Pirate 4x4 banner

Flat top knuckle sources

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Chief yelling alot 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. I have searched.

If you have a dana 44 from a IH and you need Flat Top Knuckles.
Find the 8-bolt flat tops from the 74 / 74 IH trucks / travelalls.

(1)Find Chevy 6-bolt flat tops from 73 - 76.5 K5 / K10 and redrill to use all the old IH stuff.

(2)Find Ford 6-bolt flat tops from ??? and redrill to use all the old IH stuff.

(3)?Find late 80's Ford F250 8-bolt flat tops and need to possible grind to use all the old IH stuff.?

(4)Find Jeep 6-bolt flat tops from 74-76 Waggy / cherokee / J10 and redrill to use all the old IH stuff.

(5)Find Dodge ?-bolt flat tops and ?redrill?

I want to find out every option for a webpage.

#5 ·
TravisSSII said:
What all do you want me to swap? Outers?
IMG]https://webspace.utexas.edu/hawvertr/dana44.jpg[/IMG]
If I get new knuckles I will get new outers? :confused:
use the chebby 6 bolt spindles,brakes,stub and swap the rotors for a F150 set. You get better brakes and hubs. No redrilling BS and you can sell the disc brake scout on the BB and come out ahead.

#9 ·
binderbound said:
Jesus H. Christ! This isnt brain surgery. 3/4 of us on the board have done it. ITS A BOLT ON DEAL! Do a search, print it out, go to the yard. Go home and do the swap in an hour. :flipoff2:
Have to agree with that.

Been covered, IN DETAIL many times on this board, the BB, and the PBB General section, and I would bet the Jeep board as well.

DO MORE SEARCHING.

I also don't know were you got some of your info. 8-bolt knuckle on a Ford D44????? I have only heard of 5 (most common) or 6-bolt. Besides, you don't want Ford stuff as the flat-top isn't the best and doesn't have the most meat.

Up to '79 Full-Size-Jeep with a disc D44 front has the knuckles, caliper bracket, calipers, stub shaft and spindle you want for the f-150 outer swap.

'73 to about '76 Chevy 1/2 with a D44 are most likely to have knuckles you need. As well as the caliper bracket, calipers, stub shaft. The earlier ones might have the "small bearing" spindle you need for the f-150 outers as well.

'78/'79 Dodge has the "better" outer to use the "big bearing" spindle, easiest to steal the entire knuckle-out if you can. They typicaly have decent flat-tops as well.

Course all this has been discused in other threads in the past 2 weeks...

#10 · (Edited)
binderbound said:
Jesus H. Christ! This isnt brain surgery. 3/4 of us on the board have done it. ITS A BOLT ON DEAL! Do a search, print it out, go to the yard. Go home and do the swap in an hour. :flipoff2:
Got the page to print out? I was trying to make one here. But all I get is some trash about how it has been covered. Well if It has been covered like this ( and most of the time it is ) It is not very helpful.

Thanks to all that have really helped. I don't think I have the money for everything. I will most likely just grab the outers and redrill.

" Quoting Mr.N's Dana Article Main Page Link
Swapping the Knuckles Out for high steer and 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern: You've Three options

Option 1: Use a mix of Chevy/FSJ and Ford parts. You'll need a Chevy or Full Size Jeep Dana 44 flat top knuckles, spindle, caliper mount plate and outer axle shaft from a 73-76, see chart for exact years and BOM. To convert these to the Ford 5 on 5.5” (also the same bolt pattern as a Jeep CJ, Scout II and many other vehicles) you’ll need a 1976-1984 or 1987-1995 Ford hub, rotor and bearing. My suggestion is use 76-79 parts, but you can use an 80’s Ford IFS Dana 44 (minus 1986 and some 85 as they had a unique style.) Pull the hub with the bearings, rotor and lock-out. Any standard Dana 44 ½ ton or Chevy ½ ton 10 bolt axle lock outs should work, and spare are always good.

Option 2: Use only Ford parts. One catch, you'll need a 1/2 Super-Cab knuckle, see above General misconceptions table for reason. If you have a nice Ford 1/2 ton axle with new calipers and rotor I suggest just find in a knuckle from a 1/2 Super-Cab, as that is the only part you'll need. (Note to self, check spindle part numbers in Dana book to confirm this) Or you can just grab the entire Knuckles Out from a 1/2 Super-Cab and bolt it up to your inner knuckle.

Option 3: Run IHC or Dodge parts. Because of the IHC 8 bolt spindle and the limited years plus the few truck produced I don't recommend this option. Save those knuckles for the Scout guys, plus you've have to swap knuckles out and the parts cast more. Dodge parts knuckles out because of the uniqueness of them(?), years are 1980.5 - 93 and 86 and up is an auto or fulltime hub.
"

What is the deal with Dodge stuff???? :confused: The more I search the more confused I get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.