Then and Now - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #226 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
So THAT is why you were getting rid of the leafs!
I know what i'm doing next winter
Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 100982
All the work that was involved to link it, I'm thinking I should have stayed wth the leaves. Still more to do. Need to tie the trackbar mount into the diff housing, build pads for the air bumps, either relocate or trim the upper trackbar mount, square up the axles. Ordered up some crane high steer arms today. The sky arms on it now are very short, and I have only 2 1/4 turns lock to lock, so the steering reacts very quickly. I'll pull the stops out of the steering arm to use the full 8"s of stroke and then drill the crane arms to match up. It will also give me more "power" to turn the tires due to the longer arm having more leverage on the knuckle. Beefcake, you going to have yours ready for the hammers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rkscout; 07-02-2010 at 06:59 PM.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #228 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
If I have to finish it on the trailer while my buddy drives(can't vouch for the legality of 65MPH rig building) I'll have it ready. Just made the decision to go ahead and save for a 203/205 doubler. Might take a month or two, but that and tires are my last big purchases.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Your going to need some pretty tall tires to get clearance under that dana 80. I don't think you'll need to worry about breaking it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #230 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Your going to need some pretty tall tires to get clearance under that dana 80. I don't think you'll need to worry about breaking it though.
Thats the issue, i'm just gonna run gov surplus 37's, so do I shave it and work with the clearance that i have and know that I have the strength to run 40's? Or do I swap it for a rear 60/14 and gain clearance but need to put more money in shafts when I go bigger? Questions questions questions.

I'll try not to worry about clearance, I hear there are lots of rocks to stack at the hammers
Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Finished tying the track bar mount into the diff. I didn't want to weld to the housing, so I can up with this. The 1" plate has a bolt in it that goes into the hole where the center pin would go if it was still leaves. The taller round plate is the bumpstop pad.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 100982
A little more done this weekend. Had to change the frame side trackbar mount . When I would flex it, it would hit the tranmission pan. Built a longer mount so it wouldn't pull the front end over as much. Everything is a very tight fit. When flexed out and the drivers front tire is turned to the left, it contacts the coilover. I'll put some limit straps on it to keep the tire out of the spring. Only hits with the 37"s. The 38" swampers clear though. (they are narrower and have less backspacing on the wheels) Still need to do put some springs on the brake lines to keep them out of the tires.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 100982
More pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Couple more.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Did a little more on it. Changed up the tire carrier a little bit. It used to just slide into the reciever and not pivot down. It made it hard to load things in. Added a top mount and made it hinge. Also got the limiting straps installed. Now I just need the high steer arms and mounts for the steering cylinder to show up so I can redo the steering. I also want to tie the diff guard into the steering mount. Trying to get it all done before I hit the Rubicon on Memorial Weekend.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 106550
Looking good Doug. Are you going up to the Rubicon in June also? I got a buddy that has been wanting to go and see what it's like and I figured if you guys were going maybe we would jump in with you.
colesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Yep, still going the second weekend in June as always. Your more than welcome to come along.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #238 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
One of my all time favorite Scouts
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 106550
Thanks I'll try to make it. Haven't been real busy at work these days so it all depends on the funds,but it has been a couple years since I was up there.
colesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #240 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I was talking to my cousin in truckee yesterday. Says there is a TON of snow up there. We were planning a june 5/6 trip, but it may not be possible according to him. they are still getting snow as of two days ago.

rkscout, have any pics or info on how you dropped the nose on that thing?

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #241 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Thanks on the heads up on the snow levels. We'll be camping at wench creek campgrounds memorial weekend, and just going in for day runs. That will give me an idea on the snow condition for when we try and run the full trail two weeks later. As far as how I dropped the nose down, I built new body mounts that raised the body 2"s. I cut the grill down just below the turn signals. (probably gained another inch) I relief cut the top of the fender where it bolted up on the top at the firewall. Then I just pushed the fender down. Since I had already cut the fender so much that there was no support to it, it was pretty easy to more it down and in. It did give the fender a slight bulge though. I like the look of the bulge though. Of course though, I cut out all the inner fenders and it is all bolted to tubing. Also a pic of the hood. Give's you an idea how I sectioned it. If you want any pics of certain areas, let me know and I can take pics of it.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Looks like the same way I did my hood too....adding a skinny triangle in the front.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #243 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
thanks for the info. Im not sure if I will pinch the front or not. but I would like to drop the front some, and already cut out all the inner fenders and will copy you regarding hanging stuff from tube. Also figured it would give me a good place for the CO's.

So if I understand correctly, you just put a relief cut in the top, where the bolts are? the buldge is created because you did not take some of the side of the fender out???

how far did you drop the nose, and would you do more or less if you did it again?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
thanks for the info. Im not sure if I will pinch the front or not. but I would like to drop the front some, and already cut out all the inner fenders and will copy you regarding hanging stuff from tube. Also figured it would give me a good place for the CO's.

So if I understand correctly, you just put a relief cut in the top, where the bolts are? the buldge is created because you did not take some of the side of the fender out??? If you look at the attached pic, where the top of the fender meets the firewall, you can see the notch. That was done because the fender hit there when I pulled it in. Yes, the bulge was created because I didn't cut the side of the fender.
how far did you drop the nose, and would you do more or less if you did it again?
I believe that the nose is dropped 3"s. It gave me much better visiblity, that and the narrowing. I haven't felt the need to drop it lower. I also can't take it down much lower, because then the hood would hit the top of the radiator then.

If you don't plan on narrowing the front, I think that you will need to relief cut the fender to be able to push it down.
Attached Images

Last edited by rkscout; 04-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #245 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
got it, thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 100982
More done yesterday. Pull the ram apart and removed the stops that were inside. Now I have 8"s of stoke instead of 6"s. Installed the crane high steer arms and drilled it out for the heims. From the center of the kingpin to the center of the hole for the heim, is 7 1/2"s. That puts me on the steering stops when I run out of stroke on the ram. Also had to more the ram forward 2 1/4"s so it lines up with the holes in the new steering arms. I now have 3 1/4 turns lock to lock, compared to 2 1/4 turns before. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet to see if it handles better.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Quote:
Edit.. Pulled the ram apart and removed the stops that were inside. Now I have 8"s of stoke instead of 6"s. From the center of the kingpin to the center of the hole for the heim, is 7 1/2"s. That puts me on the steering stops when I run out of stroke on the ram.
I made my ram travel stop at the knuckle stops. Or risk shearing off the bolts/studs holding the arms in place when making tight turns. You can adjust the stops out, but don't pin it to win it with the wheel fully clocked or the u-joints might get mad.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Drove it around a little last night. The steering is soooo much better now. Not as touchy as it was before. Handles well too. I get some pretty good lean going into turns, but nothing that I can't control.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Drove it around a little last night. The steering is soooo much better now. Not as touchy as it was before. Handles well too. I get some pretty good lean going into turns, but nothing that I can't control.
Testing time is over, drive the piss out of it and take video!

Good job.

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
Testing time is over, drive the piss out of it and take video!

Good job.
Thanks. This is how the ole' girl spends most of her time on the road though. I get better mileage towing her to the trails than if I I drive her. Plus I have a/c and satelite radio in the dodge. Dug up some old pics back from '03 too.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.