Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 20 conversion questions...

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BamaScout 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried Border Parts conversion kit for the Dana 20? I spoke with Jon at Border and he said the kit will get you around 3:1 ratio. From what I understand the gears are:

Top: 18-8-37 (ford bronco rear slider gear)
Input: 18-8-23 (jeep dana 18)
Intermediate: 18-5-9 (jeep dana 18)
Bottom: 18-8-24 (jeep dana 18)
Bottom: 18-8-22 (jeep dana 18)

From what I understand this is slightly different than the conversion instructions posted on so many boards. Seems a member over at the BB had the conversion done based on Jim Weeds site but the transfer case blew out soon after the conversion. Seems this is a better and more reliable alternative. Given these gear numbers does anyone know if in fact it will get you to 3:1 or is it closer to 2.5:1? Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
Looks like a recipe for 2.46:1 to me.. same as every other conversion out there.

One of these days I'll get around to finishing putting all Bronco parts in my Scout '20 for 2.46:1 without cannibalizing a Dana 18 in the process.

Maybe I'll put the Scout parts back into the EB case and sell it to a racer that hates the 2.46:1 low range of the Bronco 'case. :D

#4 ·
Eagle-Mark said:
Like to see what the final gear and price are.
Called yesterday to get a price and it looks like its around $385.00 for the gear set and another $85.00 for the shim pack, dedent (sp?) ball and springs, thrust washers, etc. I think I may look around for used parts and give it a shot. Seems kind of expensive or maybe I'm just cheap :eek:

#5 ·
pityocamptes said:
Called yesterday to get a price and it looks like its around $385.00 for the gear set and another $85.00 for the shim pack, dedent (sp?) ball and springs, thrust washers, etc. I think I may look around for used parts and give it a shot. Seems kind of expensive or maybe I'm just cheap :eek:
Yep...that is the combo for the 2.46:1 conversion. NOVAK and Terra have a lot of information about these combos and such on their sites.

385.00 is too high unless they are BRAND NEW GEARS...and from what I remember they do not make the Bronco slider any longer. So it is a junk out or NOS part. I could be wrong...memories do fail :) You would be best off just looking for a used 3.15:1 Terra kit or save your money for a new kit. All brand new components and a warranty.

No matter what...as soon as you start converting your T-Case it is going to start to $$ add up quickly...maybe go with a good used 300 and run with the factory 2.62:1... :confused:

#6 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
Yep...that is the combo for the 2.46:1 conversion. NOVAK and Terra have a lot of information about these combos and such on their sites.

385.00 is too high unless they are BRAND NEW GEARS...and from what I remember they do not make the Bronco slider any longer. So it is a junk out or NOS part. I could be wrong...memories do fail :) You would be best off just looking for a used 3.15:1 Terra kit or save your money for a new kit. All brand new components and a warranty.

No matter what...as soon as you start converting your T-Case it is going to start to $$ add up quickly...maybe go with a good used 300 and run with the factory 2.62:1... :confused:
They are new gears. I picked up a dana 20 for $20.00 bucks so any conversion, if cheap :grinpimp: , would be ok. I found a site that carries the rear bronco slider so its do able. Got some calls out for good used gears. if the price is right I may do it, if not I'll just rebuild the dana 20 and call it even.

#8 · (Edited)
OK. Finally got all my gears. All gears, including thrust washers, shim packs, idler shaft, detent ball and springs, needle bearings were new with the exception of the Bronco gear. The new stuff ran me $210.00 with shipping and the bronco gear ran me $85.00 with shipping. Anyway, this weekend I plan on trimming the case, etc. including doing the twin stick conversion. Once I am done how can I determine what the final gear ratio is while the xfer case is still out of the truck? Is it just a matter of putting it in low and turning the input gear and watching how many times the output shaft turns? Or is it easier to install it to find out what the final ratio is? Border parts originally told me that this setup would yield close to if not a little over 3:1. Thanks.

I'll keep everyone posted, if anyone is interested. Oh, the place were I got the bronco gear only had a few left and they were the cheapest by far in case anyone is planning the same conversion.

#9 ·
pityocamptes said:
OK. Finally got all my gears. All gears, including thrust washers, shim packs, idler shaft, detent ball and springs, needle bearings were new with the exception of the Bronco gear. The new stuff ran me $210.00 with shipping and the bronco gear ran me $85.00 with shipping. Anyway, this weekend I plan on trimming the case, etc. including doing the twin stick conversion. Once I am done how can I determine what the final gear ratio is while the xfer case is still out of the truck? Is it just a matter of putting it in low and turning the input gear and watching how many times the output shaft turns? Or is it easier to install it to find out what the final ratio is? Border parts originally told me that this setup would yield close to if not a little over 3:1. Thanks.

I'll keep everyone posted, if anyone is interested. Oh, the place were I got the bronco gear only had a few left and they were the cheapest by far in case anyone is planning the same conversion.
Count the teeth on the gears and do the math.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.