Pirate 4x4 banner

The weekend

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Binder 
#1 ·
I actually worked on the Scout..... seems like forever since I touched it. I could barely remember how to weld, but I got the three major sub-assemblies of the front bumper cut out, welded up and ground smooth. I just need to weld the pieces together and weld up the mounting brackets and reinforce the front cross-memeber so I can mount it up. Went with a stepped winch design out of 2x5x0.188 RT.

Also scored a 4.56 R&P and carrier for my 14-bolt and a set of these for the Scout:

They're quite firm but pretty comfy, good lumbar support and they wrap around and cradle you pretty good. I sat in that one on the floor and watched TV for about an hour to try it out.... :flipoff2:

See less See more
#7 ·
My band played a show @ a biker benefit to support the troops in iraq. got good and loaded, got to help out w. some burnouts and had a blast, all for a great cause. spent the rest of the weekend recovering :flipoff2:

#8 ·
got about 1/2 through my D300 upgrades.

Found out the Terra HD out-put shaft upgrade might not work worth the Scout D300 case :mad:. One of the mounting ears doesn't line up :mad::mad: Got to call Terra this morning.

Ran up to S&N fab Saturday AM and talked with Snortclown and he gave me some intresting ideas on how to make it all work, and be a couple hundred bucks ahead in th the end at that... stay tuned.

Put the stock output back in and got to putting the intermedeat gear cluster in and found ANOTHER spot in the case I had to grind, deep inside :mad:. Grabed a small file and stated working on it. Got feed up for the day and went inside. Filed a little here and there Sunday as I had time (busy weekend) and still need to do more. Light just tear the case back appart and go to town on it with some sort of power tool.

Bummer, and I was hopping to get it all together and in the truck on Friday (or maybe Saturday).

Hot as hell Friday and Saturday as well.... atleast for us Washintonians.

If everything goes well, 4:1's and HD output could be put into a D300 case in about 4 hours..... if everything wen't smoothly

#9 ·
That's some good info.... I think that when I put my 4:1 gear in, I will do the prescribed grinding to the case at the inspection cover and then test fit the intermediate gear in the case to see if I have to grind anywhere else before I reassemble the output shafts...

#10 ·
Ya, A test fit is a good idea.

I remember hearing that there was "other" grinding that need to be done. But a search revealed nothing, and the terra instructions suck, and don't mention it. But yes, the big gear on the intermediate shaft hits one of the bosses for the mounting bolts...

Just sucks to find when your at the last part of the assembly :(

And the HD output is not designed for the SII case, and they seemed to have no interest in making one (even though there is a market). And they guys said "ya, we should send a release to our suppliers informing them"

:rolleyes: O-well, the gears LOOK good :D, but the intermediate gear is still welded, need to check on the warrenty….

#11 · (Edited)
RustoleumWhite said:
...and the terra instructions suck...
That was the very first thing I noticed. I wasn't too concerned with that since I have rebuilt Scout 300's before. But upon reading them, I noticed that even though the kit is labeled as a Scout 4:1 kit, Tera just tossed the standard Jeep 300 instruction into the box. Oh well, I'm just planning on drawing on past experience as I disassemble/reassemble it, although I will be making modifications along the way. I'm going to weld up the slots in the shift rails and renotch them for a twin stick using custom rebent D18 sticks.

Haven't decided yet weather or not to pull the interlock pills out while I'm at it. Rusty, are you twin sticked and if so, did you pull the interlock pills?

#12 ·
Didn't touch a Scout all weekend. :(

Saturday I did something smart - borrowed a rig to run in the Mud Bog. :D

Got it stuck, too!

Got to see Bill's new trail rig on it's maiden run..

This is his new "Big" F250 trail rig.. not to be confused with his "Little" F250 trail rig (R60/70 and *only* 42s).

The new rig is just your average built 400M, Rockwell'd, tube-chassis, coil over'd F250 on 54s.. and it'll spin the 54s pretty hard..

Another buddy's Bronco got new shoes, too..

EB with ~6" of lift and 49/21-20s..

The poor old 302 spun 'em pretty well in the mud, but when he turned on the bottle and tried launching in 3rd, it just smoked the clutch. :D

I then spent Sunday doing more wiring and adding more shelves to the shop.. almost there.. (still)..

#13 ·
I pulled the pills (actually didn't re-install them), just because I didn't want to deal with the "perfect placement" of the shift rods to get them back in, expecialy after getting the detent ball back in (PITA if you have a stiff spring).

I figured if I pull the t-case apart again it would be to put the original stuff back in and I'd have to pull atleast one of the shafts anyway.. I could just put the pills back in at that time.

From what I gather though, you don't need to.

I also got the $80 twin stick kit off e-bay. Havn't instauled it yet, but no welding of the rods required.

