Then and Now - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #126 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
what do your rear shock towers look like?

thnkx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Not much. Tied into the cage.
Attached Images

rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 100982
So full hydro steering is on order, as are some ballistic joints for the rear. I'm going to do a trailing arm rear suspension with tj rear coils and a panhard bar. We'll see if it works. I will also cut off the back. I am thinking that I will cut out the rear tub behind the front seats and add tubing. Here's some pics on how I am thinking of cutting the tub. I will attach the rear skins to the tubing, and cut the frame off behind the axle.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 4586
rkscout I get idea of tubeing the back half, I just think your Scout is a sweet lookin rig. I'm at the same point to where the next step is a buggy. Its a tough call for me as I like to have the looks of a Scout but the trails are getting tough enough you need a buggy to keep wheelin without distroying the sheet metal. I look forward to seeing your progress, by the way your Scout is one of the best lookin early Scout I have seen and a great thread on Priate............Robert
Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
rkscout I get idea of tubeing the back half, I just think your Scout is a sweet lookin rig. I'm at the same point to where the next step is a buggy. Its a tough call for me as I like to have the looks of a Scout but the trails are getting tough enough you need a buggy to keep wheelin without distroying the sheet metal. I look forward to seeing your progress, by the way your Scout is one of the best lookin early Scout I have seen and a great thread on Priate............Robert
X2, and im all for hacking up sheet metal, your rig is just the standard for full bodied 80/800's everywhere! My scout has wet dreams about your scout. Its kindof weird.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 56574
This thread reminded me of this one...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...136&highlight=
Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
I'm with the above. It's your scout, do whatever the fawk you want with it, but I love it as a full-body scout. It's one of the nicest examples of a 80/800 i've seen. IMO it's too nice to cut up, at least until you beat on it and destroy the rear sheetmetal though It doesn't look like you have too many problems getting hung up in the rear either.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Looking for opinions. Still what to shorten it. What do you guys think. Cut the rear tub out an tube it and leave the rear panels like in the above pics? Or, leave the tub and shorten the rear fender and reattach the end caps? Or leave it as it is?
Attached Images

Last edited by rkscout; 11-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 4586
That still has a Scout flavor, me likey
Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #135 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Looks good to me. Honestly, I'd keep it full body till you start banging the sheet metal a little more.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 143219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Looking for opinions. Still what to shorten it. What do you guys think. Cut the rear tub out an tube it and leave the rear panels like in the above pics? Or, leave the tub and shorten the rear fender and reattach the end caps? Or leave it as it is?
Leave it as is. Really nice ride!!
stroked 350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 52376
When I bobbed mine I took off the end caps took out 8 inches and then just re-attached. Pretty simple. Then it also keeps the full bodied look, id say go with that.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 101407
Leave it or skin a tube frame. Don't like seeing beautiful rigs cut up.
Elvis38 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #139 (permalink)
JF

Member # 133890
I chopped mine up because I had already killed the bed sides. I chose to shorten the sides and reattach the end caps. In hind sight it would have been better to have sold it when it was relatively straight and built a full tube buggy and just rocked scout skins. So, if I were in your situation thats probably what I would do.

Its pretty nice as it is and therefore should bring a nice chunk of change that would go a long way toward a no compromise tube buggy. But its yours to do what you please with.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Thanks for the responses. After much thought, I'm going to leave it as it is for now. Right now I'm going to focus on getting the full hydro steering in, and building my hillbilly trailing arm rear suspension for it. Hopefully my steering and suspension parts will be here by next week.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 90212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
I say tube the rear and do something like mine. comp cut and shorten using the stock end cap seams like said before keeping just the outer skins. it still looks very scout. i had to cut my taillights because I wanted them to look stock but you shouldnt have that problem.
Attached Images

Last edited by stomp-a-jeep; 11-12-2009 at 11:08 AM.
stomp-a-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #142 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 69678
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp-a-jeep View Post
I say tube the rear and do something like mine. comp cut and shorten using the stock end cap seams like said before keeping just the outer skins. it still looks very scout. i had to cut my taillights because I wanted them to look stock but you shouldnt have that problem.
my wife parks just like that at the grocery store.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Well I got the steering in on Sat. Still waiting on the double ended ram to get here. Had an old ram at the shop that I made work until the correct one gets here. I have a run on Fri that I want to make. The new ram will attach to the high steer arms. Used the stock tie rod to attach the ram to for now. I will trailer it up to the run, so it will be fine. Its very touchy on the road right now. Not going to mess with it till I get the correct cylinder in though. Couple of pics of the old steering box mount I had made for it.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Cut a piece out of an old grill I had and patched the hole in the grill where the steering box came through. Still have to do body work to it, but I'm going to wait on that until I shorten the rear. Also took a few more inches out of the front fenders and grill to help clear the tires better.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 70373
Send a message via AIM to ogrescout
you probably get tired of hearing this but that is one bas a$$ unit. My favorite full body 800 and gets wheeled hard. Sweet ride top notch
ogrescout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Well the correct ram finally came in last week. Built a mount for it and installed it. With my short high steer arms, I only needed 6"s of stroke. PSC put stops in their 8" ram to give me 6"s of throw. They set me up with their slow orbital. The steering is still very quick though. 2 1/4 turns lock to lock. Has some road feel to it, and somewhat returns to center. Not as fast as the steering box, but it does return.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Install a borgeson steering shaft in it this week to get rid of the play that was in it. Much better now. Took it today for the first real trip down the freeway. It did well enough. Was crusing @ 70mph. It has a slight pull to the left. I don't remember if it had the pull before though. Have the cooper stt's on it now.Had a set of 33s on my '06 dodge and a set of 35"s on my '99 dodge. They both pulled to the left. Now both are running 35 bfg km2s and they don't pull now. I have to throw the swampers back on and see if that fixes it or there is another problem.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 46467
I put a large cup full of the heavy weight air soft bb's in my swampers and that made a hugh differance.

Yep, one bad ass 800 for sure.

Last edited by R290; 12-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Started on redoing the rear suspension today. It's going to be a three link with a panhard bar. Exhaust is in the way to do a four link, but if this doesn't work then I will have to figure out how to run the exhaust to clear the links. Springs are 3.5" lift tj rear's. Arms are 2" 1/4 wall tubing. More tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by rkscout; 12-28-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #150 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
really excited to hear about your 3 link rear. Im in the planning stages for my 80, and am having a really hard time figuring out rear links and NOT putting the fuel tank inthe bed. I need room for the boys and camping gear, so bed mount fuel tank is out. Have been leaning toard radius arm rear with panhard, despite what the pirate folks say about radius arms.

whats your overall pinch in the front now. like 6" per side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plug ugly; 12-28-2009 at 05:07 PM.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.