Pirate 4x4 banner

37's and 4:10's

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Cliffy [JD] 
#1 ·
Is this gonna suck. My buddy Jeenjer, has 4:10's and 36's and he seems to hate it. Especailly going down hill.

I'm wondering if I should be building the caddy500 a little sooner than planned. I don't want to go with lower gears, I'm hoping to compensate for that with the added torque.

Whaddya guys think.

PS: I sure my 345 is a bit worn too. But I haven't driven it enough to say for sure.

#4 ·
Cliffhanger, that 345 shouldn't have any problems moving it around, but i think wheeling you may roll up on stuff faster than you like, now if you had a 4-speed i think you would be okay but with a auto i would go 4.56's. I run 4.56's with 36's (soon to be 37's) with a t-19 and off road, around town, and pulling hills i love it, but down the highway on long drives at 70+ mph it tachs higher than i like.

#5 ·
D300 ???

Cliffy I've got a Binder D300 with the TF bull gear I'll make you a good deal on. Set up for twin sticks (pills removed).

THe 4.10's on the highway will be ok. The big passes may be a bit of a struggle, but other than that it will run fine. When I had mine years ago it had 4.27's and 36 X 14.50 TSL radials and went down the road just fine.

You'll notice the lack of gearing offroad, i.e in low range. The 2.62 in the 300 would be a nice addition.

Let me know soon. I'm headed back to Turkey on Friday. Best to reach me over on: Colorado4X4.org

L8TR, Bob

#6 ·
I ran 4.27s with 33s for years and I loved it. Now I got Q78s (35.5) and it sucks. I'm goin' to 38s soon and will regear to 5.13, slightly lower than I was with the 4.27s.

I won't be doin' much highway driving anymore.

#10 · (Edited)
It sounds like the thing I'm gonna need sooner than later is an atlasII 4.3 $$$$ Time to start saving.
I meant behind the caddy and TH400

Kinda depends. My plans change a lot, but right now this is them:

Build Caddy Engine W/appx~450hp/500ft lbs (mostly stock, also considering adapting an EFI to it :smokin: )
Get B.O.P/Short Shaft/Fixed yoke/2wd TH400
Get AtlasII

Bolt all together..VIOLA` BULLET PROOF!

But if I don't go that route, I'll consider my other options.

#11 ·
Re: D300 ???

Bob Levenhagen said:
\The 4.10's on the highway will be ok. The big passes may be a bit of a struggle, but other than that it will run fine.
You're kidding, right??? My daily driver runs a 345 4bbl, 35's, and 3.54 gears, and the only time I have to downshift on a pass is if I'm towing!! I ran 4.10's for a while, and although around town snappiness improved, it ran the engine unnecessarily fast on the highway.

Anyway, for a trail rig, with a close 4spd, d20, and 37's, obviously it's gonna be too fast with 4.10's. I hope you're saving for a t-case gearset! The caddy can easily turn those gears, even the 345 can too, but it's just too damn fast, who wants to go bouncin' over everything?? that sucks!

I hope you figure a low gear solution that works for you, but I don't think lower than 4.10 is essential to get there.

#12 ·
Re: Re: D300 ???

Bindernut said:

You're kidding, right??? My daily driver runs a 345 4bbl, 35's, and 3.54 gears, and the only time I have to downshift on a pass is if I'm towing!! I ran 4.10's for a while, and although around town snappiness improved, it ran the engine unnecessarily fast on the highway.

Anyway, for a trail rig, with a close 4spd, d20, and 37's, obviously it's gonna be too fast with 4.10's. I hope you're saving for a t-case gearset! The caddy can easily turn those gears, even the 345 can too, but it's just too damn fast, who wants to go bouncin' over everything?? that sucks!

I hope you figure a low gear solution that works for you, but I don't think lower than 4.10 is essential to get there.
Thanks for your input.

I have a TF727 though. not a 4spd. That just makes things worse I'm sure though.

I'm going to be saving for an ATLAS first.
Which reminds me, does anyone know, If I buy an atlas to go with the 727. Could I later buy the adapter for the TH400 (actually what I'm told is that the TH400 I plan to run needs no adapter) Anyway I'd like to start saving for the atlas NOW and use it with my current drivetrain and my future drivetrain, OBVIOUSLY to save money.

I should probably just call AA:rasta:

#14 ·
Cliffhanger said:
Well that answers my question:

AA does NOT (according to the person I spoke with) make an adapter for the TF727

I'm REALLY surprised :eek:

So I guess I'm saving for the engine and tranny before the Atlas.

Until then I'll just make sure my brakes work REALLY well.
Of course they don't.. you don't need one. :confused:

Can't you bolt an Atlas up where a Dana 300 was without any work?

Build a 727 with a Jeep tailhousing..

Heck, you could do that with a Dodge tailhousing, run a Dodge NP203 and a doubler to a NP205..

