Semi float Dana 60 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Cool Semi float Dana 60

Hey Guys
Did any IH come with a semi-float Dana 60 ( 5 on 5 1\2 or something that could be converted to that) rear? I know Scout's didn't but couldn't find any info on T-alls, Pick-ups etc. If they were available, what did they come in and width ( WMS to WMS) if anyone knows.
Second I havn't been able to find anything on this. I understand that some Travelalls and trucks came with a Dana 44 rear. Is this true? If so does anyone know the width ( WMS to WMS)?
Thanks for all the good info.
srscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Surprised you couldn't find anything, its been discused.

Yes
63"
yes
63"

*some* 1/2Ton IH Pu's and T-alls came with an optional D60-2, or semi-float D60, 5 on 5.5 pattern.

Think a Scout II D44 with a D60 center. Same set-10 bearings, same 30-spline shafts. You *can* have 35-spline shafts built, Dutchman for one.

The rest of the 1/2Ton Pu's and t-alls got D44 rears. Same 63" wide. Later ('74/75) pu's had a slightly wider rear (I'm told, never confirmed it myself).

If you want a D44 unit.... I have (3)
Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Web Wheeler For Hire

Member # 26999
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite
Same set-10 bearings,
You sure they were not set 20 bearings?

I've got the Dana 60 semi float five lug in my Travelall, I beleive it was part of the tow package...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Quote:
Surprised you couldn't find anything, its been discused.

Yes
63"
yes
63"

*some* 1/2Ton IH Pu's and T-alls came with an optional D60-2, or semi-float D60, 5 on 5.5 pattern.

Think a Scout II D44 with a D60 center. Same set-10 bearings, same 30-spline shafts. You *can* have 35-spline shafts built, Dutchman for one.

The rest of the 1/2Ton Pu's and t-alls got D44 rears. Same 63" wide. Later ('74/75) pu's had a slightly wider rear (I'm told, never confirmed it myself).

If you want a D44 unit.... I have (3)
Thanks for the info. I have a narrowed FF60 ready to go in the back of my Scout, but the state has decided to get REAL strict on safety inspection. If I convert to the 8 lug front to match the 8 lug pattern on the FF60, the tires are going to stick out far enough that I will either have to run flares (which I really don't want to do) or it won't pass inspection.
I could narrow a semi-float 60 to match the 44 front and width wise I would be OK. If the semi-float shafts arn't any stronger than the 44, maybe I would be better off narrowing a 63" 44 ( better ground clearance) to match the front (61" WMS to WMS) and use hardened shafts.
What do you guys think?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Mark
You sure they were not set 20 bearings?
No, I've never played with one *personally*.

BUT for all the research/info/posts I've heard/seen on them, they are almost identical to a D44 with the exception of the D60 center.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by srscout
Thanks for the info. I have a narrowed FF60 ready to go in the back of my Scout, but the state has decided to get REAL strict on safety inspection. If I convert to the 8 lug front to match the 8 lug pattern on the FF60, the tires are going to stick out far enough that I will either have to run flares (which I really don't want to do) or it won't pass inspection.
I could narrow a semi-float 60 to match the 44 front and width wise I would be OK. If the semi-float shafts arn't any stronger than the 44, maybe I would be better off narrowing a 63" 44 ( better ground clearance) to match the front (61" WMS to WMS) and use hardened shafts.
What do you guys think?
Run the 8-lug stuff.

Add a little more back-spacing in the rims to pull the wheels/tires in if need be. Baring that, get some rubber SSII style flares (JC Whitney) and run those. If done well they actually look very good and keep you legal.

If thats still not your preference. Don't bother with a D60-2. Since your going to narrow the thing. Pick up a cheap standard D60 center, get some Set-20 housing ends (Summit Racing, Big-Bearing Ford 9" ends) and use those. Then call Dutchman or who ever and have them make you a set of 35-spline alloy shafts.

Figure about Free-$50 for the housing
$100 for the ends
$0-$200 for the set-up
$300 (last I checked, I'm sure they are more not) for the shafts.
Brakes and gears/locker. Still about 1K, but bulletproof for a "light" truck and you get bigger bearings that the IH stuff.

Whats the truck? What are your specs? Heck, you could just stay with the Stock Scout D44 if you don't need the beef of the D60. Run Alloys if you want. Add small wheel spacers if you want it a *little* wider.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29271
Quote:
No, I've never played with one *personally*.

BUT for all the research/info/posts I've heard/seen on them, they are almost identical to a D44 with the exception of the D60 center.
SET 20? You mean the adjustable rear axle bearing setup?

Those went out sometime between 68 to 72. The 73 1010's with the rear 44 and the 60-2 both use SET 10 bearings, and Scout retaining flanges. They even use Scout II rear brakes.

