Pirate 4x4 banner

How long do my shocks need to be?

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  The Joker 
#1 ·
Ok, This is a 68 Scout 800 with 6.5" of total lift. 4" shackels and 2.5 springs. How long do my shocks need to be and which ones do I need? The fronts look pretty simple, eyelets on both ends of the shock and just use the stock bolts etc. Should I use the original mounting locations in the rear? that is the bottom bolts on the Leaf spring plates and the top mounts on the brackets in the inside of the frame? Or should I do a different setup? Also, would having a goofy leaf/buggy spring in the back change the length of my shocks? I dont plan on doing a ton of flexy stuff, This is mostly a beach cruiser or mud truck. I doubt I will ever be in a situation where I would pull the pins out of the rear leafs and let them down.

this is the buggy spring, it looks a little different. I ahave pulled the lift blocks out and reduced it to 6.5 it was 10.5 and too much. its all painted up and perty now.

See less See more
#2 ·
The answer is: long enough to not bottom out at full droop or full compression. Figure out how much flex you can get or want and limit the travel with bumpstops, limit straps, etc. Then get a shock with a little bit more travel than the maximum travel measured off your rig.

#3 ·
I would get that thing moving first , then do the shocks last .
Figure out where you want to mount the shocks .
Then cycle the suspension , to measure the amount of up and down movement .
Buy the shocks with the right amount of travel for your needs .
Weld some tabs to the differentials .
Get some Ford front tower shock mounts , they work good .

#4 ·
Buckshot33 said:
Ok, This is a 68 Scout 800 with 6.5" of total lift. 4" shackels and 2.5 springs.
nice

I dont plan on doing a ton of flexy stuff, This is mostly a beach cruiser or mud truck. I doubt I will ever be in a situation where I would pull the pins out of the rear leafs and let them down.
And it seemed like a good idea to ask this on a Rockcrawling Forum?

#6 ·
What Mechanos said. Flex the thing out and measure what you need.

If you never plan on pulling the pins, then why did you put in the buggy spring??

For a mud runner your going to want a stiff-ish suspension, and traction/anti-wrap bars. For a beach runner... a little softer for comfort and bump absorption, but still traction bars.

Abi Normal said:
Get rid of the overloads and blocks . :rainbow:
didn't you read his post?? he already got rid of the blocks...

:rolleyes: newbies.

#7 ·
#8 ·
RustoleumWhite said:
What Mechanos said. Flex the thing out and measure what you need.

If you never plan on pulling the pins, then why did you put in the buggy spring??

For a mud runner your going to want a stiff-ish suspension, and traction/anti-wrap bars. For a beach runner... a little softer for comfort and bump absorption, but still traction bars.

didn't you read his post?? he already got rid of the blocks...

:rolleyes: newbies.
The buggy spring was on it when I bought it. So you guys think wheel hop will be a problem? Ok, Im good with the shock length now, I'm just gonna take it over to my buddys shop with a forklift and see how it flexes and go from there.

I dont proof read message board posts so "Shackels vs Shackles" is acceptable, all the letters were right just not in the proper order...

Im suprised nobody noticed my 2x2 pine steering rod I have on there so I can roll it around...

#9 ·
oh i noticed the steering, i was just denying reality hoping it wasnt what i thought it was :flipoff2:

and for the rear suspension, you will need an anti-wrap bar of some sort. ladder bar, traction bar, something.

as for the spelling, you'll learn to proof read here :D

#11 ·
Just some Jeep owners observations :) But you might want to spend some time looking at your front shackles. It is hard to see in the photo if there is a cross brace there or not but regardless...looking at the angle and the fact that they are currently at 90D perpendicular to the ground you might be in for some fun rides...

Lane to lane and Deathwobble....

You should try for shackle angles that are in the 30-45 degree range with the angles running out away from the driver. Which in your case would mean moving that front spring hanger in a couple of inches.

If you have 0 or negative caster and straight shackles...oh shit...hold on to your beer...

