Breakout Traveler Build-up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Send a message via Yahoo to Tahcustomscout
Breakout Traveler Build-up

Well I think its about time I Start a Thread on this. I’ve been putting it off for some time. I have been working on this project off and on since May of 2005. First off, I am not new to autos or fabrication, but I am new to off road. My goal here was to start off with a truck I could use as a daily driver, and work on my skills as applied to the off road world. I will build a trail rig as a second project. I choose a 1979 Traveler for this first project. It had a 345, 727 auto, Dana 20, and Dana 44’s. Everything was pretty much stock with the exception of the eight inch vampire fangs.

Well the engine was blown, had a spun main, and two rod caps were off. The rear diff was tore all to crap, the front left wheel bearing had not been assembled right and the nut worked itself off, one bad tie rod end, and the entire brake system was dry rotted and need replacing. The body was solid, not exactly strait, but mostly just surface rust on the exterior. Now the floors were another story. All the door seals had dry rotted and let water leak in for almost five years before I bought it. I am sure there was more problems, but that’s all the problems I can think of right now.

Last edited by Tahcustomscout; 08-19-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Tahcustomscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66787
So first things first. I tore out the old engine, transmission, and transfer case. After getting the block, crank and heads to the machine shop, I found out the crank was bent and cracked, one main cap had gotten to hot and shrank, and one head was cracked from the exhaust valve to the spark plug hole. So, all that with the cost of the parts and availability of performance parts, I chose to convert it to a Chevy 350. So I built one. Bored it .030 over put on heavy casting heads “from a GM Goodwrench motor” and a Comp Cam Extreme 4x4 12-231-2 with a Quadrajet carb.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I built the adapter plate out of ¾” hot rolled plate. I saved a little time and effort by having it burned out, then I brought it back to the shop, ground it flat and laid out the holes on a mill. You can see in the pic how I got around two overlapping holes. I also had to weld some ½ inch spacers to make up for the transmission offset to the torque converter, and a small nipple that extended the nipple on the torque converter to fit into the Chevy crank shaft. I made it out of UHMW.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I had to replace the carrier, spider gears and ring and pinion in the rear end, So I bought some used ones on ebay for both the front and the back. Changing them from 3.07’s to 3.54’s. (Trying to keep it streetable) The bearing nut and lock nut on the front left side were messed up and I couldn’t find the right parts. So I bought a standard Dana 44 set and chucked the lock nut up in a lathe and faced it off to half the thickness. It worked great. So I then replaced the all of the u-joints while I was down there. I ended up having to go back later and replace a rear axle seal. But the seal surface on the shaft was pretty worn. I turned off about .005” - .008” and polished it. It worked fine. Oh yea I replaced the Master cylinder and both rear brake cylinders. The rebuilt the front calipers and installed all new pads, shoes, and hardware.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66787
I put in a Jegs aluminum radiator. I made a wrap around frame out of some scrap 16 gage sheet laying around, and wrapped the tanks in some 3/32 rubber mat I found in machine a packing crate. The fan I put on was way to small but it was all that would fit between the water pump pulley and the radiator. Well I found out that didn’t work worth a damn, so a few months later I put on a 3” body lift kit and that allowed me to drop the radiator 3 inches and move it forward 1½”. When I get a few coins Ill put on a 16” fan.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Then I set in on the floors. I removed to floors one piece at a time so I didn’t make the tub sag in any area’s and fabricated some new floors out of 16 gage cold rolled. I had to completely rebuild the wheel wells in the back so I used 20 gage on the curved parts (it is a hell of a lot easier to bend). I moved them in four or five inches, I can’t quite remember. The only piece of non-rusted steel in the bed was left there. It was the center corrugated part of the bed. I still have some odds and ends pieces to fab up (inner door corners and such) but it is mostly done. For now I just painted it black, Ill put Huculiner on it after all the odds and ends stuff is done.

Before

Sheet metel fabbed up.

Durring

After
Old 08-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 66787
At the same time I was putting in the floors I built a new dash with white face gages. This is only a temporary thing; I really want to make a fully custom dash out of fiberglass. But that will come later. I made this out of some scrap 3/16ths aluminum I had lying around and I put Equas gages in it. Then I made a roll bar out of 2”x 1/8” wall cold rolled tubing. I didn’t have a bender so having more time than money right now; I cut out a tubing die on the CNC machine and bolted it to a large boring mill table. I used a bottle jack to turn the die and bend the tubing. What a P.I.T.A.! Next time Ill take the extra time to make a frame for the bender and just to it right. I spent all night at the making the die, setting it up and bending the tube and I still bent it in the wrong spot. I had to cut it in half, take out a few inches and weld it back together. Fortunately you can’t tell. I also put a three-inch body lift. I got a Deal on some 33x12.5x15 BFG A/T KO’s on ebay for $124 ea. And only drove 140 miles round trip to get them. I mounted them on 15x8 Craiger Soft 8 rims. One thing I over looked was the backspacing. They have a 4” back spacing, but they fit and don’t hit, so drive on….

