Pirate 4x4 banner

Chev Knuckle with IH Axle and Guts?

913 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Snoopy 
#1 ·
After searching and reading till my eyes bleed, I'm not quite clear on something when trying to sort out a flat top knuckle...

If I get Chev flat tops

and

I re-drill for 8 bolt spindle

can I re-use ALL of my old IH stuff like brakes, shafts, etc?

I've got a small fortune in new/reman'ed IH stuff but would like to go flat top cheaply if it is possible.

r@m

#3 ·
Root Moose said:
After searching and reading till my eyes bleed, I'm not quite clear on something when trying to sort out a flat top knuckle...

If I get Chev flat tops

and

I re-drill for 8 bolt spindle

can I re-use ALL of my old IH stuff like brakes, shafts, etc?

I've got a small fortune in new/reman'ed IH stuff but would like to go flat top cheaply if it is possible.

r@m
Yes, like Ben said. But keep in mind, by doing that you are retaining the weaker SII outer shafts and the weaker SII external lock outs.

#7 ·
For arms and links call parts mike 530 885 0673. I used his with the inverted t draglink/tie rod. It is a great set-up plus mike knows tons about all sorts of rigs and will always take the time to make sure you know what will work for you. You will have to grind a little bit on the back of the arms to clear the scout calipers, but it is no big deal. BTW any one who wants the exact set-up you are talking about for a scout d44, i am selling one.

#9 ·
Root Moose said:
I'd go with Parts Mike but his gear isn't exactly cheap. $400USD for a pair of knuckles.

I'm not saying it isn't worth it - just more than I want to pay to do this.

r@m
yes, but keep in mind, that price is for NEW custom-cast knuckles with a beafed up (and raised) flat-top and no stock steering arm location...

all other "flat tops" would be used stuff that has been milled and drilled.

However his arms and such are very well know to be good stuff and fairly priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.