Lockrite,EZ Locker, and Quik Lok - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10807
Lockrite,EZ Locker, and Quik Lok

Now i know that they're the exact same concept, but just different names. I know that all they do is replace the spider and side gears, from the open carrier. But is there any difference it strength between the three. I am asking this question b/c i have a quik lok that i ordered from 4 wheel parts, i ordered from them b/c they said they could get it here it 4 days and they did. But other than that i hate 4wparts. I called them and asked how much a lockrite was and said $241, then go in there the next day and say they don't even sell lockrites, but they do sell ez lockers. Then in the mail comes my QUIK LOK!!!!, i didn't order a quik lok, i ordered a ez locker. I know that they are the same concept but i don't like being decieved when it's my money that i earned. Is there any difference between the three. I know i should pony up to a detroit, but i am not going to keep that 44 front for a long time (60 front).

Or am i just being pissed off and there is really no problems w/ the quik lok
snoop dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5946
quick lock is a Detroit EZ locker in different packaging. Tractech is marketing them thru genuine gear now, and the name has changed to Quickloc. Exact same locker. If you order a lockright, National Tire & Wheel will get it to you very quick, with free shipping.

Hayraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2002, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
YOUR Going to IT UP! Do a search and you will find just how weak they are.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout
YOUR Going to IT UP! Do a search and you will find just how weak they are.
Mine has been hit and miss in the front. With the rear welded and the diff as full of fluid as I could get it, the EZ-Locker has been working well. The only time it gives me trouble is on hills where the back has little to no traction. It'll hold me over until I regear and go Detroit.

Joe
Old 05-28-2002, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5946
Never had a problem with my loc rite not holding, but I know of a few failed EZs. I won't have to worry about it anymore, because me and d44's are thru, and I have a detroit for the 60.

Old 05-28-2002, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11535
Send a message via ICQ to Binderfan2002
I have an ez locker and i hate it. i have a cuple hubs and you cant even keep on the gas without it rachiting up a storm. i talked a cuple people out of putting them in just by letting them here what it sounds like. I would run a open befor buying one of them again. But im just a Newbie what do i know.

Steve

Last edited by Binderfan2002; 05-28-2002 at 07:31 PM.
Binderfan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10807
well i ran a lockrite in my old scout front 44 and had no problems, but i had 33's at that time and 3.55 r&p, now i have 35's. So should i go lockrite in the front??? is it any stonger than a ez locker? Im not going to put any money into that front 44 as i hope to build a 60 front, so for the time being i would just run a locker that replaces the spider gears. What would be another alternative instead of a ez locker? I know full detroit, but don't have the money and would rather wait to do that for a 60 front, but i still want to be locked in the front (NO WELDED DIFF) as this is the reason why i am putting a locker in...the welds busted, and if i kept running a welded diff it would just bring frame problems (near the steering box) and steering box problems
Old 05-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11535
I am running 33's curently with the ez locker up front and with a powerlock in the rear. Joe almost had me convinced i had no fluid. But when i pulled the plug i had enought fluid. He was just luccky i think and got the only one that works worth a damn. He was running 35's Now I belive he has 36's. I guess we will see how it hols up. I Know im not the only one that has had this problem though. Honestly If you have ran a lock-rite in the past and had it work the way it should by all means go with that. im just not sold on the ez lockers. It has stoped me from really wheeling my truck cause everytime i go up a hill or rack it up i Shoot a hub out the side of my truck. I know it cant be good for the locker itself engageing the way it dose. I am going replace it with a powerlock. It might not be a true locker but... I Know I can go wheeling and not have to cringe every 10 sec.

Steve

Last edited by Binderfan2002; 05-28-2002 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Also new or newer thrust washers also make a difference, my front 44 has very low miles. Talking to the boys at tech boys at Trac Tech if you are seeing a lot of slippage then replace the two thrust washers. In the old carrier I had more problems, then new carrier seems to run tight enough to keep the EZ locking.

Joe

BTW, Steve you still want the 35's?
Old 05-28-2002, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11535
I will try doing that if it is not wasted by now. I really dont know if i want to waste my time though. we will see.

Yeah i still want the 35's. Have to wait a for my next pay check. I will probley pick them up when I goto Amandas Graduation party. I'm sure I will see you then. If theres any problem just let me know i will arange somthing if needed.

Oh Nice body work. How much to fix mine?

Last edited by Binderfan2002; 05-28-2002 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8226
Send a message via ICQ to Bindernut Send a message via AIM to Bindernut
Quote:
Originally posted by jdjanda

BTW, Steve you still want the 35's?
Nah, not after the way you treated them when you did your rear quarter up like that! Steve was wondering where you get off treating *his* tires like that?

Joe, what happened to your wheel scouts avatar?

[QUOTE=Mechanos]"I did a fine job of spotting you through the gravel parking lot, but once we got on rocks over 1" diameter, I was screwed."[/QUOTE]
Bindernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Quote:
Originally posted by Binderfan2002
I will try doing that if it is not wasted by now. I really dont know if i want to waste my time though. we will see.

