Pirate 4x4 banner

New to the board figured I'd go ahead and get ready for the abuse

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BamaScout 
#1 ·
I've been reading tech here for a while. I figured I'd give you guys a few pics of my mess in the garage that I'm slowly getting together.
This is the 1st 4x4 I've ever owned, and really my first attempt at anything like this.
I'm doing the typical SOA with a cut and turn on scout 44's, swapping in a d300, replacing the driveshafts with upgraded CV's, regearing to 4.27's, 3" body lift, and lots of other odds and ends.
It has been alot of fun so far with plenty of headaches along the way.
Hopefully I will have some wheeling pics for the next post.
:usa:
Project Scout

#3 ·
Yep, you've got a job on your hands.
I'm getting ready for the SOA myself, if you have time, how about give me a yell with any pointers while they are fresh in your mind.
I've got a body lift right now, so hopefully when I'm done I'll be ready for atleast 35's.
Look forward to seeing some updated pics.

God Bless,

Dblbeard

#4 ·
Pointers....hmm.... Beating knuckles off the axle sucks, but.... if you use a portable band saw and cut the weld all the way around you will save yourself some trouble. You still have to beat the hell out of it though.

I'd check for dodge full size axles before I did the above again. Although, you may still have to cut and turn the front axle. Atleast you would have a beafier more stable setup. The reason I say dodge is that I wouldn't want that 14bolt plow in the rear. Don't let cost disturb you too bad, boneheads like me that don't know any better will still by scout 44's for $300+ a set.

I have not setup the front end yet, so I'll have to let you know how that goes. I think that it is pretty straight forward as far as getting the angles goes. My main concern is getting a good weld on those knuckles.

Good luck with it.

#5 ·
BamaScout said:
Pointers....hmm.... Beating knuckles off the axle sucks, but.... if you use a portable band saw and cut the weld all the way around you will save yourself some trouble. You still have to beat the hell out of it though.

I'd check for dodge full size axles before I did the above again. Although, you may still have to cut and turn the front axle. Atleast you would have a beafier more stable setup. The reason I say dodge is that I wouldn't want that 14bolt plow in the rear. Don't let cost disturb you too bad, boneheads like me that don't know any better will still by scout 44's for $300+ a set.

I have not setup the front end yet, so I'll have to let you know how that goes. I think that it is pretty straight forward as far as getting the angles goes. My main concern is getting a good weld on those knuckles.

Good luck with it.
Your gonna find that after a SOA swap your rear driveline will be too short. I've used the rear line out of a old full size wagoneer. They will be about 1,3/4" too long. I just shorten it and the benefit of the Waggy rear line is it has a longer slip yoke on it. For the front shaft I "think" we used a shaft from a Automatic tranny Scout II. This was on a standard tranny Scout II setup I did this on.

#6 ·
BamaScout said:
I've been reading tech here for a while. I figured I'd give you guys a few pics of my mess in the garage that I'm slowly getting together.
This is the 1st 4x4 I've ever owned, and really my first attempt at anything like this.
I'm doing the typical SOA with a cut and turn on scout 44's, swapping in a d300, replacing the driveshafts with upgraded CV's, regearing to 4.27's, 3" body lift, and lots of other odds and ends.
It has been alot of fun so far with plenty of headaches along the way.
Hopefully I will have some wheeling pics for the next post.
:usa:
Project Scout
THE ONLY PROBLEM ABOUT THE 4.27 GEARS IS THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO GO TO A BIGGER REAR LIKE A 60 IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL HAVE TO REGEAR THE FRONT BECAUSE THE 4.27 ISN'T FOUND IN A D60. JUST THOUGHT IT MIGHT MAKE YOUR FUTURE EASIER

#7 ·
Shadow man said:
Your gonna find that after a SOA swap your rear driveline will be too short. I've used the rear line out of a old full size wagoneer. They will be about 1,3/4" too long. I just shorten it and the benefit of the Waggy rear line is it has a longer slip yoke on it. For the front shaft I "think" we used a shaft from a Automatic tranny Scout II. This was on a standard tranny Scout II setup I did this on.
I found on an auto scout the stock front driveshaft still fits. I don't know how much droop you can get, but I have a pic of my rig SOA on 35s stuffing the passenger side front until I ran out of slip.

#8 ·
IHC4B said:
THE ONLY PROBLEM ABOUT THE 4.27 GEARS IS THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO GO TO A BIGGER REAR LIKE A 60 IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL HAVE TO REGEAR THE FRONT BECAUSE THE 4.27 ISN'T FOUND IN A D60. JUST THOUGHT IT MIGHT MAKE YOUR FUTURE EASIER

You know, I haven't thought about that. That is a very good point to consider. I might have to sell the 4.27's and go ahead and get the gears I wanted to beging with. I'll also check on the ford 9" and see if it will take a 4.27.'s.

I'm pretty sure that the 9" isn't as strong as a d60, but aren't they a big step from a d44?

#9 ·
BamaScout said:
You know, I haven't thought about that. That is a very good point to consider. I might have to sell the 4.27's and go ahead and get the gears I wanted to beging with. I'll also check on the ford 9" and see if it will take a 4.27.'s.

I'm pretty sure that the 9" isn't as strong as a d60, but aren't they a big step from a d44?
Well, you can't get 4.27 gears for a Dana 60.. but so what?

My Dana 60F has 4.30 R&P.. close enough match to 4.27s, though in my case, I put 4.30s in it to match my 4.30 RA-15 rear.

#10 ·
tsm1mt said:
Well, you can't get 4.27 gears for a Dana 60.. but so what?

My Dana 60F has 4.30 R&P.. close enough match to 4.27s, though in my case, I put 4.30s in it to match my 4.30 RA-15 rear.
Good point Tom. This scout will never see much pavement anyway and I could use that money for plenty of other stuff..... I really need a welder, brake lines, and maybe a hydraboost..... and a 2nd job...lol

#12 ·
BamaScout said:
Good point Tom. This scout will never see much pavement anyway and I could use that money for plenty of other stuff..... I really need a welder, brake lines, and maybe a hydraboost..... and a 2nd job...lol
4.27 vs 4.30 is a negligible amount. Your tire pressure and front wear vs. rear wear is a bigger difference.

Ford used 3.54 and 3.55 gears, and 3.54 and 3.50 gears together.. 4.09/4.11.. 4.09/4.10 are common..

BFD.

#13 ·
....and the money hole gets deeper... selling the scout 44's and all the parts and going with D60's.... sure as hell wish I would have decided to do this earlier...oh well, what the hell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.