Breakout Traveler Build-up - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 70148
I can absolutely understand that. Around here you can get a 5.3 or 6.0 with harness, accys, ecu, and 90 day warranty for $500 from the junkyard. Wrecked trucks go for $1000. They changed the engine swap game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc@hotmail.com View Post
I can absolutely understand that. Around here you can get a 5.3 or 6.0 with harness, accys, ecu, and 90 day warranty for $500 from the junkyard. Wrecked trucks go for $1000. They changed the engine swap game.
Wow that's cheap.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Send a message via Yahoo to Tahcustomscout
I have them... Its hard enough to find time and money to work on this thing as it is.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
welcome back, why are you staying with the stock axles knowing the hp that is on the way?
I have them... Its hard enough to find time and money to work on this thing as it is.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:57 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by larboc@hotmail.com View Post
x2, there's no way I'd spend that much money and time on 44's. Or on a 350 for that matter.
They will do all Ill ever need... that is until I get a wild hair and build it up again.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP, when I started my Scout build LS based engines were still really expensive so a 350 made sense. I've watched them drop at least 1/2 in price and its tempting me to make the switch before I ever even get it running with the current 350.

Tahcustomscout, I'm digging this build and all the machine work. Keep it rolling.
Im Trying to. I think Ill be working on the links this weekend now that the weather has cooled off a bit.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 147458
awesome build thread i just read through it over a few 15min breaks at my job. you are WAY more productive on your breaks than i am! excellent machining work and setup. i work in quality at a cnc shop and your parts look as good or better than what we ship off to aerospace industry customers. this is the kind of tech pirate needs and is what makes the site so amazing and useful. this wealth of information and knowledge shouldnt ever be taken for granted. looking forward to seeing your take on the dana20/20 doubler and a linked n coiled rear! keep up the awesome work and pics!
76scoutII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Frame is all prepped and ready to go

So over the past few weeks I have been prepping the frame. Scraping and removing all of the old undercoating, cutting off all the old spring perches and motor mounts (where I found a couple of stress cracks). So after cutting the cracks out and replacing the metal I straitened all of the tabs and body mounts that needed attention, ground down any welds that I was not satisfied with and touched them up, then added paint.

I also fabbed up some rolling stands that hold the frame up to the required ride height for setting up the suspension. It also will help me roll it around so I have room to work. This week I hope to have the rear truss all cut out and formed so I can put it on next weekend. I am still trying to decide on whether or not to cut and dimple holes in the truss or to keep it solid to prevent bud and debris from building up in it.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Gotten A bit done in the past two weeks

So for the last two weeks I have been tearing down and cleaning up the axles to prepare for the Locker, Gears and Truss.

I also purchased a Variable Frequency Drive to run my Bridgeport, which came in handy this weekend as well.

I started by placing the E-Locker in the case and lining up where to drill the 15/32 hole for the wires.

Then I hit the cases again with a wire brush and cleaned the debris out of the housing.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Truss

I started the truss by fabricating the skeleton out of 3/8" A36 and tack welding it to the axle tubes.

Then I cut the front and back skins out of 10 ga. and welded them up completely both inside and out. After welding I cleaned everything off with a wire wheel and started installing the gears.

I did end up getting the pinion gear installed and set but ran out of time.... I was getting tired and the walking dead was coming on....

Last edited by Tahcustomscout; 11-10-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Tahcustomscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Made a little progress this weekend

Well I fabbed up some upper link frame mounts a few weeks ago out of some 1/4" sheet..

I made my Upper Links outof 1.5" O.D. x 1/4 Wall DOM and the Lowers out of 2" O.D. x 3/8" wall DOM. I used Welded on Johny Joints on one end and threaded Joints on the other.

Here is how she sat on Sunday afternoon.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 66787
This weekend I as able to finish up the frame mounts and truss for the lower links. I jigsawed it together our of 7 ga and 1/4" plate.... I am pretty please with the way it came out. Plenty of clearance for the links and dodged all of the body supports and floor boards. I have a little more gusseting to do, but I think I will wait until I see how my exhaust is going to fit before I put them one.

