Pirate 4x4 banner

Turbo for international scout

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Diesel Smoke 
#1 ·
So I was flipping though the pages of an old 1979 december issue of truck van and suv 4x4 (out of publication a long time ago I think) and found an add from a company that made turbo chargers for all kinds of 4x4 includeing the scouts, now of course the company has been long out of business but thought it was intresting none the less....imagine a stock 304 with a turbo charger on it....ill try and find the name and address when I go over there again tonight :p

#2 ·
SnowScoutII said:
So I was flipping though the pages of an old 1979 december issue of truck van and suv 4x4 (out of publication a long time ago I think) and found an add from a company that made turbo chargers for all kinds of 4x4 includeing the scouts, now of course the company has been long out of business but thought it was intresting none the less....imagine a stock 304 with a turbo charger on it....ill try and find the name and address when I go over there again tonight :p
It would not do much good, IH heads dont flow worth a shit.

#5 · (Edited)
BEN C. said:
It would not do much good, IH heads dont flow worth a shit.
If you did turbo you would want to rebuild your heads. Definitly hog out the exhaust side, so all the heat you build up would not flow out with the exhuast side with how chocked off it is. Also to do it right, you should probably build a set of headers that flow far better and meet at the turbo. You would want a turbo that spools fairly quickly and could probably run about 8-10#'s on it. You would probably want to refine the intake side a bit as well, just clean up and open up the heads a bit. I am still considering it on a certain 196.....when we get it running right :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.