Pirate 4x4 banner

Goin one ton

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  4xFreak 
#1 · (Edited)
It's going through it's second rebuild right now with one ton chevy axles, 52" rear K5 springs up front, and 56" suburban springs in the rear. It will be running a 345 engine, TF727 tranny, D20, 4.56 gears and 36" tires. It was previously all stock with a SOA, 3.07s, 31s and a welded front diff. It did fairly well, but I had the parts laying around and wanted to take it a step further.

This past weekend I got both rear springs mounted. They were very close to the same length as the stock springs, so all I had to do was make the front mounts wider and build new shackles for the rear. The chevy springs moved the rear axle back 2" from stock.

I still need to move the spring perches, hook up brake lines, build shock mounts and do something to the driveshaft. With weight on the springs the top of the truck comes to just below my shoulder (I am 6'3).

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Mechanos said:
Yup, shave it!!!!!
I plan to eventually shave it and build some kind of skid plate for it. Right now I'm just trying to get it put together by the end of the month.

I also want to run 38s, but I can only afford 36s right now.

#7 ·
I'm not planning to extend the frame if I dont have to. I know they are good for about 4" of lift on a chevy, dont know about the scout yet. They APPEAR to have about as much arch as the scout springs, but I havent layed them side by side yet.

The rear scout spring's arch was close to the chevy 56s.

#9 ·
It might be. I'll do some more measuring in a little bit when I go back out.

#11 ·
I am going to extend the frame. The chevy springs are about 10" longer, which would put the rear mount just behind the body mount. They will also move the axle foward about 3" if I leave the rear mount in the same location, which I plan to do.

Extending the frame will give me plenty of room to mount a winch anyway.

#14 ·
Mechanos said:
Looks like you could use a 2x4 laying flat as a jackstand under the diff :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Is that a 67" or 63" 14-bolt?

It's definately going to scrape more than your rear axle, since it might see a trail sometime soon :flipoff2: :flipoff2: .

#15 ·
Scout8hundred said:
It's definately going to scrape more than your rear axle, since it might see a trail sometime soon :flipoff2: :flipoff2: .
I take the laptop out into the garage and show it pics of the trail rides all the time.... so far it's content to just look at them and doesn't actually want to go on any. :eek:

#16 ·
I have no idea how wide it is. It came out of a single rear wheel 81 K30.

I have about 9" of clearance under the diff. housing, that's about an inch more than I had before with the 31s and D44s. I'm going to shave it eventually. I'm also getting some 36" swampers this weekend which might give me a little more clearance since they are probably slightly taller.

#22 ·
#23 ·
so the last picture on page 3 is with the wider axles on them??

thats 67" width on the rear?
and what on the front??

and what backspacing??

i have a 64" wide D61 for the rear and didn't want to run it for wheel coverage legal issues--but im sure i can get away and cover what you got sticking out there in taht pic

#24 ·
64" wide would be 5.5-6" wider than stock...

so the tire would stick out ~3" farther on each side (porvinding same rim, same tire).

Should be easy enough to cover with a flare or something. What are the laws you have to comply with??

The axles in the pictures *should* be 69" in the front, and 67" in the rear... other factors would be tire size and width, and wheel size, width and back-spacing.

hey 4XFreak, re-edit the pictures at the start of this thread so they are not red "X" 's anymore....

#25 ·
Fixed the pics.

This pic (http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album158/s307) is with the scout 44 still in the front and the 14blt in back. I dont have any idea what the backspacing on the old wheels was, but the new ones stick out way more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.