anther 80 build - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #226 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
well, this is a lousy update, for no other reason than to try and motivate myself.

I deliberated over how to do the 'boatsides', and finally decided on this. I am not ready for a buggy yet, and want to be able to drive to the trails, bomob through snow/water, etc and not get soaking. This was really the only way without major floor changes, that I could mount the cage, and protect the tie ins. SOOOO, it will look like this with 4 lower tie ins like the two pictured below.

here is the pass flor board to go in, have a drivers just like it

and some bling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #227 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Damn you

This is why I will probably never finish what I am doing now .

That looks sweet............ Keep it up
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Looks good Damon, but what is that orange crap in the third pic. Just get rid of that, no I will just come and take it away so it's out of the area. I ment 4th pic.

Last edited by war pony; 12-18-2011 at 08:47 AM.
war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #229 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
whats the white star for?

Name:  ShermanTank.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  8.8 KB

Floor pans and rockers/boat side look good, don't forget to add a few strategic drain holes in your floor pans. I didn't, and after a recent rain storm. I had 4" of water sloshing around until I drilled a few drain holes. The plus side is that means the POR-15 and Al's Liner sealed it up well
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #230 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
I just stole your boat/rocker sides...Thanks!!!

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #231 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
you have to notch the floors just a bit, unless you go with something smaller han 2" square. About an inch up the rocker and 3" in the floor.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #232 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
you have to notch the floors just a bit, unless you go with something smaller han 2" square. About an inch up the rocker and 3" in the floor.
Hmmmm...would some 1-1/2 x 2 or 3 laid flat have saved any room from having to notch the floor you think?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #233 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
no, you will still have to notch. Oh, I have about an inch bodylift too.......

I had thought about putting some 2" tube "outriggers" that stuck out from the frame about 2", but wanted to save the clearance instead of the floor.

__/ /
____/

Last edited by plug ugly; 12-19-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #234 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
few new things.

had S/K bend up some more metal for me.
new rear deck lid made of 12g. Has some cross pieces underneath it will bolt to. Should make a weather 'proof' trunk when the tailgate goes back on.

New rear bulkhead made of 16g. This will sit right behind the back seat.

Last edited by plug ugly; 12-30-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #235 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
I just stole your boat/rocker sides...Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Hmmmm...would some 1-1/2 x 2 or 3 laid flat have saved any room from having to notch the floor you think?
Quote:
no, you will still have to notch. Oh, I have about an inch bodylift too.......

I had thought about putting some 2" tube "outriggers" that stuck out from the frame about 2", but wanted to save the clearance instead of the floor.

__/ /
____/
[Slight hijack]

HoS, how bad are your rockers now? Did you see how I did my mini-boatsides? I cut just below the door, and bolt on (through rocker and through floor). They don't tie into the frame, but they are plenty strong, similar to the bolt on sliders for jeeps.
Name:  PA211493.JPG
Views: 1451
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  PA201480.JPG
Views: 1444
Size:  24.7 KB

What if you run the support bars parallel to the floor like Mocha Mike's?
Name:  Rockers1.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 12-28-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #236 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
started on the drivers floor. Its a little bigger over all, but should add needed foot room for me.

I actually really like doing the floor. kinda geometry, math, and fab with some new techniques I read about to put the bends in this 12 gauge

Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #237 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Make sure you drill plenty of holes for water to drain out of. (It will fill up on Fordyce).
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #238 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I have never had water issues on Fordyce. We will see with this thing, maybe a lower stance, but with 42's, Its pretty tall no matter how little lift.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #239 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
few new things.

had S/K bend up some more metal for me.
new rear deck lid made of 12g. Has some cross pieces underneath it will bolt to. Should make a weather 'proof' trunk when the tailgate goes back on.
I am going to be doing something very, very similar to my rig when it comes time to work on that area. I really want something over the fuel cell to act as a shelf. I don't have a tail gate....so I am thinking of incorporating a *box* and shelf into one hinged thing-a-ma-jig to replace the tailgate. Keep spares etc. in it.