#15 ·
Welll Exscuuuuuuse ME!..:flipoff2:

I think that's a pretty good option.

So it's like this then, Get a tail shaft from a Jeep 727 that was matted to a D300??

What about a IH 727 with a D300 tailshaft, probably not the same huh?

Anything else I'd need to do? New tailshaft maybe. If it's just the housing it'd be worth the effort, otherwise not. How rare are these and how much $$ to the usually go for??

#16 ·
I wouldn't worry about it that much Cliffy. Just wheel the thing and see how you like it. I ran a tired 304, 727 and 4.10's for a while w/ my 36's.

To put an atlas behind the 727 using the Wagoneer tailshaft, you'll be buying a 23 spline Atlas. They atlas you want for behind the TH400 will be 32 spline. So you would need to change the input on the atlas when you do the Cadillac swap.

#17 · (Edited)
Cliffhanger said:
Welll Exscuuuuuuse ME!..:flipoff2:

I think that's a pretty good option.

So it's like this then, Get a tail shaft from a Jeep 727 that was matted to a D300??
Tail (or is it "main"?) shaft and extension housing from a Jeep 727 in front of an NP231 and similar round-pattern 'cases.

You'll have to disassemble your 727 to do the conversion.

What about a IH 727 with a D300 tailshaft, probably not the same huh?

Nope. It's the same as the one you have now, with a Dana 20.. the Scout Dana 300 is a 300 in a Dana 20's clothing..

Anything else I'd need to do? New tailshaft maybe. If it's just the housing it'd be worth the effort, otherwise not. How rare are these and how much $$ to the usually go for??
No idea on prices. Makkat runs a 727 like this with a Jeep 300 in his wife's racer as well as his trail rig (right?).

Since Mark was going through 727s at an alarming rate at the time, I think it just made sense to do the conversion when rebuilding the 727. :)

I just eat tail-housings at a good clip.. :D I have yet (knock on wood) to burn up a 727.

Did pick up a "new" empty IH 727 case from my parts pile at a buddy's place last night while dropping off the "new" '74 4x4 pickup.

Gotta take the guts out of the broken-case'd 727 and swap into this good case and get that swapped into my mom's Scout II.. (hmm.. or into my new '74 4x4 pickup with a married D20 behind it... no, stop that..)

Oh yeah.. and what Ben said.. WHEEL IT and then worry about what to "fix".. :D

Wheel it before you lose interest. :D

#18 ·
Ben W said:
I wouldn't worry about it that much Cliffy. Just wheel the thing and see how you like it. I ran a tired 304, 727 and 4.10's for a while w/ my 36's.

To put an atlas behind the 727 using the Wagoneer tailshaft, you'll be buying a 23 spline Atlas. They atlas you want for behind the TH400 will be 32 spline. So you would need to change the input on the atlas when you do the Cadillac swap.
Well shit, there went that idea. Thanks for the info BEN ;):beer:

#19 ·
If I were you I'd jump on Bob L's D300 or get a tera low gear set for your D20, if your cad swap is more than 2 years away. If you're planning on the Cad swap sooner than that, I would save the money and keep the rig as it is. Your rig will ok on both the street and trail as it is, but a little extra low range wouldn't hurt. :)

#23 ·
jeenjer said:
is cliffhanger gonna be blowing his money on this atlas II? with 450hp and 500ftpds of torque. i've heard "rumors" of the atlas's only capable of handeling up to mid amounts of power. can they withstand a hopped up caddy 500?
I know a guy who is running an atlas behind a 392 and a T-19

It hasn't gone kaboom yet :eek:

#25 ·
Cliffhanger said:
Well what's the difference in Low's between the D300 and the D20. If it's not more than 1-1.5 R's then it's not reall worth the effort I don't think.

Plus I don't think I can afford the D300. Although I never asked him how much.:confused:
D300's are going for between 2-300 bones, plus another 50 for the tailhousing. For the money 750 for the Tera gears is a good choice. You can always resell the case and the gears for $750 when your done.

Joe

#26 ·
Well, Jeenjer seems to think I'm a throttle wheeler. I'M NOT! When we were going up heart attack hill I was in first and low, so my rpms where high, but I wasn't going over 5mph and I never stomped the pedal. BTW that was with a I-6/SM465/NP205 in the blazer.

I'm building the hopped up caddy engine so that I don't HAVE to get into the throttle while wheelin'. I'd like to be able to idle up hills :flipoff2:

Also I'm building the caddy engine to compensate for the gearing, in conjunction with the 37's, for around town/highway cruising.

So it's not like I'm gonna be THROTTLE OUT! on the trail or around town.

BTW, When I do get an atlas it'll be the 32 spline input/outputs :D

I doubt I'll be blowing anything. And if I do, I'll give you the pieces Jeenjer:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.