Then and Now - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Not sure on the #'s. I'm hoping for 325+. Bought it from a friend a couple of years ago. He had bought a mid 80's tow truck for the front 60 and it had a freshly rebuilt 350 in it. I paid $50 for the motor. I pulled it down and checked it all out. Everything looked good. 4 bolt main bottom end. Installed a high volume oil pump, comp cam extreme 4x4 cam, (second largest one, didn't want to change to a high stall converter to run the larger cam) double roller timming chain, edelbrock performer heads (had them sitting around for another truck that I now don't have), roller rockers, and performer rpm intake. Hope that will get me the power I'm looking for.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #102 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Pulled the old motor out thurs. Ran into a problem when I tried to install the exhaust manifolds on the aluminum heads. When I tried to bolted them on, the manifold would hit the lower portion of the head and not seal. Bought some block hugger headers, but I knew that they would not fit between the firewall, because the exhaust manifolds would barely fit. Plus now I have to get the exhaust redone. Slipped the engine in to see where I need to trim the fire wall, then pull it back out. Cut the firewall, reinstall the engine, get two bolts in, look up and see that I forgot to put the flexplate back on. Pulled it out again, reinstalled the flexplate then slipped it back in. Hope to get it all back together on Sun. Get the exhaust redone next week and then fire it up to break in the new cam.
Attached Images
   
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #103 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
We'll I did get the exhaust redone a couple of weeks ago. Brought it home and it fired right up. Great. Turn the hand throttle up to 3 grand to break in the cam. After 5 minutes I see that the headers are starting to glow, crap, I check the timing, adjust the computer, still glowing. Mess with it the next day, still can't figure out why the hell it's running lean. The next day I have a side job to pull the engine, tranny, t-case and wiring harness/ computer out of a rolled '97 k1500. (engine, sm465, atlas all going into a yj. I'll be installing that also. Never done a smog legal swap before, should be interesting.) Spent the next day (missed the superbowl) dropping the pan, timing chain cover to check that I had installed the cam correctly. I did. As I'm putting that all back together I notice that the intake gaskets are oil soaked. Pulled the intake, checked the heads and intake with a straight edge. Looks good. Reinstalled the intake with new gaskets, fired it up, intake still leaks. ( leaking through the lifter valley) Pull the performer manifold off the old engine, installed the performer on the new engine, with new gaskets. Still not right. Now I'm pissed. Mon. cleaned up the old engine, repainted and resealed it, installed the roller rockers, performer rpm intake, and headers on it. Pulled the new engine out and installed the old engine back in. Old engine runs tits. Better than before. Talked with Edelbrock, their telling me that I need to use their special gaskets. I don't know. Feed up and tired of pulling engines.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by rkscout; 02-12-2009 at 10:14 AM.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125848
Location: Olean, NY
Posts: 453
hmmm thats odd about the new engine...I take it you didn't install the edelbrock heads because of the sealing problem you were having with the intake? That's odd...that sucks cuz the new motor with better heads/cam then the old one would definately make more power. Whats the specs on the old one? Just stock heads and cam or what? Why didnt you put the new cam in the old motor? Wouldnt work with the valvetrain and rods/heads on the old motor? Well that sucks.... I hope you get it figured out, cuz like most all of us think,the more power the better!!! I think you'd be better off with the headers, even though they're not long tubes they prob wouldnt choke the motor as much as the manifolds would, especially the new one. It just sucks it was a pain in the nuts to get them in there. You should try and grab a video or some sounds clips of the motor, I'm sure it prob sounds pretty nice.. What did you do for exhaust on it muffler/cat wise? Good luck to ya bud, I hope you get everything worked out and BTW, I don't know if I've told you this but I think your scout is one of my favorites if not THE favorite one I have....Love it!! Sorry for such a long post and so many questions, just interested in it is all..
98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Installed some new Corbeau seats. Now that I have only the halfcab, I needed to figure a way to have my wife and daughter sit up front with me. Had my upholstery guy make me a backrest that I could bolt to the bulkhead behind the center consule. My daughter will sit on the center consule(it's padded and she's only 8) She tried it out and said she will be fine with it. Still need to add the seatbelt though. Put my swampers/allied beadlocks back on. The old girl's getting pretty wide now. 86 1/2"s up front. To bad my trailer is only 83"s between the wheelwells. Guess I'll have to go over the wells now.
Attached Images
   
