anther 80 build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #76 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
that pic is actually about 3" over what ride height should be, but ill be taking the fenders up about 4" so the fender clearance is close, just not the frame height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
Its gonna be a big bitch

I like the "AIR LOCKRS" . Looks good

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #78 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
best part was the price, I got a screaming deal.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 105834
So any thoughts on the foot well in the bed area? After talking with you on Sunday ,I revisited that idea for my rig. I do think it would make a more comfortable seating arrangement.

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #80 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
yeah Dan, its a great idea, but is way down the line. IF I can raise the seat two inches, then I may not and use that as fuel tank/ upper link space. Im a ways out on that, and it will depend primarily on head room with the kiddie seats in the back.

thanks again for letting me check out your progress.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #81 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Will this be ready by Spring/Summer?

I hope so Damon, you need to wheel it.!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #82 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
honestly? no, probably not. Id really like it to be, but I just finally pulled the motor and axles out of the donor rig, and slung them over to the scout. With the two boys you met, I have limited free time. Im really hoping though.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
still seems to high to me, since I want to cut the fenders about 4" up. Im running into fitment issues with radius arms/panhard and steering. This is still totally mock up, but you know how it goes, you start getting close, and just want to see it.

This is a frame height of 26.5", tire height of 40.25 (unloaded, so maybe 39.5 loaded?) and really tall to step up to at 6'3".

any thoughts? Too tall? The rear is not set at ride height.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #84 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Visually, the frame height looks ok, it's the body lift.
Lower the body... Cut out the inner fenders.
Tube the engine bay.
You will have to trim the front corners, possibly cutting out the blinkers...

I just measured my frame height.. It's ball parka because The front is on jack stands....

Frame is roughly 23"-24" @ lowest, front bumper about 33"-35".

I'm on newish 37" Bfgs (true height I think).

You've scene my rig, so you know how it sits (my front left spring was bent at the rallye, so the left is lower).
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #85 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
if you r tires are trun to height, my frame is only an inch at best off, which would prolly settle down with engine/body weight, etc. Im 1.5" radius taller than you, which would be 25.5. So Im a n inch and a 2" body lift, whcih I think I need for the doubler set up and flat ford 205? If I can ditch the BL I will, but that requires eliminating the new body mounts and moving them down.

The other decieving factor is the "mini" boatside. I think yours and rkscouts are still normal rockers right?

is it too much front push?

Last edited by plug ugly; 01-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #86 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
The other deceiving factor is the "mini" boatside. I think yours and rkscouts are still normal rockers right?

I cut my rockers by 1/2.... the bottom of the rockers are parallel to the floor.
I think it was the pictures/deceiving....

My rocker guards are supported by 2x4s which are on top of my frame.
body is bolted to a plate off of them, so figure my tub/drivers compartment floor is 1.75"-2" above the frame rail.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t/DCP_3525.jpg

Are you pinching the nose?
If not, you will have to either stretch it like you did in the rear (do you have another Scout?), or trim it.
Look back a page in your build of the 80 pulling the truck out of the water.
Look at the front left trim.

I've been seriously considering cutting the bottom of that front fenders out & making a blinker mount on top of the bumper.

EDIT: Yes, personally, I think you stretched it too far (but that's just me).
I wheel with a lot of Toyota guys (short & long bed guys). Overall, I think my wheelbase is better.
Sure, there are some things they get over a bit easier than me, but it's like a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio (they have 3 or 4 issues on other obstacles for my 1).
Either that, or I just pick better lines.

Last edited by MochaMike; 01-13-2011 at 09:02 PM.
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #87 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Ill pinch and cut at this point.

What size tire are your toy buddies on? Ive been wheeling 42's with 110" wb for years. This will be 113, so not a huge difference. I rarely have an issue making an obstacle. A lot of it is konwing your rig (this will be new), and the other part is just paying attention to your lines.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #88 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
35-37s.

But some of the Jeep guys use logs...
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...0/P1000135.jpg

I don't envy your challenge.
I've noticed that once you get over 39.5s, you pretty much end up in buggy territory.... (IE building a frame & buggy, suspension, then skins).
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #89 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
like i said, ive been wheeling 42's for a few years on a much bigger rig, so this thing does feel very 'buggy' like.

does this help put a perspective on it at all? I know its a little too close, and the camera angle is too low......

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Quote:
if you r tires are trun to height, my frame is only an inch at best off, which would prolly settle down with engine/body weight, etc. Im 1.5" radius taller than you, which would be 25.5. So Im a n inch and a 2" body lift, whcih I think I need for the doubler set up and flat ford 205? If I can ditch the BL I will, but that requires eliminating the new body mounts and moving them down.

The other decieving factor is the "mini" boatside. I think yours and rkscouts are still normal rockers right?

Hey Damon, I'll try and get some pics for you this weekend. My rockers are trimmed even with the bottom of the floor. I think I took out 3"s from the bottom if I remember right. Here's some older pics I had. First was on leaves, second, linked. Same frame height.
Attached Images

Last edited by rkscout; 01-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #91 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
frames at 25.25 now (the rear is an inch higher, but the springs will flatten once I put a floor, fuel tank, cage etc, so I think its about right. Roof seems to be at 84" or really close, might actually fit into the garage now.

Working on motor mounts. I had the poly motor mounts from a bronco vendor, figured this would be an easy way to mount it to the frame, and then run a hoop underneath, prolly also made of square.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #92 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
working on putting the motor in. This is the first time I have done abuild of this magnitude. Im getting a little overwhelmed. I know I want it back as far as possible, and low as possible, but what sacrifices are necessary? The crank is at 35" in these pics, and Im changing headers to allow me to push it back some. Id rather not cut the fire wall, but I may have to.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 46467
WOW looks good. Those are some nice tight headers, but you have some that drop even more before the fire wall.

35" crank, humm I guess I don't remember what mine is at. Scout dude had a post on it a few years back if you want to see what everyone is running.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=crank

Last edited by R290; 01-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 107373
The motor looks really low, is the tranny pan lower than the frame rails?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #95 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
My motor mounts are parallel with the bottom of the frame. (see pix)

However, my engine is stuffed way back in there, further than yours can be. This is because I have Rams Head headers... With your headers it will be more forward...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t/IMG_3873.jpg

Here are all the photos of my work...
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/mochamike/Scout/
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #96 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I have a manual, so no pan. The pto points are just below the rame, but the rest of the tranny is well above the bottom of the frame. I wanted to keep it as low as posible, but will likely raise it another inch or so. Was thinking I would try and mount the square tube just like yours mike, but didnt want to go to high.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
VERY cool build.

I vote push that motor back as far as you can. Dont be afraid to cut the firewall. Its easy to patch

Quote:
Dont let the haters get you down, alexray55!!! I would rather see ten homebrew rigs built with ingenuity and sweat than ten rigs built with a checkbook or credit card.
ChestonScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #98 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
im not afraid of the metal work, more so of losing the foot room and getting "hot" foot. Im 6'3" and that foot well is TINY compared to my last fullsize rig.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #99 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/25-Inc...olds,9133.html

These would allow you to move it back another 2-6".
However to install/remove them you'd have to slide them in w/bolts inside then tighten them down.
Your dizzy would also hit the heater vent if you were to try & remove it (it fits under fine, just need to remove the vent if you want to pull the Dizzy).

Just took some pix....

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t/IMG_4535.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t/IMG_4533.jpg
Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #100 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
Ive got a ford motor, no dizzy hitting anything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.