Pirate 4x4 banner

new member ques. np205/t19 in scoutII

907 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hammerlock 
#1 ·
hello. new to this board. fairly new to scouting. foreigner (from england) working in the us. been here 1.5 yrs. at least another 1.5 to go. had a landrover back home and bought a 79 sii over here a little over a year ago. good rebuilt 345 but body has rusted in ususal places etc etc. love the truck though because it's simple, functional and tough. was going to put new fenders, mounts rockers etc onto that one until i found a 72 with a great body. engine doesn't run; then found a 74 travelall in pretty good condition. couldn'y buy the whole truck (salvage yard) so had to pull the meat. got the engine, transmission and transfer case. so, hoping to put this lot in the 72. my ques to you guys is whether the t19 / divorced np205 combo can/has/will work in this application. it looks bullet proof and if weight is anything to go by, it's got to be twice as tough as the d20. to break it down:-

how long do the fr and rr drive shafts have to be in this combo? are there any driveshafts off other cars/trucks that will work.

i assume that the existing transmission bracket in the sii will have to come out. will the brace used in the t'all which holds the tranny at the bellhouse at its largest diameter work instead.

the np205 has it's own frame mount. will this work in the scoutii with a little fab?

is it going to be worth the trouble? anyone done this / thinking about it?

appreciate any ideas. have searched the board but not really found anything.
thanks, nick

See less See more
#2 ·
This has been done and will work. If it's a wide box T19 it would be a good setup - very strong. A narrow T19 won't be low enough for rock crawling with a 205. You'll have short driveshafts obviously. Some Jeep guys run 15" driveshafts so no reason you can't either.

If you get crazy with the lift the driveshaft angles will be severe, but that just means swapping u-joints more often. As far as the crossmembers it's going to take some fab work - just get in there and do it.

Make the T19 to 205 shaft as short as possible. I've seen some people connect them with a u-joint only. That will work but it makes alignment critical and will probably reduce bearing life a little.

Now another option is to just sell the t19/205 and buy a D300. It would save you some work and you wouldn't have to buy new driveshafts. Unless you're going to run 40's the D300 should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.