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJ View Post
hmmm thats odd about the new engine...I take it you didn't install the edelbrock heads because of the sealing problem you were having with the intake? That's odd...that sucks cuz the new motor with better heads/cam then the old one would definately make more power. Whats the specs on the old one? Just stock heads and cam or what? Why didnt you put the new cam in the old motor? Wouldnt work with the valvetrain and rods/heads on the old motor? Well that sucks.... I hope you get it figured out, cuz like most all of us think,the more power the better!!! I think you'd be better off with the headers, even though they're not long tubes they prob wouldnt choke the motor as much as the manifolds would, especially the new one. It just sucks it was a pain in the nuts to get them in there. You should try and grab a video or some sounds clips of the motor, I'm sure it prob sounds pretty nice.. What did you do for exhaust on it muffler/cat wise? Good luck to ya bud, I hope you get everything worked out and BTW, I don't know if I've told you this but I think your scout is one of my favorites if not THE favorite one I have....Love it!! Sorry for such a long post and so many questions, just interested in it is all..
Actually the bottom ends of both motors are nearly identical. The newer one is bored .030" over though. Running the same cam, double roller timing chain, high volume oil pump, both are 4 bolt mains. Didn't swap heads, because I'm thinking that is where my problem is. No cat, single 3", 3 chamber flowmaster. Sounds good.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #107 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16680
Location: Rocklin
Posts: 3,500
what do you plan for a headrest for her? that bulkhed will hurt if she hits her head.

is that a blower motor in the glove box? what kind?

any shots of the doubler and mounts?
what did you stretch the WB to? looks like you just pushed the front forward?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
She's tall enough that her head is above the bulkhead. It's like a lowback seat. I won't be getting crazy with my wife and daughter in the rig. In nicer weather, I remove the bulkhead and bolt a highback bucket seat in the back. Yep, it's a heater in the glovebox. It is a heatercraft heater and works very well. Has a 3 spd fan. Check out post 87 for pics of the doubler. Wheelbase is now 103. Most of the stretch is in the front. Running chevy 47" front springs, and chevy 52" rears. I'm going to push the rear back another 1" when I link the back.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #109 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16680
Location: Rocklin
Posts: 3,500
thanks, not sure how i missed those.

hard to tell from the pic, but do you have room for a t-case e-brake?
is your motor in a stockish location?

nice build btw, very motivational
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plug ugly; 02-13-2009 at 08:28 AM.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Not sure on the diameter of the t-case e-brake, but I think it would be a tight fit. If I were to do it again, I would notch out the floorpan and push everything up to get a flat belly. Then there definitely wouldn't be room for the t-case e-brake unless you cut out the pan for it. I'm running a microlock for an e-brake. A buddy had an 800A with 304 in it, (factory) and that engine was way forward than mine is. Mines tucked back a little bit. That's where I needed it to fit the radiator in it. It's offset to the passenger side a little bit. I notched out the firewall to fit the headers.
Attached Images
     
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125848
Location: Olean, NY
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Actually the bottom ends of both motors are nearly identical. The newer one is bored .030" over though. Running the same cam, double roller timing chain, high volume oil pump, both are 4 bolt mains. Didn't swap heads, because I'm thinking that is where my problem is. No cat, single 3", 3 chamber flowmaster. Sounds good.
Yeah thats what I was thinking too with the problems getting the intake to seat correctly. Sounds like its prob pretty stout tho. What are you running for a carb? Does it have a lopey idle with that cam in it? Have any video clips or anything of it? Thats sick...chambered mufflers sound really good too...

