Then and Now - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Started on redoing the rear suspension today. It's going to be a three link with a panhard bar. Exhaust is in the way to do a four link, but if this doesn't work then I will have to figure out how to run the exhaust to clear the links. Springs are 3.5" lift tj rear's. Arms are 2" 1/4 wall tubing. More tomorrow.
I'd figure out how to move the exhaust...

Let me know if you want pics on how I ran mine. I have 4 link with single exhaust.

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
really excited to hear about your 3 link rear. Im in the planning stages for my 80, and am having a really hard time figuring out rear links and NOT putting the fuel tank inthe bed. I need room for the boys and camping gear, so bed mount fuel tank is out. Have been leaning toard radius arm rear with panhard, despite what the pirate folks say about radius arms.

whats your overall pinch in the front now. like 6" per side?
I though about radius arms also, but going to try this route. It will have a centered upper link and shouldn't bind when flexing like radius arms will. I don't have much invested into it right now. Already had the tubing, and a buddy gave me the springs. The panhard bar will be my old tie rod that I took off when I went to the full hydro. Just had to buy 6 joints, and the weld in bungs, also bought the lower coil buckets. All the other mounts I have been making myself. The front pinch is 5" per side.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
I'd figure out how to move the exhaust...

Let me know if you want pics on how I ran mine. I have 4 link with single exhaust.
Like to see pics on how you ran yours. My change the upper link to a wishbone.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 4586
My junk is four linked, and I had to dump my exhaust in front of the rear 60. Even if you can find space for the pipe to go above the axle, flex will be an issue. But then again I have four link. You can look at my exhaust in the 5spd/4spd transfer case install.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Mine follows the contour of the inside of the right side frame rail over the top of the diff. I have triangulated uppers from the frame to the truss. I'm very happy with this setup, certainly not ultra hardcore, but great preformance for me and great stability off camber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 12-29-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 100982
More done today.Just about finished the lower mounts and built the axle truss mount. Crossmember is going to be in the way of the upper link. I will have to notch it out. Will start on the upper frame mount tomorrow. Need to change the driverside lower shock mount to match the other side. Will tie the diff cover into the truss also.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Getting there. Upper link tacked in. Had to see what it would do. No panhard bar in yet. Allright, back to work.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
Getting there. Upper link tacked in. Had to see what it would do. No panhard bar in yet. Allright, back to work.
Panhard for the rear? I hope you're not using a panhard along with triangulated links?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Panhard for the rear? I hope you're not using a panhard along with triangulated links?
Looks like the rear has straight lowers ad a single straight upper link.

Sean
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
I was thinking just the opposite, I hope you're going to run a panhard with those straight links

Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Straight upper, slightly angled lowers.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipscomb View Post
Looks like the rear has straight lowers ad a single straight upper link.

Sean
Oh I see, it's a single upper link. I was looking at the truss on top of the axle and thought it was two links..
With no latteral support I'm suprised it didn't swing to the side and fall over when you twisted it up.
I guess I should have looked at all of the pictures.

Last edited by Binder; 12-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Binder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 100982
More done today. Got the truss tied into the diff cover. Started on the upper link frame mount. Need to finish it, and brace it better. Panhard bar tacked in. Notched out the crossmember, and welded in a piece of tubing.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Flexed up'ed, the panhard just clears the diff, need to pull the springs, and see what it does with the suspension at full stuff.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb

Nice fab work but I would try to support this upper link mount in some way as that is alot of force on a bracket that looks like the leverage is about 12" away from the mounting point on the square tube. Maybe weld another square tube in closer to the upper link mount tabs? Other than that, looks tits.

Sean
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipscomb View Post

Nice fab work but I would try to support this upper link mount in some way as that is alot of force on a bracket that looks like the leverage is about 12" away from the mounting point on the square tube. Maybe weld another square tube in closer to the upper link mount tabs? Other than that, looks tits.

Sean
Thanks. Actually that's my plan. I'm going to weld a piece of tubing near the link back to the cross member. The leverage on it the way it is now will probably rip it off the frame. Ran out of sanding discs today. Will have to wait to clean up all the torch cuts and misc stuff.

Last edited by rkscout; 12-30-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Cool. Keep up the good work.

Sean
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Quote:
Started on the upper link frame mount. Need to finish it, and brace it better.
Shit. I just went back and saw this. Keep up the good work I'm going back to my jug of eggnog.

Sean
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Just about have it finished. Need to cut off the old spring mounts, and do some clean up work. Drove it around the block, handles nice. Really happy how it came out. Added a brace and gusset to the upper frame link mount.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 46467
What, all this in like a couple days

Your making the rest of us look bad. Some have years into there junk and it still on jack stands.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #171 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
now, I know next to nothing about links, but could you not fit straight uppers and angle lowers in there? Center the lowers at the tcase output, and run straight lowers with your exhaust? And while we are on this subject, and at the risk of sounding like a total asshat, could you nut run the single upper with the same angled lowers, and if at 45 degrees, get rid of the panhard?

on a side note, do you have much rear steer with the panhard?

lastly, your running full width arent you?

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #172 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
How are you protecting the fluid coolers mounted in the RR wheel well?

Pete

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, 4L80 MT1, NP241, F&R D110 Salisburies
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 107373
Nice work RK, and nice scout.

Out of curiosity what's the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the frame rails? ~22" I'd guess.

Plug/RK, it does look like you could have ran a triangulated lowers and straight uppers on the outside of the frame. I ran my uppers on the inside of the frame rails. http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=100_5334.jpg

Plug, in order for your angled link to work you have to add a second location point at the front to keep it from moving side to side.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 21508
Very clean work Doug! Looks good, Ill swing by one of these days and check it out. Keep up the good work.

JP
Old 01-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
now, I know next to nothing about links, but could you not fit straight uppers and angle lowers in there? Center the lowers at the tcase output, and run straight lowers with your exhaust? And while we are on this subject, and at the risk of sounding like a total asshat, could you nut run the single upper with the same angled lowers, and if at 45 degrees, get rid of the panhard?

on a side note, do you have much rear steer with the panhard?

lastly, your running full width arent you?
Honestly, I'm not to good with links either. Didn't think to run it with the lowers angled and staight uppers. Ha ha, probably would have worked well. Oh well, this is what I have now, and it seems to handle well. Will have to see how it does on the rocks. Had plugged the numbers in the calculator before I started, and it said 9.5 degrees rear steer. The actual numbers I ended up with are diffent though, so I'll have to plug those in and see what it says. Yes, running full width 60's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.