Scout 80 build up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 33269
Scout 80 build up

In order to avoid being flamed I have been searching for the past 3 days for a write up on putting a small block ford into a scout 80. Can any one link me to a write up on this.
zapzuki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22997

Damn another okie whats up?
harleykeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 33269
Well to tell you the truth I have always been a Samurai guy (back before they were cool) been building them for 15 years. Anyway, one thing that I have always envied was my wheelin buddys early bronco with a 302. I could always go anywhere he could go in my Suzuki but he always did it with finesse and sounded better doing it. I love the sound of a small block Ford but dont have the deep pockets to buy an early bronco. So I scored the next best thing IMO a 63 Scout 80. It has no running gear just a body and frame. So its a clean slate my goal is small and light like a samurai, but part musclecar like the early bronco. Advice anyone?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Im sure Brandon will chirp in when he visits, but in the meantime do a search under his name here, and..........well I see you posted on the BB also. Do a search there also.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 33269
I have been searching and searching for info but to no avail. I searched under brandons name still cant find any good tech or pics as to whats involved in puting a sbc in a scout
Old 01-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
The Scout 80 was not available with a v-8 so in order to do that it will take some work. Here is an article cut and paste from the BB. Searched, huh?

Quote:
This is NOT an easy undertaking. It requires extensive fabrication -- which means either a LOT of skill, or a LOT of $$$. That there is a FAQ on this subject does not NOT contitute a recommendation of this procedure, or an endorsement that you should try it. It is more of a warning about what obstacles you will face. It is often less complicated and less expensive to simply acquire a Scout 800 that was factory-equipped with a V-8.

Here are some of the obstacles if you're starting with a 4-cylinder Scout 80 or 800:

1) The engine is mounted into the chassis with an approximately 10-15 degree "tilt" toward the driver's side. The transmission bellhousing has its bolt-holes aligned to accomodate this tilt, and will be incorrect for a vertically mounted V-8.

2) Even if you magically corrected the "tilt" problem, the driver-side cylinder head would interfere with the firewall. Scout 800's that were V-8 equipped at the factory used a deeper bellhousing (and a longer transmission input shaft) to move the engine further FORWARD in the engine compartment, so as to eliminate this interference.

3) So now you've swapped engines AND transmissions, in order to cure the "tilt" proiblem and the "firewall" problem. Your engine now sits too far forward for the radiator to fit in the stock location. The cross-member that supports the radiator needs to be moved forward, and the fender-wells/radiator supports need some serious carving & re-shaping.

4) But you can't move the cross-member where it needs to go, because the steering gear (inside the frame rail) is in the way. This too needs to be changed to the "outside-the-frame" V-8 style of steering gear, in order to allow the cross member to be moved, in order to push the radiator forward . . .

Are you getting the picture?

John Comer at Gryphin Automotive in Aurora, Colorado (303/366-4425), has performed several of these conversions. Including the price of a V-8 IHC motor, such a conversion *starts* at about $3500. Unless there is some intense sentimental value to a particular 4-cylinder Scout 80/800, you might be considerably further ahead to simply shop for an 800 that had a V-8 from the outset. Swapping a DIFFERENT IH V-8 into such an 800 is a far simpler undertaking.

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40410
do lots of research first. I have a 64 scout 80 and wanted to do the same thing but with a 392. I think a big block IHC in a small scout, with a rock solid drive train would be the shit. The scout 80s are a bitch becouse the engine compartment was built for a 4banger not a v8. now if you had a scout 800 you would be better off, they were designed for a v8. Lots more room! with the same body. I know it can de done, I have seen it. I just dont think "I" have the skill to pull it off right.
77scouttwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 31658
I'd start looking for a V-6.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Wheeler
The Scout 80 was not available with a v-8 so in order to do that it will take some work. Here is an article cut and paste from the BB. Searched, huh?
The size of a ford small block and an IH mill are a little different. I've seen a few 302's in 80's before. It goes a little smoother than the IH swap.

Personally, I think the 4.3 litre swap would be the best bet. cheap, easy to fit, tons of options transmission wise.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith
I'd start looking for a V-6.
Huh? not a Scout.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 33269
So is it cost effective to build a free scout or should I save my money for an early bronco? I kinda like the looks of the scout better anyway. I know the 302 will go in there. I have the oppurtunity to buy one right now with the swap already done for $2000 but thats just the swap the rest of the truck is as rought as the freebie I got. Should I jump on the $2000 already swapped scout. I just hate buying something like a early bronco,or a heep for big $$$$ and then turn around and drop big $$$$ building it like I want it. My little cousin asked me what the best 4X4 for him to build was. I told him that it didnt matter just pick the size frame and body he wants chances are everything else will be replaced anyway.Just like my Suzuki which I have pretty well gone swapped as much as I want to on that little chassis. This is my theory I want something big enought to fit a small block ford(Samurai is out) and small enough to perform like a light weight samurai(No full size) That pretty well leaves me with a Early Bronco, Heep, or a Scout. I have found a free Scout. Get my drift? By the way I still havent found a write up on the swap
Old 01-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Bottom line the way I see is it is how willing and able you are to cut and weld sheetmetal, motor, trans mounts etc. I don't know shit about 80's or 800's but if it was me I would be prepared to re engineer the steering system also. If you don't mind the idea of that much work then you would be way money ahead and time behind compared to starting with a EB
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
building.. isn't cost effective period. If you are trying to be cost affective buy one built...

