Pirate 4x4 banner

Rock Scout Shake Down

1K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Diesel Smoke 
#1 ·
Finally, we got the scout on the trail this saturday. The scout was performing flawlesly until my attempt to lengthen the front driveshaft failed. Oh well, Carl and I learned the finer points of winching.

To do... cut rear fenders more, fiddle with EFI, wheel, wheel, wheel.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
troutbum said:
Nice...glad to see more wheelin threads. :smokin:
looks like the front tire is hitting the leaves in front at full lock? I had to cut three time before I got the fenders right.
<chuckle> On left turns, chunks are coming out of the tire. I was looking at it at Roundup.

Your pics make me cringe. I was hoping to ramp it at roundup and see where I still needed to trim before this weekend, but, with no ramp, and no ramps close by, I am going to have to wheel it as is...

#10 ·
troutbum said:
Nice...glad to see more wheelin threads. :smokin:
looks like the front tire is hitting the leaves in front at full lock? I had to cut three time before I got the fenders right.
Thats an optical illusion, the drivers side tire actually clears everything, the passenger side tire hits the shock mount. We thought we had our fenders right, but then trimmed the U-Bolts and suddenly we are eating fender :eek:. Like Dan said it was a good run, but I really don't want to winch in 100 degree weather for 4 hours anytime soon. :D

#13 ·
Not to one up you, but it took 4 hrs to go about 200 feet. Its amaizing how much of a difference having all 4 tires turning instead of just 2. That Warn earned its keep that day.

Its funny and kinda makes me tingly, to think the truck I built from scratch actually works. Yeah, there are some bugs, but over all, it works well. Now the test is durability...will it survive the comps and time?

#17 ·
61scout80 said:
i love that scout.
That funny, so do we :flipoff2:

Progress continues, I dropped the front drive line out Sunday night and Dan dropped it off at the shop this morning. I finally picked up an okay trail spare for 20 bucks and a set of spare inners this morning. Can't wait for this weekend, expect more pics next week.

#18 ·
The Joker said:
Looks good you two. I need to get up there before you get all the bugs worked out so I am not holding you back when I start working all the bugs out of mine.
Geez!! Thats two offers from Toy guys to go wheeling?? Whats up with that :D :flipoff2:. Let us know when you want to go, hopefully we won't have it torn apart getting ready for Donner.

Carl

#19 ·
Shadow man said:
You know, thats my FAVORITE type of trails. :) I am coming up there to wheel when I get the chance. :cool2:
Well, dont get your hopes up. Most of the trails are snoozers and easy stuff. Until it rains. The crushers are really it for hard stuff in the dry. But man do they break stuff. Let us know when your coming. You can camp at my place. Maybe I'll organize a 'Pirate Campout' or something.

#22 ·
A few pics. When the scout was running it performed GREAT. Its just there were so many bugs giving us problems, that the truck was a bitch to drive sometimes. You take for granted a working shifter cable sometimes. I didnt drive it at all this weekend, Carl did. Ask him how it felt to drive.

Attachments

#24 ·
binderbound said:
I didnt drive it at all this weekend, Carl did. Ask him how it felt to drive.
Wheeling it felt great, very sure footed. I had it leaned over quite far and it still felt stable. It sucks up bumps and rocks and flexs like a dream, too good infact as we have ruined one set of springs already. Let me tell you, that having such low of gears makes all the difference. The truck crawls methodically along and just paws its way over anything I threw at it. Being as this is the first real crawler I have driven, heck real trail dedicated rig, it was so much fun not having to pick a line just flipping on the ARB and going at it.

Now if we could get all the bugs worked out it would be much nicer to drive. Having to shift it with a 1/2 drive rachet pivoted off your foot is no fun. Being stuck in second and trying to compression brake down STEEP stuff is no fun. The finky FI is no fun. Seeing Binderbound lose his engine and thus brakes and tranny and free wheeling into a tree, then me having to go down "the other line" first was no fun.

Needless to say, I can't wait to go again!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.