Now its on to the front axle and time to buy some more parts... Anybody have a lead on good deals for Coilovers right now?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Over the weekend I finished burning in all the components of the 4 link, then I completed a disc brake converstion. I placed the engine back in the frame and relocated it about an inch back and down from its previous location. The prior engine mounts were crap so I will being building a new set this week, as well as a new trasmission brace and cross-member, which will also be used to support the front lower links. With the engine back in place I was also able to start mocking up the front links with PVC. I also purchased the new tires and wheels, but they will not come in until the week after next.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Well Since I have Drill this weekend this is all I could get done. I want to triagulate my lower front links a little bit, but in order to get the right clearance I needed to build an new transmission crossmember as well... This will serve as both. I cut the plates out of 7 ga with two 3-1/2" x 1/4" wall tube inserts which will reinforce the cross member while giving me an avenue to route my exhaust.

Tacked up and in position

All welded up.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #115 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
All your work is impressive, but DAMMM that crossmember is awesome. Is that something you could cut more of at will and sell?

Are those upper link mounts going to clear under the stock floor without a body lift?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #116 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106935
So whats gonna happen if the transmission needs to come out? Digging the work though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SEBA
levi1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
All your work is impressive, but DAMMM that crossmember is awesome. Is that something you could cut more of at will and sell?

Are those upper link mounts going to clear under the stock floor without a body lift?
I guess... I still have the program and just have to run it... and yes the floor actually raises up 6-8 inchs right where the mounts are.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1a View Post
So whats gonna happen if the transmission needs to come out? Digging the work though.
Yea I know... After I mocked it up I sat there and looked at it for 45 min or so contemplating whether or not to continue. If I need to drop the tranny I will have to break the engine loose and move it forward about 3-4 inches... which I have the room to do, but it would still be a pain. In the end I opted for a more solid platform over convenience.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #119 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahcustomscout View Post
Yea I know... After I mocked it up I sat there and looked at it for 45 min or so contemplating whether or not to continue. If I need to drop the tranny I will have to break the engine loose and move it forward about 3-4 inches... which I have the room to do, but it would still be a pain. In the end I opted for a more solid platform over convenience.
You could always split it in two places and weld in some square 4 bolt flanges.

SEBA
levi1a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #120 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
I'm not really into naming projects..but I dub thee Lazarus. Arise from the dead! Top notch work. Good things take time. Took me 5 years, (including 3 PCS moves and a deployment) to get mine "done". Well, off jackstands, tagged, and insured and on the road.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
You could always split it in two places and weld in some square 4 bolt flanges.
Yep... You are right. and depending on how the link mounts come out and look, that option may be on the table.. It may be two weeks till I get to that point though...
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
I'm not really into naming projects..but I dub thee Lazarus. Arise from the dead! Top notch work. Good things take time. Took me 5 years, (including 3 PCS moves and a deployment) to get mine "done". Well, off jackstands, tagged, and insured and on the road.
Ha! Yea shes been laying dead a while.

Last edited by Tahcustomscout; 03-06-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Tahcustomscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
I'm with you levi1a, been there way too many times.

Love the mount, but it needs to be removable. You never know where you at and need to drop it. If you take a 2 week trip to Moab for instance, front drive line breaks, hit the trans and need to weld a crack in it like I had to do, winching it down and up off the rollcage makes it easy. You only lose a day instead of a wasted trip. So much easier to throw a strap around the whole trans/transfer cases( I have a doubler behind a 4l80) and winch it down and back up. No scary jacks, especially on soft ground.

Another thing I have done on a Traveler build with the IH powertrain. I have cut the D20 in 1/2 as the first range box, and then used it to power a divorced 205. Worked great. Then you can have a completely flat bottom for a skidplate.

Last edited by Shadow man; 03-06-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I picked up my Tires and Wheels today. 37x13.5x17's. I also recieved some more rod ends to continue on my front links this weekend!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #125 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 69678
Really nice build man. I see guy's talking about time,I know the feeling. My 800 has been tucked away for 6 years and just got back into the build two weeks ago. signed back up here today and looking forward to progress and input from the crew of guy's around here.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.