Build this Old Scout. *** Project Review*** - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Build this Old Scout. *** Project Review***

I have started this thread because I need some motivation to finish my rig. Working outside in the dirt during winter sucks and I do not want to miss yet another wheeling season. Having to post progress to you guys should make me keep working thru the winter.

I started with a well running $700.00 79 Scout.
Smiling and sitting on a 5 gallon bucket:

I wasn't planing to build a crawler at this point and made a stupid noob move and bought 33"s, Centerlines and a 4" skyjacker spring lift. I got to this point and realized that this body was going to be trouble. It has it's share of rot and I didn't want to deal with having smog on my rig.

A buddy found me this 2wd 258 72 half cab. I paid 300.00 for it and now had a rot free body and a smog free title.

I have now moved my project across town to a yard were I have access to big equiptment and tons of room.

Took off the 79 tub and made another mistake. Gray POR 15 makes lousy frame paint if your chit is outside. Paint failed in less than two months.

I flipped the 72 tub on to it's firewall and sand blasted off the surface rust. I then sprayed on a gallon of hurcliner

The right tools make the job easy. The 72 and 79 becoming one!

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Scout; 07-04-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Scored another parts Scout . A 78 travler for 100.00! It had a small electrical melt down. It took my buddy Steve and I about an hour to make it run. It didn't come with a title so It became parts dept #2.

Working across town was beginning to suck. I needed to install my 18 circuit Painless harness and wanted to bring her home.
Last day at the yard. Sitting on 35"s now. I had found Pirate4x4.com at this stage of the build and was beginning to realize that the tech on the Binder Bulletin was years behind other makes. No IH forum on pirate yet.

The Pirate influence has started to show. My custom built rear D60 ARB, 35spline cr-mo axles and 11" disc brakes.

Things are now ugly. I have left my employer of 10 years and they are suing me for 500k. My income is 30% of what it was a year a go. The scout sees no work and I have no mad $ for any parts.

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-11-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
After 8 months of being Po, things are looking up. My sister and brother and I bought a cabin in Tahoe. It's was a huge money and time pit , but is a ton of fun.

I started back on the scout after a 10 month break. The electrical part was fun. My VDO dash;

Everything was going on relays. I think this was do to my working on Porsches in college. Ever seen what lies below the passenger foot well in a 928? Clic here to find out

I found these cool little water tight relay boxes in Saab turbos'. Pic N Pull only asks 8.00 for them. I added the circuit breakers. Current relay count on my rig is 14.

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-13-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
I was going to make a smart ass comment about having it for 4 years and not wheeling it, until I realized that I bought mine in 99 and just last Halloween went on my first run with it. It's hard to build when you're poor, I know.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Disaster strikes again. My DD Explorer has a major tranny problem. The adapter between the trans and T-case broke in half. Scout on hold while I look for a new DD. Having a bitch getting financed being new to my job and just buying the Tahoe place. I get the GTO and drive it for 3 months. It cost me $$ in gas, but I had a blast. Also got a GF that was 16 years younger than me out of the deal.

I replaced my explorer with a Disco.

I quickly put on a 3.5" lift and 32"s

Ok back to the scout!
I realized that I needed a welder in a bad way, so it was move back to the yard or buy my own. I saved my mad money for a few months and picked up a MM210 and spool gun.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 12-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1684
How long have you been working on this project?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
This smells similar to my project

Half-cabbies ROCK, you gonna keep it that way?

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32053
don't feel bad, i've owned 3 scouts, the latest for 3 years, which didn't have a drivetrain when i bought it. the other two i only drove around the yard a little. to date, the only scout i've actually ridden in on the road was back in about 84 when i first rode in one. one day i gotta get my stuff all in one to use. maybe this spring. just a little at a time. only way to get it done.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Cool thread OS.

You've stuffed so many different cool, or just plain very well done tidbits into your build that I always like seeing posts about your rig. It's very cool to have a full thread dedicated to it!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18671
OS, Most of us Binder heads feel your pain. I was "done" with mine, and something else came along, so now it is on jackstands again awaiting new parts. Threads like this are encouraging and motivational for everyone that reads them. Thanks and keep us updated on the progress.
Gen. Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
Cool thread OS.
He's gotta be still going. I know he's further along than buying a welder.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Thats going to look great with that 1/2 cab. Are you going to run a cage in the cab or go thru it and run to the back? If I could find a TD 1/2 cab Scout in the shape of that one you found, I would be thrilled.

Last edited by Shadow man; 12-11-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC

I would hope! It's got a much better looking paint job these days too!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Web Wheeler For Hire

Member # 26999
Keep the faith and don't let life get in the way to much!

Quote:
Took off the 79 tub and made another mistake. Gray POR 15 makes lousy frame paint if your chit is outside. Paint failed in less than two months.
Never used POR. Is it supposed to have a top coat? Or did it just fail do to to much CA sun?

Eagle-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
How long have you been working on this project?
I used a woolly mammoth to bring the 79 home.

Quote:
Half-cabbies ROCK, you gonna keep it that way?
Ohh yea.

