Pirate 4x4 banner

ShadowMan's Scout in Petersen's Feature!

2K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Binderman 
#1 ·
Just got my September 2004 issue of Petersen's 4-Wheel and Off-Road and to my surprise I see a SCOUT in the table of context. So eagerly I turn to page 106 to find Rick's SuperScout II blasting up a hill.

Specs: 1977 Super Scout II, Supercharged 427 BigBlock, Chevy trans, D60 w/ ram-assist front, D70 w/ rear steer, ARB's in both, turning 39.5x18 Boggers on beadlocks.

I know some would say this isn't a true Scout, but Rick has been driving this Scout since it was stock. And even with all the mods, it still looks like a Scout.

Its nice to see Scout's get some coverage. I would suggest that any who don't already have the issue, buy one ~ and more importantly, contact the editor and give some positive feedback.

Congrats Shadowman!

#4 ·
Rock Star said:
If more guys would "build their scouts" instead of doing booty fab on them we might see more of them in the mags.
Unfortunately scouts are the cheapest 4x4 out there next to XJs. This attracts the cheap bastards, and booty fab will fllow. The mindset on the BB doesn't help as well.

#5 · (Edited)
Old Scout- I agree with you that they are a cheap rig to buy($$). Thats what makes a scout so much fun. We are able to pick one up for hardly anything(sometimes free!)
and most of the time they run Ok but need some attention to the body or what ever.
I guess if you are just looking for a "driver" or work truck then fine leave it in the condition you got it. But if you want a reliable Hard core wheeler then it requires a lot of work and MONEY to build it for such. Every 4x4 reader will admit that they dont want to see a stocker on the front cover or in a feature,we can go outside and see that.
Most of the B.B. guys dont have a clue what it takes to build a Hard core rig for "todays" trails so instead of comming to grips that a stock scout will not run these trails they blame the Industry for not liking scouts. Its sad because most people would like to see a scout on the trails running with the rest of the group, I know I do.
The B.B. has its place for the Newbies and the restore crowd and thats great.
Its nice to have something for everyone and every application.
There maybe some built scouts running around(not telling who) but building a scout on big tires and building one to run Hard core trails is different. Old Scout you always have a good attitude on things so I know you will agree with this;
Lets not play the blame game,lets show the "other guys" that our scouts/IH's can wheel with the best of them.

#6 ·
Well rockstar I haven't been on the BB in over a year and went a did some reading earlyer this week. I was sadened to see that the idots are not controled better.

A particular thread about putting a mopar 360 in to a scout almost made me loose my lunch. It was over run by a 392 drum beating dumb ass. Nobody took the time to educate this guy and his tech was flawed to the point of being moronic. The purest thing over there will never die.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys!! :) What most people don't know is I had 2 Scouts. A all almost I-H built rig and the one in the rag. A mostly I-H Scout is VERY formidable. IMO the best rig there is. But it does have horse power shortcomings for what I like to do. I built my SSII to do EVERYTHING. Mud, sandracing, rocks, pulls, Mall cruizing and especially spanking the hell out of the Ricers! :D The looks on thier faces at the next light is funny as hell. :laughing:
The pic in the rag is in Moab over by Proving grounds. Alot of people couldn't even climb the big sand hill there. If they could, they barely made it to the top. I could clear it easily and get big air. :grinpimp: Thats why I love a Blown BBC and Boggers.
I don't know where Damian got the idea my name is "JIM", Its Rick and its in the article. :flipoff2: I actually purchased those Boggers new from him and they are still holding up fine.

#9 ·
WOW!! A hater on the BB? Who would of thought!! :flipoff2: And they BITCH about PIRATE?? :rolleyes: Yes there is way more "PRETTY" Scouts out there. MORE capable?? Havn't met that one yet. I'm Very effective towing the junk of the trails almost everytime I wheel. Ya know Jeeps. :D The Poor ignorant purist guy just doesn't know what the hell he is looking at. When the pics were shot, it was my 9th strait day of wheeling at Moab. In the many years also, I have NEVER been stranded on the trail in this truck. No matter how bad its hurt. So much for botched work. There is also a whole lot of other Homebrew things on the truck too that didn't make the mag. Wonder what HIS rig would look like after 9 days of Moab wheeling? As for PAYING Fred, I payed him $1,000,000 just to get it in the rag. :grinpimp:

#10 ·
I read the article and was hoping for more than 2 pages. It sounds like it's built well, and looks like it's been through a lot. The only thing I wasn't sure on is the "forced articulation." Maybe it's just too high-tech for me.

I read the thread on the BB and what can I say? There will be purists for every brand. Personally, I'm somewhere in between. I keep my Scouts as IH as possible, but I still build them. I know there comes a time for bigger axles and some kind of hydro steering. Some people just get there before others.

As for Scout coverage in mags,I can recall exactly five features, only one being a resto. It was a Midnite Star in a "Rare Rigs" column. Two were built, but restored body-wise, and two were straight-up wheelers. I suppose if the BB wants coverage, they should look to put their trucks in some other mags, since the wheeling ones don't feature resto-rides.

