Pirate 4x4 banner

4th of July Weekend Report

2K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Darel 
#1 ·
Well, since I finally got some wheeling pics I figured I'd kick off the weekend update. Near Glen Lyon, PA:

The only casualties were my power steering hose, some rock rash on the fresh paint and my buddy's SBC-powered Heep jumping time all over. I had a field day pointing out how IHs don't have timing chains. :)

Oh, and bumping up an SOA on my "things to do" list. At least the complete lack of flex keeps the tires out of the fenders.

Darel

See less See more
#2 ·
i was wheeling in PA this weekend as well ---rausch creek --with the keystone krawlers

of course it was in my tacoma since the scout aint ready yet --next time your gonna head out can you drop me a PM or email -if you wouldn't mind a tag-along -id like to see a scout wheeling in person so i can see what i have to look forward too --TIA

#4 ·
I rebuilt the rear end in my Scout and put 4.88's in it on Friday(have yet to do the front). Drove around on Saturday and found gear oil all over the rear diffy :mad3: . Took the whole rear end back apart on Sunday and found nothing wrong. Drove around and again rear diffy was covered in gear oil :mad3: :mad3: . By now I was pissed. Then I noticed a little drip coming from the vent on my Dana300 t-case. I removed the vent and put a nipple on it and ran a hose to the engine compartment so it would vent up high. Drove again and this time no oil. The higher rpm's from the lower gears was causing the t-case to blow out oil. I should have known this as Dana300's are notorius for this :smokin: . Lesson relearned.

Jeff
________
Vaporizer Bowl

#5 ·
I still have all 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes, but my hearing seems to be a little off.

Diesel smoke and I wheeled Red up the crushers finally this weekend. Crushers-1 Red-0.
Rock took tie rod and draglink, and turned them into horse shoes. They were .25 wall DOM too :( Time to go bigger. Getting creative with the winch,spare tire,wood,ratchet strap, and snatch block, we were able to straighten it and driver her home.

#8 ·
JaccDaRipper said:
i was wheeling in PA this weekend as well ---rausch creek --with the keystone krawlers

of course it was in my tacoma since the scout aint ready yet --next time your gonna head out can you drop me a PM or email -if you wouldn't mind a tag-along -id like to see a scout wheeling in person so i can see what i have to look forward too --TIA

I'll do that. I think in a couple weeks - I left the Scout with my buddy in Wilkes-Barre to go over it and tell me what I need for PA inspection. I gotta go back in a couple weeks and pick it up (I live over 2 hours away). It'd be a shame to waste a weekend.
Darel

#10 ·
Started to tube work on Rusty.

EDIT: Here are a couple pictures for ya ~ more of them are over on the 'New Project' thread.

New fuel cell from Summit! :grinpimp:

the start of the cab area

Damian is a happy boy!
:cool2: :D :eek: :) :grinpimp:

#13 ·
Spent all day Sat. at the track watching IRL practice, qualifying and then watched the CTS race. Spent all day Sun. on the flightline watching the airshow... the tactical demo of the F-14 was absolutely awesome. Then went down by the river to watch the fireworks show. Didn't do a damn thing today except slap a turnbuckle on the turbo wastegate on my '01 CTD.

#17 ·
HoS,
I was super stoked not to leave significant portions of the glass body on the trail. The only part of the rig that suffered any damage was the pass door, which is still steel so I was lucky there.
I'll tell you, I can't wait to ditch the SUA. Dear God are those 4" springs stiff. SOA on stock springs and Chevy axles should lighten it up a bit. Strangely, I do get a lot of compliments from guys on keeping it "old school", though really I was just in a big hurry to get it wheelable. It was extremely stable off-camber, though, which I may have to give up when I go SOA on softer springs.
The radiator is awesome, considering it was kind of an experiment I'm thrilled with the results. It was 90 degrees that day, I have a 180-degree stat and the fan set to kick on at 185 and it rarely even came on just crawling around. Oddly, about the only time I really need the fan is when I'm cruising. It warms up a bit then. Not exactly aerodynamic, you know?
For anyone who hasn't followed, I bought a Summit aluminum rad for a Ford application ($260), welded on brackets to set it 1.5" forward, bought 2.25 OD aluminum tubing ($16) and made new necks for the rad. Since I can't weld AL, I had to pay someone and the total for the whole radiator deal came to around $310, which is in the neighborhood of what you'd pay for a quality stock Scout recored rad. Just one more option to consider if you don't need your rad RIGHT NOW.
Darel

