Then and Now - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Killer job very clean
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 51801
Very cool.Nice Scout!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 24591
Super nice build!!

Got any shots of the doubler and its position in the truck? How much floorboard manipulation was needed to it keep tucked in high and tight?

I've found a new favorite 80/800.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Installed a heater. Ran ducting to the defroster ports. Not much room for the heater vents, ran it under the steering column. Seems to put out some good heat, should keep me warm on my snow runs. Need to change the thermostat out from my 165 to a 180.
Which heater? I'm going to redo mine again...

Last edited by scout254; 12-13-2008 at 09:32 PM.
scout254 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Only have 1 pic of the doubler right now. I need to change the tranny oil, so I'll need to pull the skidplates, then I can get somemore pics of the doubler. No cutting of the floorboards. The doubler is clocked 2" up. I do have a 2" body lift built into it and that helped clear everything. The heater I used is a heatercraft. It had 2 ports coming out of it but I needed 3, so I cut out the ports off the old heater and screwed them into the new heater. Now it has two, 2" ports (defroster ducting) and one 2 1/2" port (vents). I'll take somemore pics of it tonight.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Hey Doug, Did you go with ORD on the doubler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Yes, went with the ORD with the 2" up clocking on the 205. Cage is looking good on yours.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 105834
I was considering the flat, but with the HP 60 I have an issue with the starter motor. I hope the 2" up will work. anyway glade to see yours is all better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Picked the scout up from Minaglia's Upholestery yesterday. He did a fantastic job on the back panel. Drove it home in the rain, no leaks, and nice and warm inside. He even made the back window match the angles of the cage.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Sweet dumb question. Why did you go standard V versus inverted on your windshield? I doubt it matters for strength but when i put mine in I like the visability of inverted better.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 100982
My cage is tucked close to the windshield and the mirror was kind of in the way. Plus, I liked the way it looked with the V instead of the inverted V. I've found that for me, it doesn't affect my vision at all.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Found time to change out the fluids and while I had the skids off I snapped some pics of the doubler for those that asked how it fit. Now I know that my crossmembers are not to pretty, but I built them 6 years ago and have since learned to fab much better. But they work so I havn't felt the need to build nicer ones, plus you can't see them when the skids are on.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Here's a shot of the frame rails where I plated it with 3/16" angle iron, after an incident with a large boulder that resulted in a dent in the frame. You can also see that the skidplate sits a little lower than the frame. If I wanted a flat belly then I would have to cut the tub to clear the tcase. Also, you can see my custom bent skidplates (from my last run on the Hammers)
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #89 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Shaazaaaam! Very Nice!
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Looks good Doug, nice war paint on the under side.!!!!!! six feathers for you.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 125848
awesome build! I love the top on there...it looks so clean and factory. This may be a dumb question but...what is that little piece right above the back window on the top? Looks like some sort of fitting there....just wondering. Awesome Scout though!
98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 32403
cb antanna mount
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Yep, CB antenna. Well, took it out for it for it's first snow run this year. Heater and halfcab worked out great. Definitely kept me warm and toasty inside. Had one problem though. I had 1 injector stick wide open on the way back down the mountain. So after pulling the injector and trying to clean it, ended up jb welding it closed so I could make it down the mountain on the other injector. Couldn't just unplug it because it was stuck in the open postion. Finally happen. Had to tow it home on my buddy's truck and trailer that he towed his rig up on. I take pride in the fact the my rig isn't a trailer queen, so it was a little embarrassing to have to tow it back home, but what can you do. Didn't think to carry a spare injector. I will now though.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 13731
Looks nice.

Sucks that the efi let you down... I've been there.

uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Some reason you didn't clock the 205 flat with the bottom of the frame other than a tunnel clearance issue? I would definately make the clearance for the 205 and it appears to me that the 203 at the trans cross-member can be made strait across with 1 1/4" tubing. Mine is.

From here, a few miles away, it looks like you don't need a cut out mount. With the 205 flat, your front drive-line should clear a strait mount.

Last edited by Shadow man; 01-02-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Yep, CB antenna. Well, took it out for it for it's first snow run this year. Heater and halfcab worked out great. Definitely kept me warm and toasty inside. Had one problem though. I had 1 injector stick wide open on the way back down the mountain. So after pulling the injector and trying to clean it, ended up jb welding it closed so I could make it down the mountain on the other injector. Couldn't just unplug it because it was stuck in the open postion. Finally happen. Had to tow it home on my buddy's truck and trailer that he towed his rig up on. I take pride in the fact the my rig isn't a trailer queen, so it was a little embarrassing to have to tow it back home, but what can you do. Didn't think to carry a spare injector. I will now though.
No need for embarrassment, sh/t happens, at least you had a rig their to bring you home.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Some reason you didn't clock the 205 flat with the bottom of the frame other than a tunnel clearance issue? I would definately make the clearance for the 205 and it appears to me that the 203 at the trans cross-member can be made strait across with 1 1/4" tubing. Mine is.

From here, a few miles away, it looks like you don't need a cut out mount. With the 205 flat, your front drive-line should clear a strait mount.
I already get some slight driveshaft bind at full droop on the rear shaft, so if I go any higher with it, it will bind it up. Sure I could put a limit strap on it, but I've haven't yet found where it has held me up at all with it hanging down a little. That's why I built the skids so I could slide on them. I do need to change out the bolts on the skids to button head bolts so it's a little smoother. It may be the angle that I took the pic, but if the center cross member was straight it would run right into the driveshaft. Plus I have a low pinion 60 and a lot of droop in the suspension. There would be no clearance for the front shaft as the suspenion cycles. I'm gathering parts to put together my other 350 I have sitting here. So when I pull out the one that's in it I may redo the motor and transmounts to move everything higher. We'll see. Depends on how lazy I am. I do want to raise the motor mounts and get rid of the 4x4 steel spacers I put in to raise the motor up. The motor mounts were in it when I got the rig.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Well, I haven't talked to much about what I did for the steering. Back when I got the scout, it had a powersteering box on it. The kid I got it from said he had put the box on. I don't know what it came off of, but when I had it rebuilt they said that it was a IH box. Did the 800's come with powersteering? The rag joint was shot, so I found a u-joint style coupler that fit the splines on the box and would work with the chevy steering column that I put in it. (didn't have a column in it when I got it) Bought an AGR pump, and ran it that way for a couple of years, until when I wanted to go to high steer. Bought some poison spider high steer arms for the Jeep J20 front 44 that I had in it at that time. Well, I find out that the pitman arm is going to be in the way of the tierod. So I cut the stock steering box mount off and built some new mounts out of 1/2" plate. Put a slight bend in the plate so the pitman clears the frame when turning. (Nice having a 100 ton press) I think I moved it @ 3 inches forward. It's been a while since I did it. Now I had to cut out a notch in the grill for the box. Built a lower steering brace and skidplate for the box. Fast forward a couple more years and the AGR pump goes out. A call to PSC, and now I have their performance pump and remote reservoir. Works great, haven't really found the need to go with a ram assist. Turns the 38's fine. Let's see what else? 3/4" x 3/4" heims, tierod 1 1/2" dom .250 wall, draglink 1 1/4 dom .281 wall. Think that's about it on the steering. Oh, Sky Manufacturing high steer arms on the 60 and tranny cooler as a P/S cooler.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Cut out the old engine mounts and welded in some new ones I had laying around. Built some runners to hold the front of the skid plate up. Assembled my spare engine. It will go in next month.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 105834
hey Doug, That's a good looking motor on the stand. what kind of numbers you got with it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.