Yours should look pretty pimp when finished.

Why a bulkhead?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 46467
12 ga is not to bad to bend. I've used the cutoff wheel to make some slits in the past to make bending easier.
You have a shop press? They work great at bending stuff.

Where did you get those tall jack stands with the screw tops? I could sure use something like that.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #241 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
harbor freight ones cut down to this size.

The bulkhead was to seal it off to weather.

Last edited by plug ugly; 12-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 105834
The floor is looking good . You gona bend the edge for the tunnel?

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #243 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I dont think so. The plan is to do a 2 piece tunnel, a front raised half and a rear half at this 7" height for seat cage clearance. I have a clear picture in my head, just not sure what is going to fit and what isnt. The plan is for the tunnel itself to have a break that would come down the edge of the vertical sides of the floor.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 201355
Scout

Love the 800's, your build is great. I always made mudders from them here in Florida. What do you do for a living, your metal work is great? Now I am Jonesing to go get my Scout out of the woods and mess with it. I haven't seen it since about 1989. I know its still there just hate to see how bad it looks after sitting out that long with no roof. Keep it up and post more picks!
bearle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #245 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Figured I'd reply here, as not to hijack that other dude's thread completely.
Quote:
I need to look to see where your shifter is on the tranny Guido. mines right at the front lip of the stock tunnel cover, and I think a klune/205 combo is like an inch shorter than the 203/205 isnt it?
It came out pretty close to the stock location, I had to trim some for the shifter and for triple shifters anyway, so I made a trim panel. My Jed's 203/205 is ~19.5" from face to yoke, not sure what a Klune/205 is I'd guess it is few inches shorter.

Name:  PB151511.JPG
Views: 1677
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  PA081458.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  P6090023.JPG
Views: 1272
Size:  36.4 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #246 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
thanks. I went through your build last night, just didnt make any mention of it. How long is your rear shaft? I think my tranny is forward of yours by an inch or so (hard to tell exactly from pics). And I think Otherwise we should either be dead on (tranny's are the same AFAIK) or I might be an inch shorter. My shaft is short enough that I am limited in my pinion droop to 5" before the H in the cardan botoms out. Now, running gear height plays a factor as well, so I guess we could measure there also????????????? If we care enough I guess.

Anyway, thanks for following up.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #247 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Here is an old pic of my doubler set up. I have since removed the front 3/4" spacer with the ZF so its about 18.5 now

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #248 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
thanks. I went through your build last night, just didnt make any mention of it. How long is your rear shaft? I think my tranny is forward of yours by an inch or so (hard to tell exactly from pics). And I think Otherwise we should either be dead on (tranny's are the same AFAIK) or I might be an inch shorter. My shaft is short enough that I am limited in my pinion droop to 5" before the H in the cardan botoms out. Now, running gear height plays a factor as well, so I guess we could measure there also????????????? If we care enough I guess.

Anyway, thanks for following up.
I might have more details in my build over on JustIH, I have more pics there of the build than I do here.

My rear 'shaft is ~20" at ride height, not sure what the angle is but it's not severe, BUT your drivetrain is mounted a bit higher than mine. My 205 hangs down about 3" below the frame rail and the rear output is tilted down a bit to help with rear driveshaft angle.

Name:  P6180095.JPG
Views: 1220
Size:  38.3 KB

It looks like it hangs down a lot, but it's less than 3" (still need to finish my skid)

Name:  P6180094.JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  30.9 KB

Sorry, I don't have a great pic of my rear driveshaft angle handy.

Name:  PB171521.JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  32.9 KB

Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #249 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Yeah, thats a big difference. You seem to have a lot less lift than I do also. The bottom of my frame rails is 24.5"

Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #250 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Got a little time in the garage. here are some in progress pics

Got the new bulkhead mocked in. Still need to finish welding

Weld flange is on the back side

the rear deck lid fits over the new bulkhead

Cut 22" out of the rear inner fenders. Gives a lot more foot room for my kids and should make for a better B pillar cage mount

Also gives a lot room for the front eat to move back some

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.