Here's what I know.
1979 Scout II
345 CI
4 speed
2 speed transfercase

looks like they could be Dana 44"s front and rear

What to know info on T-case and tranny
I believe the t-case is a model 20
would like to know T-case and trans gears.

My plan is to put my 60's front and rear in

#5 ·
if it feels like a granny gear, then its probably a wide ratio.

One way to tell is to look at the speedo and get a tach. First gear is 6-ish:1, and second is 3-ish:1....

BEST way is to count revolutions. Put it in first and spin the input shaft one revolution and count the revolutions of the out put. This CAN be done in the truck. But you need to pull the plugs, put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley nut and rotate the engine.

The T-case *should* be a Dana 20. 2:1 low, 1:1 high.

#8 ·
Urban Wheeler said:
Why were they junk? You need one? I know a guy with a wide t-19, maybe two.
\Sar"casm\, n. [F. sarcasme, L. sarcasmus, Gr. sarkasmo`s, from sarka`zein to tear flesh like dogs, to bite the lips in rage, to speak bitterly, to sneer, fr. sa`rx, sa`rkos, flesh.] A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.

#9 ·
Mechanos said:
\Sar"casm\, n. [F. sarcasme, L. sarcasmus, Gr. sarkasmo`s, from sarka`zein to tear flesh like dogs, to bite the lips in rage, to speak bitterly, to sneer, fr. sa`rx, sa`rkos, flesh.] A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a cutting jest.
Thank gawd sombody still has a sense of humor. :)

#11 ·
binderbart said:
I've also heard with the wide ratios, you can get them into first gear while your rolling, has to be stopped,
I can get mine into 1st when I'm rolling..... I just can't be rolling very fast. With the wide's 1st gear and 4.88's in the axles, I can get about 10' out of 1st gear before the 345 is wound up tight.

#12 ·
You can double clutch them down easier. I havn't mastered it, and its hard to do on a steep uphill on the trail, but it can be done.

But like Mechanos said, with low gearing, you don't have very long in the gear, and I suspect with the 4:1's in the t-case I won't use first nearly as much as I do right now.

#14 ·
Harvester of Sorrow said:
Ohhhh...so they are in?

OR

Are you speaking in the future tense?

I can't speak for Rusty, but I was talking about high range. With 2.62:1 low range I can only expect to get about 4' out of first gear. My 4:1's are sitting quietly over in the corner waiting on me to install them. After that happens, I should only get about 2.5' out of 1st. :flipoff2:

Harvester of Sorrow said:
:flipoff2: pie fucker :flipoff2:
Actually, I prefer cake....

#15 ·
Thanks for all the info, The trade was very generous but I think I will have to pass. I think it will mate well with some t-case gears and my Dana 60's out of my Toyota. I have not yet had a chance to really inspect the axles under it now, are they 44's. I think that I will be putting them back in the yota and selling it.

#18 ·
Mechanos said:
I get it. Just about every time I see a new guy ask about a Scout, somebody posts "Oh, that 'X' is junk, send it to me" Almosy like you guys are trying to con people out of their good parts.

#19 ·
Urban Wheeler said:
I get it. Just about every time I see a new guy ask about a Scout, somebody posts "Oh, that 'X' is junk, send it to me" Almosy like you guys are trying to con people out of their good parts.
Well, appearently still don't quite get it. Nobody's tyring to con anybody out of anything. It's just humor.... simple as that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.