Last edited by Tahcustomscout; 08-19-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Tahcustomscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Now it is my daily driver. I have plans to put an SOA and build some custom bumpers too. But I am running out of time. I am deploying in a few months and will probably just take off the top and enjoy my ride for the rest of the summer. I will work on the body and paint in my spare time but not too much more. But today I did do a reverse shackle. I have looked at a lot of different styles and I liked Damiens version the best so I modeled it after his. (Hope you don’t mind). I was goofing off at work and wrote a program for our laser machine, and put them in on other jobs where material might be wasted. I welded them together, and got some new spring bushings.

Before I started I measured the distance between my spring eyes with the weight on the springs. 42.5”. I took a 2” wide piece of channel iron and drilled some holes 42.5” apart and when I was setting the distance between the front and rear mounts I just put that piece in place of the spring and set the shackles straight up. As you can see I did get off a little but its good enough.

Here is how it looks now. The RS gave it another inch to inch and a half lift in the front .By the way, look at the rear spring eyes. I don’t have another scout to look at and compare, so tell me do all scouts have that bend right before the spring eyes? Or are my spring just bent?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Finaly a thred worth reading

nice work! good job and keep us posted
Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahcustomscout
By the way, look at the rear spring eyes. I don’t have another scout to look at and compare, so tell me do all scouts have that bend right before the spring eyes? Or are my spring just bent?
My Scout II eyes with the same axle as yours are bent like that. I kinda always wondered that myself. I'll post a picture tomorow, but they look exactly like yours.
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooblet
My Scout II eyes with the same axle as yours are bent like that. I kinda always wondered that myself. I'll post a picture tomorow, but they look exactly like yours.

same, its the norm
Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 77045
i have a question ?

i just bought a 90 yj and my front and rear end's look just like your's and i was wondering if is ? what your wheel bolt pattern is ? mine are 5x5 1/4 im trying to find out what they came out of so i can get part for it . thank's for your time !
shaggy one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy one
i just bought a 90 yj and my front and rear end's look just like your's and i was wondering if is ? what your wheel bolt pattern is ? mine are 5x5 1/4 im trying to find out what they came out of so i can get part for it . thank's for your time !
This SO does not belong here. Instead of fucking up somebody's nice thread, why dont you ask that question in the 'Newbie' forum. Run along

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 77045
shaggy one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Way cool thread

I bought my Scouts around the same time May 2005.
With big plans to go wheeling that summer. I am still building it I guess I should do a build up thread too, as I have learned a ton in the last year and 1/2.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Theif Im Gonna Sue!

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Theif Im Gonna Sue!
What ??

Do those look like the DandCExtreme RS setup
Old 08-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Hey, If you see a good idea or design, go with it...
So watch out. If I see something of yours I like, I may steel it too.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".
Isaac Newton - 1676
Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
Hey, If you see a good idea or design, go with it...
So watch out. If I see something of yours I like, I may steel it too.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".
Isaac Newton - 1676
Nice quote, I'm actually going to write that down...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 53545
Here is how it looks now. The RS gave it another inch to inch and a half lift in the front .By the way, look at the rear spring eyes. I don’t have another scout to look at and compare, so tell me do all scouts have that bend right before the spring eyes? Or are my spring just bent?
[/QUOTE]

How does that thing ride? In my opinion your shackle angle is off you should have a slight reverse angle in the shackle to allow the supsension to work. The way that is set up it almost appears that it would try to fold the shackle towards the front of the truck. If it were mine, I would either move the front fang forward 1 1/2 to 2 inch or you move the rear hanger, of course if it works good then leave it alone.
ihochad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 66787
[How does that thing ride? In my opinion your shackle angle is off you should have a slight reverse angle in the shackle to allow the supsension to work. The way that is set up it almost appears that it would try to fold the shackle towards the front of the truck. If it were mine, I would either move the front fang forward 1 1/2 to 2 inch or you move the rear hanger, of course if it works good then leave it alone.[/QUOTE]

Actually it rides amazingly better. Im not sure what did the most, the RS or the new spring bushings. Hardly any body roll, very smoth and more resposive.But now I know for sure my shocks are bad, I can feel my tires bouncing all over the place when I hit a large bump.... But thanks for the input....
Old 09-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 66787
Last night I figured I’d tackle some rust that I had found around my windshield. So I pulled the front cap and found a hell of a lot more than I thought was there. First I found a damn squirrel nest in front of the heater core, and a few spots on the inner fenders and around the vent block off on the passenger side. But when I pulled the wind shield frame, it was eat the f*** up. Most of the under side was eaten away and there were seven holes clean threw the metal under the glass seal. I finished the entire underside today. But tomorrow I go for the parts you will see from the outside.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Sorry man, thats too much rust, you're going to have to tube it out now.

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
First I found a damn squirrel nest in front of the heater core...
When I read that I assumed "squirrel nest" was an idiom that I had not heard of...but then I saw the picture of the nuts stashed and realized you weren't joking.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you...no pun intended
Old 09-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 65726
traveler

I had one of those in high school. The extra wheelbase was nice for hills, and snow wheeling. Go with 44 inch tires
binderbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.