Pirate 4x4 banner

propane conversion pics

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  harkinoff 
#1 ·
gas prises sucked so I converted

you get the idea

See less See more
#2 ·
nice work, i've toyed around with the idea but don't know too much about propane fueling did you use a kit or just come up with all the parts yourself? if so what all is needed and if it was a kit who made it?

#4 ·
toocoolforschoolTJ said:
nice work, i've toyed around with the idea but don't know too much about propane fueling did you use a kit or just come up with all the parts yourself? if so what all is needed and if it was a kit who made it?

I just colected the shit from hear and there and put it all togeter when I was done

#6 ·
Rubicrawler said:
Soooo, how does it run?

like a switch watch! it runs smother then my dads TBI 350. A little less power in the uper RPMs but when I recurve my timing it should fix it.

I can start the truck after sitting a few days and once ther is oil preusure I can drive away like its been already been warmed up.

#11 ·
well tanks, find a size that fits it must have a stop fill valve (post 91), Now you need a fill (with or with out a 80% bleed valve depending on where you live) now you need hoses, 3 sizes #4 SAE bleeder hose (if you run one) #6 SAE servise hose and #8 SAE fill hose, now if you mount the tanks in the truck you will have to use a bulkhead for each hose for where it runs threw the floor, plus your tank presure relefe has to be plumbed to the outside. Now it gets easy. U need a fule lock-off I used an impco VF30 vacume lock-off. They are very comen and cheap (they are also a fule filter) after the lockoff is the vaporizer this turns the liquid LPG into a vapor. It uses heat from the engine coolant to do so, so you need to run your heater hoses to it. Then a 1" propane vapour hose. and last the mixer (there are meany models and makes) this just mixes the propane with the air to be burned, it mounts where your carb sits. Just conect the throttle linkage and vapour hose and your ready

and if you want your fule gadge to work you need a fule gadge sending unet (mounts on tank)

#13 ·
Looks great, and no more carb issues. I have been kicking the idea around for a while.

Biggest problem is exactly what you see there, it kills your bed space, completely... I use my rig for more than just rock crawling, so, I really want to hang onto my bed...

There is a lot about Propane I like, I just wish they could put it into smaller tanks...

#14 · (Edited)
I just used a forklift tank on mine, holds 8 gallons.. Got a spare, so when I head back to camp I'm good on fuel for another day...Also I run mine on propane when on steep stuff, otherwise I'm on gas still... Also I can still fit a 38" spare in the back...

Attachments

#15 ·
harkinoff said:
I just used a forklift tank on mine, holds 8 gallons.. Got a spare, so when I head back to camp I'm good on fuel for another day...Also I run mine on propane when on steep stuff, otherwise I'm on gas still... Also I can still fit a 38" spare in the back...

whats your milage on propane? I get 10 MPG :( but I havent done any major tuning. the rate mine drinks, a forklift bottle wont last very long but I was planing using one for a jery can thow

Hoop

yea the space thing suck with the top off but livable with it on, But I have seen some tanks like mine but more stubby and I'm sure they will fit between the frame rails where the stock tank was, I might install one of them with my floor mount tank for beter range

Christian B its a Impco 425 on a q-jet throttlebody
as for tips nothing really Scout specific other then use your comen sence and think safty, plus if you mount the tanks to the floor you have to use a 1/2 bol,t grade 5 is fine but you have to have a 4x4 plate on the bottem side of the floor where the bolt runs threw. so you sanwitch the floor between the pate and tank mount

#16 ·
Chief yelling alot said:
whats your milage on propane? I get 10 MPG :( but I havent done any major tuning. the rate mine drinks, a forklift bottle wont last very long but I was planing using one for a jery can thow

I can't give you a mileage average... I just go by how many days so far.. So far I can get 2 days out of one and still have fuel left over, bouncing back and fourth from gas to Pane, wheeling all day. Come Labor Day will be a great test, I'm wheeling for a week straight in Moab, I'll run it straight on Propane down there and get a better idea on how far and long it will go on one bottle..

The way gas prices are going I'm thinking of putting Propane on the motorhome as well.. I just picked up a 44 gallon tank for it.. I need to fine tune my setup on the Scout as well, It seems to run good, don't know if it could do any better? It runs smoother on Pane than it does on gas right now, so messing with it might be a bad idea?

#17 ·
harkinoff said:
It runs smoother on Pane than it does on gas right now, so messing with it might be a bad idea?
yah I know what you mean, I'm sure i can make improvments too but it just runs so good, why mess with it :confused:

so what mixer ya running? 300A?

#18 ·
Chief yelling alot said:
yah I know what you mean, I'm sure i can make improvments too but it just runs so good, why mess with it :confused:

so what mixer ya running? 300A?

ya it's a 300A on top of a Q-jet..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.