#18 ·
Darel said:
HoS,
I was super stoked not to leave significant portions of the glass body on the trail. The only part of the rig that suffered any damage was the pass door, which is still steel so I was lucky there.
I'll tell you, I can't wait to ditch the SUA. Dear God are those 4" springs stiff. SOA on stock springs and Chevy axles should lighten it up a bit. Strangely, I do get a lot of compliments from guys on keeping it "old school", though really I was just in a big hurry to get it wheelable. It was extremely stable off-camber, though, which I may have to give up when I go SOA on softer springs.
The radiator is awesome, considering it was kind of an experiment I'm thrilled with the results. It was 90 degrees that day, I have a 180-degree stat and the fan set to kick on at 185 and it rarely even came on just crawling around. Oddly, about the only time I really need the fan is when I'm cruising. It warms up a bit then. Not exactly aerodynamic, you know?
For anyone who hasn't followed, I bought a Summit aluminum rad for a Ford application ($260), welded on brackets to set it 1.5" forward, bought 2.25 OD aluminum tubing ($16) and made new necks for the rad. Since I can't weld AL, I had to pay someone and the total for the whole radiator deal came to around $310, which is in the neighborhood of what you'd pay for a quality stock Scout recored rad. Just one more option to consider if you don't need your rad RIGHT NOW.
Darel

Darel,

How much of a temperature drop did you experince with the aluminum radiator? My Scout was running at 200 degrees today running down the freeway, 220-225 in town. Hot day as it was around 95 degrees plus I had the a/c on max. Been toying around with the idea of the aluminum radiator as I already have a basic four core.

Jeff
________
thai girl Cams

#21 ·
Darel said:
HoS,
Darel
Odd. Mine runs cooler on the freeway than crawling, and I do have a shroud... Mine sits on 185 on the freeway, rock solid. Crawling, it kicks up quite a bit, but I can't say how much, because I added the aftermarket guages after my last wheeling trip...

#22 ·
Sanded and painted the hood on my 1310. Rustoleum white. <chuckle> Came out pretty good, actually. Now the rest of the paint on the truck doesn't match. So, I will be repainting the rest of it... Rustoleum white.... ;)

Swapped spare tires. Replaced a 33 I *borrowed* from Binder a couple years ago, but, thankfully never needed, with a brand spanking new 35. I know, still running training wheels... ;)

Pulled my tire carrier air tank off, and dropped a jerry can in its place. With the new air tank, I don't need that air box back there. I think I'll drag it to Roundup and see if anyone wants/needs it.

Then, I sat and stared at my rear axle, trying to figure out why it leaks diff fluid occasionally. Can't find any rhyme or reason for it. Only leaks sometimes. Leaks a spot of oil about 3 inches across... comes from passenger rear tube. It *seems* to only do it if I am nose high, but I don't have to be *much* nose high. And, it doesn't leak continually. It looks like *maybe* oil gets into the tube while I am driving, but when moving, it gets spun out and away. Once stopped, residual oil runs out the bottom of the tube out the seal, and onto the ground... But, it doesn't *always* do it. I ran around a lot this weekend, sunny warm day, no leaking.

Go figure. Nothing like an intermittent oil leak to drive you nuts...

Binder, Thanks for the loan of the spare tire and wheel. Would you like me to return it to you, or hang onto it till you find someone else who needs it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.