My 68' 1100 4x4 uses those damn adjustable bearings (for now) and they are more trouble than they are worth. From all appearances, you could change out to SET10 on those rigs as long as you used Scout II retaining flanges.

But I am putting in an FF 60... no more 5 on 5-1/2 crap for me.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Quote:
Run the 8-lug stuff.

Add a little more back-spacing in the rims to pull the wheels/tires in if need be. Baring that, get some rubber SSII style flares (JC Whitney) and run those. If done well they actually look very good and keep you legal.

If thats still not your preference. Don't bother with a D60-2. Since your going to narrow the thing. Pick up a cheap standard D60 center, get some Set-20 housing ends (Summit Racing, Big-Bearing Ford 9" ends) and use those. Then call Dutchman or who ever and have them make you a set of 35-spline alloy shafts.

Figure about Free-$50 for the housing
$100 for the ends
$0-$200 for the set-up
$300 (last I checked, I'm sure they are more not) for the shafts.
Brakes and gears/locker. Still about 1K, but bulletproof for a "light" truck and you get bigger bearings that the IH stuff.

Whats the truck? What are your specs? Heck, you could just stay with the Stock Scout D44 if you don't need the beef of the D60. Run Alloys if you want. Add small wheel spacers if you want it a *little* wider.
I guess I should have given the spec for the Scout. 75 Scout II XLC, 350 Chev\ Sm-465\ NP-205. Spring over with 4.10's\ front and rear No-Slip's and 35" MT\R's. The current rear is a stock Scout 44. The reason for swapping it out is strength and to match the front width wise. The front is a Chev 3\4 ton 44 narrowed to Scout II width with Ford 1\2 ton outters. The front is now 61" WMS to WMS, and the rear is stock at 58". I would like the rear to be as wide as the front. I will probably never break the 44 rear but was going with the FF60 rear because of the matching width (when narrowed) and the piece of mind it would give me strength wise. I will most likely still go with the 3\4 ton stuff and just suck it up and run the flares.
Thanks for the info.
BTW--- I just scored a Pro-Tool bender with 1" 1 1\2" and 1 3/4" dies so as soon as we get it set up and going I will post a review of it.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC-6

Those went out sometime between 68 to 72. The 73 1010's with the rear 44 and the 60-2 both use SET 10 bearings, and Scout retaining flanges. They even use Scout II rear brakes.

My 68' 1100 4x4 uses those damn adjustable bearings (for now) and they are more trouble than they are worth. From all appearances, you could change out to SET10 on those rigs as long as you used Scout II retaining flanges.

But I am putting in an FF 60... no more 5 on 5-1/2 crap for me.
The set 20 bearing is the bearing you use when you build an diff with 1.5" shafts and Ford big bearing housing ends:

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 29271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout
The set 20 bearing is the bearing you use when you build a diff with 1.5" shafts and Ford big bearing housing ends:
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure, that is why I said:

Quote:
I wasn't sure. I had had to order one of those adjustable bearings, and they didn't come as a "SET" anything.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
Quote:

But I am putting in a FF 60... no more 5 on 5-1/2 crap for me.

Here, here!!! Eight lugs all around!

Also back to the original question - try a 5" BS wheel with the eight lug outers, by all my measuring with my high steer arm and factory chevy parts for the rest a 5" BS wheel should clear with not much issue. You might be real close to factory width up front.

And simple flares are not a huge deal, if you don't go crazy they don't look to bad....
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
I wasn't sure. I had had to order one of those adjustable bearings, and they didn't come as a "SET" anything.

IIRC, someone told me once that the "adjustable" bearings were "Set 7"... but I don't really know, haven't had to deal with it yet.

But if I remember right the same sorce said you can pull all the "Set 7" stuff and just swap in Set 10 stuff.....
Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyscout
Here, here!!! Eight lugs all around!
Axle alloy , spline count and O.D. are far more important than the fawking number of lugs! You sound like all the tards from the BB thinking a 8 lug D44F is SOOO much stronger!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29271
Quote:
Axle alloy , spline count and O.D. are far more important than the fawking number of lugs! You sound like all the tards from the BB thinking a 8 lug D44F is SOOO much stronger!
That isn't what he meant, Bob.

We have a bunch of folks upgrading to 3/4 ton axles up here in our neck of the woods right now.

But you are right about alloy, splines, and O.D.

Now, haven't you got some noobs in General Tech to pick on?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Thanks for the insight bob

My 30 spline 44 FF shafts from dutchman were $450.to save some coin you can get some from yukon in a generic length and cut to fit.that's what we did with my buddys,except in 35 spline.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
You sound like all the tards from the BB thinking a 8 lug D44F is SOOO much stronger!
You got it wrong Bob... is the D44HD... get it right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.