#14 ·
I didn't like the way those e-bay sticks attached.... something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. I ended up buying a set of D18 sticks off of some guy out in Grant's Pass, OR. I am going to have to heat them up and rebend them to get them to pass through the original t-case lever hole in the tranny tunnel cover. I doesn't look like it will be too difficult. Seems like I read somewhere that it's not necessary to remove the interlocks, if you don't, you won't be able to use fwd-lo with the rear in neutral (or something like that). But all other combonation are available.

#15 ·
For once, I spent more time working on someone else truck rather than my own, but I did get my VDO electronic speedo and tach working, and replaced the melted oil pressure line to my mechanical gauge with copper line. What a mess that made when it blew.

Now i know how fast I am not going. Surprised how well the 4.56s worked out with the 37's. Good ratio considering the IH 304 is my rev limiter.

I did look at my front axle in contemplation of the coming cut and turn and I tripped over the boxes of tera low gears and Moser axles at least once, if that counts for something. :)

#16 ·
mtroy said:
Now i know how fast I am not going. Surprised how well the 4.56s worked out with the 37's. Good ratio considering the IH 304 is my rev limiter.
:)
Just how fast do you need to go?! I'm only turning 3500 at 75mph with 4.30s and 31s.

You should be doing about 95mph at redline in the 304 (3900).. unless it's just too tired to spin up.

#17 ·
Finally got my wide t-18 together. It took 3 trannys to do it. My donor was a Ford unit, so that mainshaft was out, and the mainshaft I had was galled on the bearing surfaces, so that was out. I bought a SII t-18 for $50 and got another d20 free. The t-18 is in pieces in my shed, with the mainshaft in the Scout 800 t-18. Now I have to clean the garage so I can get the tranny in. Otherwise I did nothing to the truck.

#18 ·
Mechanos said:
Haven't decided yet weather or not to pull the interlock pills out while I'm at it. Rusty, are you twin sticked and if so, did you pull the interlock pills?
I pulled them, but I don't think it is necessary. the only advantage is FWD low, which I never use. When I front dig I use FWD high to get some wheel speed.

I have accidently put it in H and L... :nuke: good thing I beefed it up :rolleyes:

#19 ·
tsm1mt said:
Just how fast do you need to go?! I'm only turning 3500 at 75mph with 4.30s and 31s.

You should be doing about 95mph at redline in the 304 (3900).. unless it's just too tired to spin up.
Just playin' about the rev limiter. Actually, the motor runs pretty strong. Good enough for now. I had it up to 65 and it ran pretty smooth, considering the tires and beadlocks, etc.

95mph in my truck!!! I think that would be pretty scary. :eek:

#20 ·
RustoleumWhite said:
Put the stock output back in and got to putting the intermedeat gear cluster in and found ANOTHER spot in the case I had to grind, deep inside :mad:. Grabed a small file and stated working on it. Got feed up for the day and went inside. Filed a little here and there Sunday as I had time (busy weekend) and still need to do more. Light just tear the case back appart and go to town on it with some sort of power tool.

If everything goes well, 4:1's and HD output could be put into a D300 case in about 4 hours..... if everything wen't smoothly
I think there must have been several different castings that IH used. When I installed mine I only had to grind in one place, but I ended up going all the way through the case to get the gear in. I knew I was going to have to grind a lot because the intermediate shaft was misaligned with the hole by about 5/16". A mini angle-die grinder works really well by the way.

About those twin sticks. I don't think a 4-1 D300 is strong enough to run in 2 low. The HD output will help it live for a while, but eventually it will kaboom. :nuke:

#21 ·
mtroy said:
Just playin' about the rev limiter. Actually, the motor runs pretty strong. Good enough for now. I had it up to 65 and it ran pretty smooth, considering the tires and beadlocks, etc.

95mph in my truck!!! I think that would be pretty scary. :eek:
I seem to have a hard time blinking fast enough at about 60-70mph in my race truck.. with 4.88s and 31s. It'll go faster if I ever feel man enough. :D

#22 ·
Hammerlock said:
I think there must have been several different castings that IH used. When I installed mine I only had to grind in one place, but I ended up going all the way through the case to get the gear in. I knew I was going to have to grind a lot because the intermediate shaft was misaligned with the hole by about 5/16". A mini angle-die grinder works really well by the way.

About those twin sticks. I don't think a 4-1 D300 is strong enough to run in 2 low. The HD output will help it live for a while, but eventually it will kaboom. :nuke:
Thats right were I need to grind. Only thing that I have (and I looked at EVERYTHING I had in the garage) that will work was a small file. MAJOR PITA. Tonight on the way home I'm buying a little air angle grinder..

Hmm, so you when't through the case?? Hmm, guess I'll plan on welding that hole up (figure'n I might) and maybe fab up an ear and weld it on as well to run the HD out-put.

Advice for anyone... Test fit, Test fit, Test Fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.