IF you are going to build it then it doesn't matter what you start with since not much will be left anyway. Depends on your definition of buildling I guess - but if your not going to that extent then it comes down to "what do you like best" not cost effectiveness.

As for the 302 swap, gimmie a month

It won't take long, just got lots going on now

I will have it full documented so if your not in a rush hang tight. What I can say is there is MILES (well not really but..) more room in that scout than the vehicle that currently has the 5.0 in it (my toyota) so if I can showhorn it in a toy the scout is going to be easy..
Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 33269
So ahead money wise and behind time wise. I like that idea. I am not afraid of custom everything I have custom everything in the suzuki. My fear is wrong parts combos. This is why I want to research what has worked for other people. I have trialed and errored suzuki stuff for many years I would rather research this project and get it at least close to right the first time. For example can Scout II axles seem to be popular but if I am running all ford drivetrain will the pumpkins line up. I dont know which side they are on. I have a 73 jeep wagoneer will those axles work? They are 6 lug. I know those spring swaps are popular should I use them. My Grandfather owns a large wrecking yard so parts are limitless for the most part. No I do not have access anything rare like MOG axles or anything like that. But Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota whatever. So what should I do?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 6
I'm using those springs..

Once again, not done yet..
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 33269
Yeah one interesting thing about this scout I have aquired is that it has already had a SBC swapped in it. When the guys who performed the swap found another project they pulled the drivetrain and dumped the scout in the pasture. My friend is the guys brother who said I could have it if I wanted it. This may make the swap easier already having had a V8 in it or harder if it was a hack job. But considering the truck has been sitting about 10 years It doesnt look like a hack job. I know what everyone is thinking and I really want a small block ford not a chevy. As far as drivetrain goes what types of donor vehicles should I look for. Big Broncos I have plenty of but thier axles are too wide and mostly TTB But what about motor Tranny and transfer case? . The wagoneer is definately out there.I have a set of heavily built Toyota axles under my sami some say they are tougher than 44's could they hold up to a V8 and 35"tires?
Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
A GUY

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
I have a buddy that has been runnin 8in axles behind a TBI 350 and 38's for years... However my other buddy has 8in 350 and 35's and has had to pull them in favor of 60/14bolt....I guess it depends on how many times you drop the clutch on the pavement also a crawl ratio of 250+ helps.. I think a well set up SII 44 (CTM..WARN shafts..) will go a long way with 38's. Some will say no way but under my 800 they are just fine sofar and I have a V8
I dont think you will have to much trouble fittin a 302 in a 80 I have seen bigger in 80's before. I would jump in with both feet and report back every week or so.....
Oh ya I put waggy rears in the front and chevy 56's in the rear my buddy with the 80/350/465/klune/205/60/14b has 56's/63's in the lifted version with 40's..........ANYTHING goes but I dont have to tell you that ~Josh~

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 01-31-2005 at 06:40 PM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 6
the chevy is by far more common, and if it allready had one why even consider ford?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 33269
I'm just wierd I guess? My dad had a 66 Fairlane with a 289 . My first car was a mustang with a 302. My uncle has a sand rail with a BUILT!!!! 302 in it. I just dig a small block ford.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6
you thinking roller fiveoh or ?

I'm happy with my 5.0, no doubt - but I got it because it was the deal at the time.

http://rcrc4x4.com/mambo/index.php?o...id=26&Itemid=2
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
IF....and again IF...I were building an 80/800 early Scout I would go with a Vortec 4.3/700R4 or 4L6E whatever tranny.

You would have everything you need in a tight little package...light weight 6 cylinder, automatic, lots of other tranny options....Add in factory fuel injection, a computer that matches the motor...no fiddling with mapping a fuel/spark curve...

I think I might be talking myself into it....DAMN IT....

Then I would run it through a Sammi T-case as they are divorced and run some 4 or 6 to 1 gears in it....

MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK...

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 02-01-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 33269
ROLLER 5.OHHH That would definately be the plan. I am thinking Fuel injection and all.
Keep the ideas coming I am listening and taking notes. I plan on compiling everyones best ideas and make a parts list and goin shopping If I was going to do the Vortec V6 thing I would keep the Samurai
Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
I'll have to look for it but I saw in a mag a guy built a Sammi on a Scout II frame with a Ford small block.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow
IF....and again IF...I were building an 80/800 early Scout I would go with a Vortec 4.3/700R4 or 4L6E whatever tranny.

You would have everything you need in a tight little package...light weight 6 cylinder, automatic, lots of other tranny options....Add in factory fuel injection, a computer that matches the motor...no fiddling with mapping a fuel/spark curve...

MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK...
My thoughts also.

When ya gonna start
Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapzuki2
ROLLER 5.OHHH That would definately be the plan. I am thinking Fuel injection and all.
Keep the ideas coming I am listening and taking notes. I plan on compiling everyones best ideas and make a parts list and goin shopping If I was going to do the Vortec V6 thing I would keep the Samurai
picture this in a scout.. soon..

My opinion on a V6 is that it is just two cylinders short of a V8

Look at performance goodies, how many do you see in the summit/jegs catalogs for the V6? There are some but by far more goodies for the V8's..

Last edited by Brandon; 02-01-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote