Pirate 4x4 banner

steering box questions (conversion)

861 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Binder 
#1 ·
we are building a 69' scout 800. going to run a mildly built 350, sm465/205, and tons. (dodge d60 frt, 14b rear) we plan to build a front crossmember and put tubes through frame for a shakle reversal and run 4" all-pro springs front and rear. the idea is to also strech the wheel base to 105". all that said i was just curious as to what power steering box would make a nice conversion box for the hy-steer? we also plan to use ram assist. i thought a jeep saginaw box would work well , but i would rather put the box on the out side of the frame rail. possibly 2wd chevy but they are so bulky. any ways i am open to all suggestions. thanks - justin

#2 ·
NCGamedog said:
we are building a 69' scout 800. going to run a mildly built 350, sm465/205, and tons. (dodge d60 frt, 14b rear) we plan to build a front crossmember and put tubes through frame for a shakle reversal and run 4" all-pro springs front and rear. the idea is to also strech the wheel base to 105". all that said i was just curious as to what power steering box would make a nice conversion box for the hy-steer? we also plan to use ram assist. i thought a jeep saginaw box would work well , but i would rather put the box on the out side of the frame rail. possibly 2wd chevy but they are so bulky. any ways i am open to all suggestions. thanks - justin

Im not exactly sure what hysteer is but I put a mid to late 80's jeep cherokee saginaw box in my 1968 800. Its the inside mount but seems to work good. 383 with 700r4. I could post a few pics if you wanna see them. I picked up the box with steering rod and a 4" drop pitman for 75 bucks on ebay. junkyard would be less but im lazy.

only thing though is you gotta put a new steering column in it because the stock ih steering column is roughly 47 feet long. Im using a nice tilt flaming river unit.

#5 ·
Most of the people I know who have converted to poewr steering on an 800 have used Ford F150 boxes.

Dunno how well it would work with the rest of your proposed setup. I'd say figure out approximately what you need, go to the wrecking yard, hunt till you find the closest unit, and then make it work.

#6 ·
cool. thanks for the info guys sounds like 70's ford is the way to go. what a bastard rig this will be with parts from nearly every make. hy-steer is simply the steering is placed HIGH ... i.e tie rod and drag link are both placed over the leaf springs. Binder do you mean this setup as in tons under an 800? - justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.