Pirate 4x4 banner

Front bumper almost done

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Snoopy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, like the title says......

I need to mount up SX's and get an idea of just what the approach angle is. Also, I didn't like how wide it turned out.... looks like it has wings. I'm most likely going to clip the ends of the bumper off and cap the ends where the white line is or maybe just a little more outboard from that line.

After burning the holy hell out of my knee (welding in shorts.... leaned up against the clevis mount after welding it on) and then dropping the damn rachet on my forehead, I decided to call it a night. I'll clip it's wings another day.... :shaking:

Oh yeah, it's an obvious cheap knock off of one of Damian's winch bumpers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mechanos said:
Well, like the title says......

I need to mount up SX's and get an idea of just what the approach angle is. Also, I didn't like how wide it turned out.... looks like it has wings. I'm most likely going to clip the ends of the bumper off and cap the ends where the white line is or maybe just a little more outboard from that line.

After burning the holy hell out of my knee (welding in shorts.... leaned up against the clevis mount after welding it on) and then dropping the damn rachet on my forehead, I decided to call it a night. I'll clip it's wings another day.... :shaking:

Oh yeah, it's an obvious cheap knock off of one of Damian's winch bumpers.
Sounds kinda like the day I ran the hacksaw down the side of my thumb. Shitty ain't it :mad3:

#3 · (Edited)
Holy approach angle batman!?! Get used to ramming that into everything. Clip the wings a little farther in than that. you'll like the improved tire contact area.

*edit* are all you using to hold it on is those 2 bolts? if so you'll notice, over time, the bumper will start to move up and down as it wears the holes in an egg shape. It looks heavy. Good, but heavy.

#4 ·
binderbound said:
Holy approach angle batman!?! Get used to ramming that into everything. Clip the wings a little farther in than that. you'll like the improved tire contact area.

*edit* are all you using to hold it on is those 2 bolts? if so you'll notice, over time, the bumper will start to move up and down as it wears the holes in an egg shape. It looks heavy. Good, but heavy.
Keep in mind that those pics are a funny angle (garage is trashed) and those are super weenie little rollers to get the Scout through the garage door. With the front axle moved 3" forward of stock and the 36's mounted up, I don't think the approach is going to be that bad. Here's a pic with the 36's... now imagine the bumper on the front.... it sticks out 5" from the crossmember.

...and no, it's not just held on with those two bolts. There are two 1/2" bolts in double shear (the ones you can see) and there are two more 1/2" bolts in tension directly behind the pull points. The front cross member was completely wrapped with 3/16" plate and then sleeved with 7/8" x .120 DOM tubing. You can see the bolt through the cutout in this pic. I welded the nut to the inside of the tubing to make it a blind nut.

#12 ·
Raise That Puppy Up!

I like how you used that forward bolt hole ~ but I would have raised the top of the base (where a winch would sit) to the top of your frame. Then bolted the hole under it.

Either way, looks pretty rockin'

#13 ·
Snoopy said:
Raise That Puppy Up!

I like how you used that forward bolt hole ~ but I would have raised the top of the base (where a winch would sit) to the top of your frame. Then bolted the hole under it.

Either way, looks pretty rockin'
Too late now..... with a couple pounds of welding wire in it, it is what it is. Yes, raising like you mentioned would have gained me 2" more inches, but then it would have been a bit more difficult to use the two "tension" bolts since the the top half of the back side of the front cross-memeber is angled. I really didn't want to drain the coolant and yank the radiator either.

When I do get around to adding the winch, I want to go with an 8274 which mounts through holes in the vertical plane instead of through the horizontal plane like most others do. An additional bracket will have to be added for that when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.