Matt

#12 ·
Congrats Rick. I like the BB, there are alot of good, knowledgable people over there, but sometimes the purist mindset can be a bit much. I recall a guy asking about putting a 460 in a scout so he could spin 40 something boggers in the mud pits. When I encouraged him to do it (for obvious reasons) some asshat jumps in and starts harping on the usual "392" bullshit :shaking: .
I like and own both stock and modified binders and if your rig does what you want it to then more power to ya. :D

#13 ·
Good for you Shadow, rig looks great though it begged for more than 2 pages. I hope you post here as you are working on the forced articulation :beer: :beer:

As for the BB, I visit much less often than I used to. AFAIK it is becoming much less technical and more of a forum for newbies who come and go quickly, and the purists who think innovation sucks, and automotive technology peaked in 1980.

#14 ·
Thanks guys, I havn't had much of a chance since the Moab Safari to get much done on it at home. I've actually been working 7 days a week since. :( I try to sneak some work in for it at the job. I did finally get the Hawse fairlead machine out and heatreated. The drum on my 8274 is actually wider than stock. Thats why the winch mount looks "Homebrew. :D I'm am working still on the forced suspension, its in the programming stage now in the computer system. It does have manual controls though. I also had to do some changes to the pnuematic controls such as add safety control valves so that it wouldn't unload the suspension in a extreme angle because of a possable momentary electrical power loss. That would be VERY bad.
The damn detail work takes awhile. If I can get the time to finally get this pig finished and wrapped up, it will be a candidate for next years TTC.
As for rigs in 4 wheel and offroad, I asked some tough questions of them and they were very interested in Homebuilt rigs that were built SAFELY. You know such as fab work that if someone copied from a pic in the mag it wouldn't get them killed. As for as shiny Bling Bling rigs and stuff, thats the eye candy that gets most people to pick up the mag and hopefully buy it. You know Scouts are not the prom queen, but its definately the girl you would marry cause she is alot of fun. :)

#15 ·
ChiScouter said:
...AFAIK it is becoming much less technical and more of a forum for newbies who come and go quickly, and the purists who think innovation sucks, and automotive technology peaked in 1980.
Amen, brother!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I still pop in there from time to time, but even after sifting through several days of unread posts, I seldom find anything even worth my time clicking on.

Good looking (and capable) rig, Rick... :beer:

#16 · (Edited)
As always Rick, great job on your rig, and glad to see you getting good press for you, and for our brand.. <chuckle>

On another note, not directed at you Rick, or any one person in particular, I thought we agreed to avoid the cross board comparison comments and links? Different strokes and all that. This board is for one type of builder/wheeler, that is for another. There are lots of good folks, and good builders on both boards. Comparisons and gross overgeneralizations on BOTH boards are best left out of the conversation...

#17 ·
Shadow man said:
I don't know where Damian got the idea my name is "JIM", Its Rick and its in the article.
Oops... Sorry Rick. I just know you as SuperScout.....ahem.....ShadowMan now. ;)

#21 · (Edited)
I have read everything on both of these boards about ricks rig and I am astonished!
I have known that the mind set on the B.B. is of the restore and keep it original but that was embarrasing. I guess that they think they could climb the same sand hills in a stocker.I have money says they cant! I have ben to the hills he is climbing. To say that ricks scout isnt a scout is wrong. Rick realized that it was going to take more than the IH engine and dana 44 axels could give to do the wheeling he wanted. Sounds smart to me! the funny thing is,is ricks scout has more body(better looking) than most of the driver scouts out east have!
We all wish every month the we open the new magazine(s) and there will be a scout in it. The yahoos need to realize that these are 4x4 magazines not Restore monthly.
I am a 4x4 mag hound and I dont want to see any stockers in the mags no matter what the brand. Change is happening everyday in our sport. Purist need to understand that not everyone that has a scout cares to take it to shows and talk about their paint jobs. There are scouts that are going to get BUILT for hardcore wheeling and thats that.
TONKA TOY, be pleased about ricks feature and congratulate him. Dont talk trash because you are jealous. Be happy that one of our fellow Scout guys got a chance to have a feature done on his SCOUT in Petersons 4x4 mag.

#24 ·
Rock Star said:
I have read everything on both of these boards about jims rig and I am astonished!
I have known that the mind set on he B.B. is of the restore and keep it original but that was embarrasing. I guess that they think they could climb the same sand hills in a stocker.I have money says they cant! I have ben to the hills he is climbing. To say that jims scout isnt a scout is wrong. Jim realized that it was going to take more than the IH engine and dana 44 axels could give to do the wheeling he wanted. Sounds smart to me! the funny thing is,is jims scout has more body(better looking) than most of the driver scouts out east have!
We all wish every month the we open the new magazine(s) and there will be a scout in it. The yahoos need to realize that these are 4x4 magazines not Restore monthly.
I am a 4x4 mag hound and I dont want to see any stockers in the mags no matter what the brand. Change is happening everyday in our sport. Purist need to understand that not everyone that has a scout cares to take it to shows and talk about their paint jobs. There are scouts that are going to get BUILT for hardcore wheeling and thats that.
TONKA TOY, be pleased about jims feature and congratulate him. Dont talk trash because you are jealous. Be happy that one of our fellow Scout guys got a chance to have a feature done on his SCOUT in Petersons 4x4 mag.
For Pete's sake!!! The owner's name is RICK! not Jim.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.