Quote:
Much more to come.

Quote:
Never used POR. Is it supposed to have a top coat? Or did it just fail do to to much CA sun?
I thought it would of stood up to two months of winter weather. I had planed to put the the tub on quickly but had to deal with rain storm after rain storm.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
I started to look ahead and thought it would be a good time to get some engine mods out of the way, since I had no body on the front half.

I removed the heads and had them milled and I did a little porting to the exhaust ports. I also installed Chrysler valve springs, umbrella valve seals and a Comp Cams 260H cam.

Stock port/ ported port

The fuel system was next. I installed the VDO sender and a high flow 3/8" pick up into the tank. Hooked up a Holley red pump, baja fuel filter and Holley pressure reg. The pressure reg and MSD are mounted on rubber shock mounts. The carb is a 72 Q-jet.

I bought a new set of tires and wheels out of the P4x4 classifieds. TR beadlocks with 37x12.5x17 BFG muds at 98%.

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-12-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
I took my sawsall and made a few mods on the rear wheel wells. I then made some new wheel wells to cover the larger hole.

I was given a brand new Prestolite semi truck 180A alternator. It's huge and puts out a ton of juice at low RPMs and has A/C out as well.

Still doing wiring and started on my console

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-12-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Still going! ~ lets see more!
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2004, 06:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6690
Nowm your making me feel bad cause my shiat is just sitting. You have done a bunch of cool stuff - like every tells me - get it done.

Ritch
Old 12-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Love it...

I remember when I was lurking...before ever registering...your build up was shizzy.

Keep it coming Bob...

Ohhh and if your ever coming up to the PNW for your business...Micro's are on me

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow
Ohhh and if your ever coming up to the PNW for your business...Micro's are on me
You never offered me a micro
So do I have to get my shiat running before you offer me a cold one?

Oh yea - almost forgot - i don't drink beer.

OS - your rig is looking sweeeeeeeeeet - wished mine looked closer to that.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
I give up!

Finding a cheap D60 front! The market seemed to be at the $1200-1400 range at this time. So I Said fawk it and bought this Chebby D44 for $125.00

I went with a reverse shackle on 44044s. I needed to make some short frame extensions.

This moved my axle forward 4.5" It should help the drag link oil pan clearance.

I did the common Ford 5x5.5 small spindle outer swap. I went with Parts Mike Super arms and Warn Premium hubs. I'm in shock on how cheap chebby and Ford brake parts are!

Approach angle is looking very nice. Definite saws all use needed.

BUY MY BOAT

Old 12-13-2004, 10:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
The electrical system seems to have taken a life of it's own.

I made a junction box for the pass side rear, next to the tail gate. I terminated the harness here and made a separate harness to go to the tail lights, blinkers, 55w back ups, rear rock lights. There is an 8G feed to the post in the lower right. Back up and rock lights will be on relays and get there power from the high amp feed.

I cut out the upper inner fenders and mounted two batts in the pass side. I used a Blue Sea cut off switch and a Painless solenoid to control the voltage flow.

The console is starting to look complete:

Stock IH drag link next to a 1.25" Dom drag link

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-13-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Disaster strikes again!!! I was up at the cabin and a ground squirrel made a nest in one of the walls. It used the insulation off of the wires for it's nest. Major house fire. I spent two hours on oxygen from smoke inhalation. Everything is soaking wet and black!

Cabin is a huge mess. To make a long story short, we get fawked by State Farm Insurance and have to do 60% of the repairs ourselves. I spend every weekend for next six months rebuilding. It was like camping out with my father and brother.
No:
kitchen
bathroom
shower
heat
beds

Back to scout building.
I found this little gem one day at Pic and pull. It's a Subaru electric power steering pump. I thought it would be cool to have assisted steering with the engine not running.

I started working on my oil system upgrades. Since it's a known weak link, I built a few strange things.
I need to add a oil cooler and thought a remote filter would be nice. I put the filter were the old P/S pump was:

I used Sertab oil coolers out of a Turbo Volvo. there only 12.00 from pick and pull. I mounted two of them in the drivers side inner fender. One for engine oil and the other for the P/S fluid. I made a supply manifold for cool air for them. It has a 1000CFM electric blower that pulls cool air from behind the headlamp.

Here is an early mock up. . It's much more compact now. I suck and aluminum welding!

BUY MY BOAT

Last edited by Old Scout; 12-13-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Built a new rear bumper. I used a spring hanger off of a Frieghtliner for my tire carrier and made bumperetts that attach to the floor of the bed that help protect the quarters

I needed a spare and 37" MTRs were 50.00 less than BFGs. So I bought an MTR and 17" US Wheel and a DIY MRW 40 bolt beadlock kit. The thing tips the scale at 132lbs!

The carrier I built.

The hinge. Hinge pin is a grade 8 1.25" bolt. The spring hanger in forged aluminum with a hard bronze liner.

With my large wheel wells I could run the rear shocks vertical for maxium roll control.

BUY MY BOAT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.