Pirate 4x4 banner

RPT Engine Mounts

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ihojeff 
#1 ·
I need new engine mounts and a tranny mount.

Any other good options besides RPT?

And who's got the best prices on RPT stuff? John Fleck has the engine mounts for $154, and the tranny mount for $42, are there sources out there that are cheaper?

#3 ·
Sully said:
I need new engine mounts and a tranny mount.

Any other good options besides RPT?

And who's got the best prices on RPT stuff? John Fleck has the engine mounts for $154, and the tranny mount for $42, are there sources out there that are cheaper?
I am pretty sure RPT is the only "new" option. As for price, I know Binder Books has one set for 146.00, Mr. Scout usually can get them, but I think he is 160 or so both of these are without tranny mounts. Good luck to ya and let me know who has teh best price, I need to change out the mounts in my diesel, thanks

#4 ·
Anything Scout also sells a different type of new mount.

I fabbed up a set of these almost identical to the pic out of some 1/4 plate, some rectangualr tube, some DOM tubing a poly suspension bushing. Total cost of my set was about $40 for the pair (that was before the steel price hikes, though) and some of my time. They have a 1/2" through bolt so even if for some reason you loose the bushing, the engine is still retained by the bolt.

#6 ·
I dont know about the motor mounts, but I tried a rpt tranny mount and it was so stiff it transfered way too much engine vibration into the cab. It shook so bad on a cold start up that all the needles in the guages flopped back and forth till they maxed out in both directions. Dont get me wrong, it was a well made quality piece but I had to ditch it.

#7 ·
BEN C. said:
I dont know about the motor mounts, but I tried a rpt tranny mount and it was so stiff it transfered way too much engine vibration into the cab. It shook so bad on a cold start up that all the needles in the guages flopped back and forth till they maxed out in both directions. Dont get me wrong, it was a well made quality piece but I had to ditch it.

Search D-311 here:
http://www.propoly.com/

#8 ·
I've had my RPT tranny mount for almost 4 years and it still functions and looks the same as when I put it in. I know the mounts might be a little expensive, but it's a quality product and they last much longer than the OEM mounts, not to mention they can be rebuilt fairly easily. I also have a set of dog bone RPT front motor mounts on my Travelall, again nothing but good things to say about the product. On the tranny mount I didn't notice the mount being any stiffer than the OEM mount. But that's just me.

Pay the price for the quality product, if the IH community doesn't support those who provide us with the parts to keep our rigs on the road, we all might be driving jeeps.

#9 ·
Scouty said:
Pay the price for the quality product, if the IH community doesn't support those who provide us with the parts to keep our rigs on the road, we all might be driving jeeps.

Now this place is starting to sound like the BB. :shaking:

#10 ·
I think Light Line has new stock-ish mounts available...

..but after I broke my 727 case :eek: because of sloppy mounts, I now run RPT engine and tranny mounts, purchased from Mike Ismail / IHOnly in my race truck.

Drop it from several feet in the air until it smashes the very solid bump stops, stop it "suddenly" and stand it on it's nose.. whatever.. the mounts are still holding the engine and 727 in just fine.

Dunno that it matters.. but they're one of the few things I haven't been able to break. :D :flipoff2:

#11 ·
BEN C. said:
hmm, me thinks you have/had other issues if you had that much vibration.

I didn't notice much added vib from my tranny mount, but I did from the motor mounts, basically cause your going from rubber (if your lucky) to poly, its going to be "stiffer". But its a truck not a caddy.

I think you can get stock mounts, as tom said, or the ones like Mechano's made. I got the RPT units, have had them for over 5 years and they are holding up just fine. As others have said, $$, but I don't have to worry about them.

#13 ·
BEN C. said:
I can't imagine that I would get that much more vibration than I am getting now since virtually all the rubber has disentigrated out of the existing mount anyway.

My engine mounts aren't quite as bad as the tranny mount, but I'm preparing to put a newer 345 in, and figure that it's one of those "Might as well do it while you are in there" type of things.

#14 ·
I'm using my homemade engine mounts and the Dyco 311 poly tranny mount. I fired the Scout up last night and backed it out of it's hole to clean up in garage a bit. I let it run until it was good and warm before shutting it down. Yes there is some vibration with the poly's, but nothing near the level of vibration Ben C. reported.

I've been listening to the sweet rattle and singing turbo of my CTD for so long now, that I'd completely forgotten what the burbling rumble of a gasser with duals sounds like.

#15 ·
Yes it is my brother Mike who makes/sells the RPT mounts. You won't get any better deal from him than any other vendor that sells RPT products as undercutting your own vendors usually doesn't go over very well. RPT mounts are definetely excellent mounts but can give the vehicle a bit of vibration initially until the mounts "break-in". Of course if you are experiencing tooth chattering vibration after installalition than either your motor is out of balance(more than likely) or the trans mount was installed wrong(seen it several times). Again, give them a few weeks after installation as things normally smooth out after some use. With over 4000 Scout/Scout II motor mounts haveing been produced/sold since Mike's first pair, I've only heard of a handful that have had any kind of problem. I wish I had my didgtal camera with me at RMIHR as a set of RPT mounts were dropped off to Mike after seeing some extremely hard use(racing vehicle landed hard upside down on its lid). The mounts main body was severely stretched but they did not come apart.

If RPT mounts are out of your budjet than definetely do some calling around as there are other mounts out there as previously mentioned. I think SSS is selling original mounts aside from RPT's that have had the rubber replaced with polyurethane but I'm not sure what the price is on those.

Jeff
________
RedMiledy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.