Breakout Traveler Build-up - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Send a message via Yahoo to Tahcustomscout
So this weekend I started on the front Links. It was one of those weekends where you have to do the same thing 3 times because you didnt like how it came out. I also made new engine mounts and brackets... I ended up spending far more time on those than I did anything else. I still need to make the axle mounts for the upper link as well as the panhard bar. But that will have to wait until later this week.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I came home from work to find a nice package waiting for me. 14" Travel Fox Coil Overs.... Thanks for the great deal from CCOR. Looking forward to a great weekend of getting them mocked up!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 66787
This was a weekend of modifying a few things that I wasnt happy with and tying up loose ends. After getting all of the front link mounds all finished up I saw that there was indeed plenty of space to make a removable section in the transmission cross member. So I cut out a large center section of and notched in four 1/4" plates with 7/16 bolts to allow the transmission to be dropped (after levi1a made a solid argument)...

I also did not like how little clearance the front yoke had with the cross member so I took some 4" dia x 1/4" wall pipe and notched it in... Im pretty happy with how it turned out. Lasty I layed down a few coats of paint on all of the new brackets, links, and rear axle in prep for assembly this week.
Next I need to finish the upper link mount and panhard bar mount on the front axle....

Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 50955
That's some serious fab. I like how you kept the lower links above the bottom of the frame. Did you run numbers through the 4 link calculator?
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
That's some serious fab. I like how you kept the lower links above the bottom of the frame. Did you run numbers through the 4 link calculator?
Over and over again...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I really wanted to finish up the front end this weekend... I cannot stress how much I wanted to finish... So I started by fabbing up the bracketry for the front axle.

Then after a cutting a bunch of posterboard up and making a template out to confrom the truss to the front diff, I trimmed it out of 10 gage and thought it looked like a firm foundation.

Then I added the rest of the brackets and it started to look a little tall.. but I thought.. lets get it all together before and see how the front articulates...

After that was complete I started working on the track bar mount. I saw that it was going to interfere with the steering box, so I had to reverse how the tab mounted from what I planned. I made it a little high to try and keep the track bar parallel with the drag link, and at first it looked like everything was working out well. But after it was all assembled the bar was a bit steep and when the passenger side axle was articulated the track bar hit the harmonic balancer..... dammit.

I think I put too much adjustment into the front links and it made the brackets too tall. In the end I will probably take a torch to the track bar mount and drop it down a few inches, possibly move the upper link mount twords the center of the axle a few inches and hack off the taller area of the track bar mount on the axle... but first I will do a cut and turn on the knuckes and see just how the drag link will mount up.

Hell... Maybe I just need a nap and a weekend off
Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 66787
WASH

RINSE

REPEAT

A little Cut and Turn Action with six degees of caster angle and in the end I am back to where I should have been two weeks ago.... Oh well. At least I am there.

I started mocking up the locations of the shock towers and I think I am going to order the some bump stops. Next weekend I hope to have most of the towers complete, but lets see how this week goes.

Last edited by Tahcustomscout; 04-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Tahcustomscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #133 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
great work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I spent some time fabricating up the rear shock tower. At first it worked and worked to try and mount the coil overs to the outside of the frame, only to be twarted by the roll of the rear axle. I just could not keep the rear tires from rubbing the shock, or the shock from hitting the frame. So I guess I'll just cut a hole in the bed and frame it out. 1/4" Main plates and 10 ga. caps.... I think it came out good.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Awesome fab work. I might have missed it, but how high are you planning on it sitting (frame height)?
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 472Scout View Post
Awesome fab work. I might have missed it, but how high are you planning on it sitting (frame height)?
Thanks. It should be between 22.5" and 22.75"... That is as long as the skid plate sits flush against the rails, which it should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.