Yeah i still want the 35's. Have to wait a for my next pay check. I will probley pick them up when I goto Amandas Graduation party. I'm sure I will see you then. If theres any problem just let me know i will arange somthing if needed.
I'll bring em, oh and the price is $400.00, after the Hollister Trip

Quote:
Originally posted by Binderfan2002
Oh Nice body work. How much to fix mine?
Full tank of gas, and some Pork Skins is all I need, I can do the work on just about any trail, I like to drive by feel.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Quote:
Originally posted by Bindernut

Joe, what happened to your wheel scouts avatar?
In an effort to help reduce the load on the server we are all asked to pull our Avatars
Old 05-29-2002, 05:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4239
Ez-lockers suck, mine was only in the rear of mine for about 3 months and thats all i could take of it not staying locked, so in went a full spool and away went the problems, I have never had any problems with my front lockright. The Ez-locker uses a single spring to lock each pin over the dual springs per pin of the lockright and it seams to stay locked better. I have been thinking off getting some Lockright Springs and using them with the Ez-locker in another scout and see if it solves the lockup problem.
TERRA-IZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4001
I don't think that I would put an EZ, Lock Right, Or any other "spider-replacing" locker in the rear. Your asking for trouble. However, I had a Lock right in my old 44 and it worked great...can't beat the price either. In fact, when I built this 60, I was unsure of which way to go. I thought that I wanted a selectable locker but I don't like ARB's and the OX is just coming out so I wanted to wait a bit to see how they are. Lastly, I am really intereted in seeing how the electric locker will turn out. So, with all that in mind, I put another Lock right into my 60 front and I figure that I will be able to use that until I figure out which way to go.

Side note: We put an OX in my buddies TJ (d30) about a month ago. That thing works beautiful. My only bitch is that the cable routes out on the drivers side and therefore has to wrap around the coil. Also, he ordered the longest cable they had and it is barely enough. I'd hate to see a fullsize try to route that thing.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
I've always thought the Lockrights to be stronger than the EZ. Warranty is better (even for tires over 32" tall).

I've only smoked my front Lockright once in 4 years, and I was asking for it.

Another buddy ran front/rear Lockrights in his 44/60 combo with 36" Buckshots in a fullsize F250. Not a single problem from the LR, but he got tired of wasting axle joints.. when he put in his RR60/D70 5.13 combo he went with Lockrights again.. and now he's rolling on 42s.

Of course, he's not a full-throttle kind of guy, and he's happy with his 400M.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Re: Lockrite,EZ Locker, and Quik Lok

Quote:
Originally posted by 392ssII
..... But is there any difference it strength between the three. ....Then in the mail comes my QUIK LOK!!!!, i didn't order a quik lok, i ordered a ez locker. I know that they are the same concept but i don't like being decieved when it's my money that i earned. Is there any difference between the three. Or am i just being pissed off and there is really no problems w/ the quik lok
from what I've heard, the QuickLock is a Detroit unit....just re-badged. The main difference in the EZ and the LockRite is that the LockRite is a little stronger (due to material). Otherwise they are all identical. LockRite was first, then Detroit copied it with the EZ, and now 4WP has the re-badged EZ, named the QuickLock.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8226
Quote:

In an effort to help reduce the load on the server we are all asked to pull our Avatars
No shit? I've been gone, I missed that one. Ok, thanks for the "pull your head out of your ass".

sean

[QUOTE=Mechanos]"I did a fine job of spotting you through the gravel parking lot, but once we got on rocks over 1" diameter, I was screwed."[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2002, 05:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:

Lance and 4x4grl still have them soooo I say Bulshit

BUY MY BOAT
Old 05-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 5982
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=avatar

Old 05-29-2002, 06:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ghlight=avatar

Go read Lance's reply in the moderator forum about the removal. OHH yea you can't!

Like I said before , Lance and Kelly still have there avatars there can't too much to Matt's little plan.

BUY MY BOAT
Old 05-29-2002, 06:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 5946
I'm keepin mine, fucker cost $20

Old 05-29-2002, 07:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8226
Can you say PLACEBO????

Like, 3 people delete their avatars in that one thread, and now they're saying it is like 50 times faster and shit. Sure. Well DUH, that particular thread will load faster since everybody in there has removed their avatars. Besides, the text of the threads loads first so you can start reading, *then* the avatars fill in. What a bunch of crap. I'm puttin' mine back, dammit! RED STARS RULE, AVATARS ARE....COOL. yeah.

roses are red,
violets are blue.
Red stars are.....red,
and avatars are pimp shit.

Last edited by Bindernut; 05-29-2002 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 10807
well i would be putting the ez locker in the front...but after hearing all this, i figure i return the ez...since it hasn't been used and get a lockrite for the front.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 11535
Good man.