Last edited by 98ZJ; 02-13-2009 at 09:08 PM.
98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29868
Location: columbia falls MT
Posts: 993
I am toyota guy, but you have an awesome rig. Great Job!
__________________
1996 Tacoma V6 5spd, duals, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 5:38's, 42" Iroks, exo-cage
1997 Dodge Cummins 5spd 4x4, 79 Dana 60 under leafs, Dana 80, 4:10s, 37's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blakeape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 54143
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
We'll I did get the exhaust redone a couple of weeks ago. Brought it home and it fired right up. Great. Turn the hand throttle up to 3 grand to break in the cam. After 5 minutes I see that the headers are starting to glow, crap, I check the timing, adjust the computer, still glowing. Mess with it the next day, still can't figure out why the hell it's running lean. The next day I have a side job to pull the engine, tranny, t-case and wiring harness/ computer out of a rolled '97 k1500. (engine, sm465, atlas all going into a yj. I'll be installing that also. Never done a smog legal swap before, should be interesting.) Spent the next day (missed the superbowl) dropping the pan, timing chain cover to check that I had installed the cam correctly. I did. As I'm putting that all back together I notice that the intake gaskets are oil soaked. Pulled the intake, checked the heads and intake with a straight edge. Looks good. Reinstalled the intake with new gaskets, fired it up, intake still leaks. ( leaking through the lifter valley) Pull the performer manifold off the old engine, installed the performer on the new engine, with new gaskets. Still not right. Now I'm pissed. Mon. cleaned up the old engine, repainted and resealed it, installed the roller rockers, performer rpm intake, and headers on it. Pulled the new engine out and installed the old engine back in. Old engine runs tits. Better than before. Talked with Edelbrock, their telling me that I need to use their special gaskets. I don't know. Feed up and tired of pulling engines.
Sidejob on a smog legal YJ, huh? Sounds like you need to start another thread.
__________________
I'll keep my freedom, guns and hard earned money. You can keep the "change".
93Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Wrangler View Post
Sidejob on a smog legal YJ, huh? Sounds like you need to start another thread.
Who hasn't done a yj build though. I might start a thread though, since we can't seem to find much on a ca smog legal 5.7 vortec swap. We'll have it ready for you by our Moab trip. Here's a pic of your rig for you Jerry.
Attached Images
  
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered User
 
R290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46467
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,351
I assume you look on the smog police web site?

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html
__________________
73 IH Scout
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
The guy who I'm building it with is very good on the electrical and has called BAR on what we need to have, to be compliant. We had a whole truck that we stripped and luckily it already was a manual transmission so the computer is setup for a manual transmission. (running a sm465 and atlas 4.3 behind the 5.7 now)

Last edited by rkscout; 02-26-2009 at 12:57 PM.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 110178
Location: mid Willamette Valley
Posts: 183
How do you like the 37's and 38's clearance wise with the d60's.
Zukiford87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiford87 View Post
How do you like the 37's and 38's clearance wise with the d60's.
It's allright. The front's not much of a problem, but the rear hangs up more than I would like. Here's some pics from Hollister last weekend. No one in the club made it through the left side on frame twister. I was the first to try it, and had the smallest tires.
Attached Images
   
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #119 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Well it's been awhile since I did much to the scout. Built some rear bars to try and keep the tub out of the rocks in preperation of the outer limits trail at the Hammers. Should have built the bars higher. It does fly well though.
Attached Images
    
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
I came down so hard on the rear bumper that it bent it up into the body. The front was flexing so much that it was grabbing the front fenders and bent them out. I also twisted the splines on the steering box at the pitman arm. Full hydro wil go in this month, then I will rework the rear body.
Attached Images
   
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered User
 
budget76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 38264
Location: Rocky Hill CT
Posts: 1,079
Send a message via AIM to budget76
Rk, Looks damn good, even with the damage. It was too pretty before

Rim happen from the landing, or crawling? Looking forward to more pics, that thing's always been
__________________
76 Scout, 85 Toy. 94 Cherokee ALL SOLD
Resident Web-Wheeler
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Rim happened when crawling. Jumped it about a dozen times. Walked off where the tires left the sand then where they landed. It was @40 feet. Had a blast doing it.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #123 (permalink)
JF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Member # 133890
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Rim happened when crawling. Jumped it about a dozen times. Walked off where the tires left the sand then where they landed. It was @40 feet. Had a blast doing it.
Vids?

Nice Scout.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125140
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 612
Sick rig! What headers are you running? What vehicle are they for? Can you post more pics of how well they fit? I still have the factory ram horns on my 350, but want to find a set of headers for it. First set i got didnt fit.

I also like your heater. What is that out of?

Last edited by JERM83; 11-09-2009 at 06:56 PM.
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Member # 100982
Location: Cloverdale, CA
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM83 View Post
Sick rig! What headers are you running? What vehicle are they for? Can you post more pics of how well they fit? I still have the factory ram horns on my 350, but want to find a set of headers for it. First set i got didnt fit.

I also like your heater. What is that out of?
Running Flowtech headers part number 11000FLT. Check post 102 for pics on where they hit the firewall. I notched out the firewall for clearance. The heater is a heatercraft part number 201HOR.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.