and rear Detroit", next is 205 getting twinsticked and rebuilt, then cutting brakes)...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 29271
I washed the truck. Looked at the leaking pinion seal........

Decided beer was better.

Got the pasture cut and baled.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 16722
i spent saturday in bed, sunday in the woods, finally got to push the little stock scout 80, and was very impressed. just flattened the rockers, and maybe screwed up the steering a bit, but who cares, i'm throwing it all away soon for some real driveline parts
Old 06-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinoff
decided to go fishing this weekend since I broke some ribs a couple of weekends fourwheeling The Scout is still getting worked on ( the gears are done "488's and rear Detroit", next is 205 getting twinsticked and rebuilt, then cutting brakes)...
WTF? where were you wheeling? gonna try and get rid of that clunking noise in the 205 huh ?
troutbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Tuned the FI system on the crawler a bit more and logged some more data. We will hopefully get a new chip for it soon as it needs to be a little fatter on the bottom end. The only other thing I got done was painted the cage, RED really really RED!!! I'll have to get some pics to Dan so he can post them up. Other then that had a really kick ass party on Saturtday, got home from that Sunday mid day to find another PBB memeber in my driveway with his newly finished 4 Runner.

Carl
Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 18501
Send a message via AIM to IHScoutman14
cut my fenders, installed a throttle cable, finished the shocks, got everything into working condition and got it down to a mechanic (trusted one at that) to check everything out and make sure it was done correctly. it was making a funny popping noise from the front axle/brakes on deceleration. if everything passes at the mechanic then im taking it up to tahuya orv park next weekend. from there my wheeling saga starts . all that has to be done now is a emergency brake and its done!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Hmm.. fattend up the 1405 on the 392 in my tow rig - went one stage rich on cruise and power, since the plugs were white.

Didn't even take it for a test drive.

Spent the rest of the weekend wiring the shop.. the end is near..
Old 06-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7953
I primed the carb on my folks' 1200 pickup, stuck a vacuum line back on that had fallen off a can on the firewall, and fired up that truck for the first time in about 6 months. Added a quart of tranny fluid to it, and took it for a drive. Dang farmer bias ply tires on the back must have been square after all that time. It REALLY bounced....

Then, I decided I liked the way the hood on their pickup opened and stayed open without a stick holding it up like mine required, so I became motivated to swap my old rusty hood for one I bought from a vendor 6 months ago.

Had to grind off the bolts holding my old hood on, since the nuts on the inside of the hood all twisted loose.

Went to put the new hood on, and remembered that the vendor had cut the hinge off, rather than unbolting it. So, I put a wrench on the bolt to unthread it, and realized why it was torched off, instead of unbolted. The rear passenger nut was twisted off as well. So, I ground that bolt off, and watched the rust start cascading out of the hood. A HUGE pile of rust came out of it. I need to drill a hole on the driver side and *drain* that rust out as well. I suppose I should have filled the hood with bedliner or something and sloshed it around to keep down further rust, but that was too much trouble.

Once I had the hinge torched off, and the rust drained out, I put the hood on. MUCH nicer to be able to open the hood by just tugging on the release lever, instead of having to reach inside the rusty lip of the old hood, risk lacerating my wrists on the sharp rusty edges to grab the coat hanger hooked to the release lever to finish opening it. A liberal coating of axle grease to the hinge pivot points, and that hood opens smooth as silk, and stays open.

On to tech.

I am almost finished with my diff cover armor. I need to pick up a bit more plate and weld it to the front of the cover I am working on. Then I can weld all that to the existing cover. Should give me a lot better protection from caving in the cover against the ring gear when I bump it against rocks.

I know, I know, Rusty keeps telling me that if I would learn to drive, I wouldn't be caving in my diff covers, but... we all know I can't really drive..

In the works for this week are plans to finish up the diff armor, weld my muffler support bracket back on, weld my front shock mounts to the spring plates (they are currently just bolted in place) and a couple other minor tweaks. Some maintenance type stuff (grease on the driveline ujoints, tie rod, drag link, etc) tie up some wiring issues.

I know, nothing hard core, or high tech. Just a monkey with a wrench on a nice weekend...
[b][color=orangered]Stripling Warrior 4x4[/color][/b]
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
I started installing these. Can you say pure beef? 100% fabricated D 60 steering knuckles. Made to accept GM 3/4 ton brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Binder; 06-28-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Binder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Installed.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2004, 05:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Brake.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
So when do you order your new Deadenbear/Crane inner Cs.. before, or after you rip one from the housing?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Cool, so your 1-ton brakes wouldn't work with these knuckles or you just wanted to go to the 3/4 ton stuff?
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
I have plans to gusset the inner C. Should do the trick.
The 1 ton backing plate will not fit these knuckles.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum
WTF? where were you wheeling? gonna try and get rid of that clunking noise in the 205 huh ?

The wife and I took the quads and the dogs out to Cedar Fort and did some camping (weekend everyone went to Constrictor).After finally wearing the wife and dogs out I went over to Constrictor to see who showed up and watch some wheelin.. I rode the qaud up Constrictor (about 50 feet) and stacked it up pretty bad trying to climb a ledge, four wheeler came down on my chest, figured I just bruised some ribs, but after a week of feeling worse I finally went in and got them checked to find out they were broke...

Took the Scout out to Andy's to have him put in the gears a few weeks ago. After the rib deal I called him up and said," while your at it, just do the T-case as well".. I know, Lazy ass for having someone do my shit for me, but I don't have a clue on the gear thing, t-case yes, but not with broke ribs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.