Other than that I like the stance and the color...keep it up :)

#18 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
:laughing: :laughing:

Is it the fact that some of us are not totally God Fearing people...
our latest discussion:
(13:16:16) joe: this is why I am getting disallusioned with the BB:
(13:16:33) joe: question: http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25172&highlight=fuel+tank
(13:16:52) joe: answer: http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15119&highlight=fuel+tank
(13:17:28) joe: now how hard would it have been for the guy to search first?
(13:18:24) Baradium: actually
(13:18:28) Baradium: he might have search
(13:18:35) Baradium: that "answer" doesn't answer his question
(13:18:42) Baradium: someone mentions wanting to put a scout II tank in an 800
(13:18:44) Baradium: but that's *it*
(13:18:49) Baradium: sorry, try again :p
(13:22:17) Baradium: hello?
(13:22:24) joe: looking
(13:22:38) Baradium: sorry, I couldn't help but cut off you rant in mid swing ;)
(13:23:27) joe: well, the point is 90% or better of hthe questions have been asked and answered many times
(13:24:21) joe: course I'm a geek and i learned STFW and RTFM long before the third word meant anything to we
(13:26:09) Baradium: it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be
(13:26:35) Baradium: some of the questions are new people, but the BB is a learning community, letting people ask stupid stuff lets them learn and welcomes them more than only letting them search
(13:26:49) Baradium: and making them paranoid that maybe they just missed something if they search and don't find anything
(13:29:46) joe: but, take for instance a linux board i,m on, Justlinux.com. when you post a message right at the top it says "check the help files, then ask!"
(13:30:52) joe: so?i've started threads along the line of I searched and found (url), but i still have this question...
(13:31:17) joe: maybe BB needs a newbies section?
(13:31:22) Baradium: no
(13:31:30) Baradium: then it might turn into pirate
(13:31:35) Baradium: and we don't want that
(13:31:41) joe: that I doubt
(13:31:42) Baradium: I won't even register on pirate
(13:31:46) Baradium: I refuse to
(13:31:53) Baradium: I've had a few times where I had something I could've added to a discussion
(13:31:56) Baradium: that no one seemed to know about
(13:32:02) Baradium: but I refuse to be a part of that board
(13:32:14) Baradium: I only look at it when someone points me there for something specific
(13:32:25) Baradium: sorry Joe, I know you like it, but I do not like the atmosphere
(13:32:39) Baradium: it's too hostile and even when it's not hostile it's much too vulgar
(13:34:47) joe: sorry, had a call.
(13:37:28) joe: I guess it's hard to understand, but T feel more welcome at pirate. sorta a blue coller (i know thats mispelled) vs a "change is bad" on the BB
(13:37:47) Baradium: blue collar?
(13:37:57) Baradium: ok, so now you're making it "Pirate is for the working man?"
(13:37:59) Baradium: come on
(13:38:07) Baradium: it's not so much that change is bad
(13:38:11) Baradium: as they don't want *your* change
(13:39:04) joe: I'm just saying on pirate the concept of change is accepted more
(13:39:53) joe: and everone wants my change. i've got $12 in rolled pennies here
(13:40:17) Baradium: lol
(13:42:33) joe: but like i said, i like the pirate attitude better. and not just the IH section. hell I have my own hate club in chit chat

#19 ·
NotQuiteSane said:
our latest discussion:

(13:18:24) Baradium: blah blah blah blah I am really gay...blah...

(13:42:33) joe: but like i said, i like the pirate attitude better. and not just the IH section. hell I have my own hate club in chit chat
That is the shit I am talking about right there....ROCK IT NQS...ROCK ITTTTTT....

Ohh I feel so vulgar now... :cool2:

#21 ·
my old 800 had 36" shocks f/r, soa w/44044's in fr, stock springs in rear... and no problem maxing out he shocks...

id buy the longest shock you can get, figure out where the mounts need to be at full stuff, then use a limiting strap to protect the shock from over extending..

kinda a simple concept if you think about it..... then again the speed bumps at the mall never even maxed out my stock shocks.. :flipoff2:

#23 ·
If you dont plan on twisting it up then getting shocks should be real easy, however I would recommend you at least put in all the running gear before you make a choice. Then all you need to do is take a measurement from mount to mount and you will be set. Unless of course you change your mind and decided to head out to the trails and find out you are maxing the shock out in one or both directions then you can start over again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.