Pirate 4x4 banner

large IH 4x4 comes home, pics, ID help

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Oil burnin' 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I have v-8 perkins I'd like to put in it, have to determine whether it's got the governed injector pump which would be no good for truck use. Perkins motors are fairly miserly about fuel use. http://www.pbase.com/image/29163780 Bought this 1600 4x4 awhile back, but it's got a puny ass dana 70 front and ar15 rear, can't have that, thinking about useing the cab. Only paid 500 for the big frame, price of scrap is going back up, worth more than that for junk, not that I want to do that, I think I got the detroit sold.

#13 ·
drydocker said:
It is a 6V53. ...
Looking at the pics, it is a 6v53, so a good call on that one. I just read 318 detroit and automatically assumed 8v71. The 6v53 displaces 318 cu.in. but is not the "Detroit 318". "Detroit 318" commonly refers to the 8v71 that is rated 318 HP.

6v53 are commonly rated 210 HP NA, and are the noisiest of the sixes. The 53 series blower uses two lobe straight rotors that are particularly noisy. The three lobe helical rotor blowers are not as loud.

I'd still keep the 6v53 but then I'm a DD enthusiast. While an 8v71 would've been an easy decision to keep, the 6v53 is a little underpowered for such a large vehicle, especially by today's standards. If you're willing to putt along(as I am) then no big deal, and you get to make LOTS of noise with you're foot far into the throttle(which is what 2 stroke DDs like).

That chassis makes the 1500 lb 6v53 look small.

Ken

#15 ·
What I really want is a 270 or 290 cummins, already got the 10 speed for it. Does anyone know what the big cummins weighs? Now I heard of something called a 12v92, I'm guessing thats a hoss.

#19 ·
I just bought a 6V53 take out engine from a cab over IH. I got it running im my driveway.

I almost had a disaster. I hooked up everything to the engine. I had a freind who I told to flip the air shut off flapper if the engine ran away for any reason. I did not remove the fan belts first like I should have. Anyway when the engine started it began to run away immediatley. My freind saw the fan spinning and chickend out and didn't shut the air shut off valve :rolleyes: So I jumped over and shut the air valve. That slowed it down but it was still running slowly and black smoke was everywhere. I pulled the fuel hoses out of the can but the engine kept running and I thought it might be running on oil from the blower seals. It wasn't going to quit so I got the big Co2 extinguisher and fogged both sides of the air cleaner and that finally made it shut off.

Here is what I learned about Detroits: when they sit the injectors can stick and they will lock the rack to full fuel so if it starts it is going to run away. Always pull the valve cover and make sure the rack is free before starting a Detroit that has been sitting. If you have stuck injectors don't pry on the rack or arms etc. Pull directly up on the injector plunger. I took the rockers off and gently put a vice grip on the disk at the top of the injector and used the hook on the slide hammer to gently pull the injector up. With penatrating oil and tapping up and down every thing freed up nicely.

If you don't have an air shut off flapper get a basket ball or some thing and have it ready to seal the intake off. Any air will keep it running. The air shut off in mine didn't shut all the way because the gasket wasn't flat anymore.

My engine runs well now and no damage was done but I wish I had known this stuff before I tryed to start it.

You might well know all this already but I'm just telling my expirence just in case you didn't.

6V53's are a hell of an engine and make one hell of a lot of noise!

Have fun.
Treven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.