Pirate 4x4 banner

New scouter in OZ

538 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NickF 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

Im from Australia and i just bought a 78 traveller converted to a terra
It has a 345 with a two barrel and a auto box

My question is about the carbie
I got of the phone with a guy who has a scout and he took the origional carbie off and put in a 4 barell and said the engine lost power between 500 and 1500 rpms

Can this happen with more fuel?
Also what size is the standard carbie and if a 4 barrell is a better choice whats a good size, i was considering a 650 holley

Thanks for the help?

#2 ·
vouli01 said:
Hi guys

Im from Australia and i just bought a 78 traveller converted to a terra
It has a 345 with a two barrel and a auto box

My question is about the carbie
I got of the phone with a guy who has a scout and he took the origional carbie off and put in a 4 barell and said the engine lost power between 500 and 1500 rpms

Can this happen with more fuel?
Also what size is the standard carbie and if a 4 barrell is a better choice whats a good size, i was considering a 650 holley

Thanks for the help?
1) Welcome. If you're new to the Pirate board then you may want to hang back and see what these guy's do to people asking non-extreme wheeling questions.

2) Most non extreme wheeling questions can be answered here

3) Any carb, with the wrong jetting and the wrong CFM (along with any other crazy thing) can blow your power out the window. The best thing for you to do is ask local 'muscle car' style speed shops in your local area ~ they'll be most apt to answer this question since they know what altitude you're running at.

Again, welcome ~ have fun, enjoy the sights, sounds ~ and stuff.

#3 ·
Size-wise, a 650cfm carb is fine for the 345. I can't remember for sure, but I think the original Carter Thermoquad carbs that IH used were 600 or 650cfm. You're probably going to need to get some tuning parts for the Holley, however. If it's used, it could be jetted for something with open headers, a wild cam, or who knows what. Depending on what it's set for, your motor might lose some low-end. www.binderbulletin.org has some great insights on the IHC mills. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.