Pirate 4x4 banner

Guido's 1965 Scout 80

162K views 303 replies 69 participants last post by  bk2life 
#1 · (Edited)
Guido's 1965 Scout 80 + 7.3L PSD

Alright fawkers:flipoff2: I've had my Scout since July 2006, it started off as a simple frame on restification to get it driving, then the project creep began, fixed a bunch of rust, swapped axles, power steering, disc brakes, etc. Nuthin' really Pirate worthy.

I've only driven it three times, once into the garage, once onto the trailer and once off the trailer. :laughing: Although, that's 3 more times than Brandon's driven his:flipoff2: looks like he's on the home stretch now though.

For me, it's rare to have the holy trinity (time, money, and motivation), but with a nice tax refund from Uncle Sugar the planets aligned and I stumbled across a wrecked 4x4 1996 F250 7.3L International PSD, ZF 5 speed :idea:

If the guys at Petersen's 4WOR can stuff a Cummins 6BT into a Jeep I can get a 7.3 PSD in my Scout with some slight firewall mods:grinpimp:

Can you guys help me?:flipoff2:

7.3/ZF 5 speed/203/205 10b/14FF yeah, yeah 10bolt sucks but it's what I got for now.

Vehicle Auto part Car Hood Engine

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

See less See more
#154 · (Edited)
WoooHooo. I found a D60F. :grinpimp: Went and looked at it today. DRW/w 4.10s (which is the ratio I need) The guy has a set of SRW hubs that he'll swap. :flipoff2:
I should pick it up after Christmas.

#156 ·
It will be a happy Guido, too. I won't cringe everytime it's in 4WD waiting for something to go :nuke:

I figure I'll have a better chance selling the 10 bolt if it's still in one piece.
:laughing:

#157 · (Edited)
Happy New Year!

The Good News: Well, last week the Scout arrived in Hawaii and I got it over to the new Casa de Lyons. I guess I did pretty well on my front end alignment and caster, as it's maiden voyage I drove it ~30 miles from the port to my house.

While not a white knuckle ride, it was pretty nerve wracking, not knowing if it was going to make it. After all, I had only driven it around the block once before it was loaded up to ship.
It did fine up to 55mph, then I started to get some body sway. I think I'll adjust the shocks (Rancho RS9000XL have 9 positions of adjustment) and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll hit the junkyard for some sway bars.

The AirSoft BBs did great to balance the tires, and it didn't overheat or burst into flames, so that was a big plus :D

I'll be picking up my D60F after the New Year.:grinpimp:

The Bad News: Boy, have I got a bone to pick with the trucking company that picked up the Scout. As I was going through the inspection with the guys at the dock, I noticed a HUGE problem with my hood. At first I thought something had been dropped on it or someone stood on the hood, but after a closer look, it was obvious that the hood came unlatched and smashed into the top of the windshield.:mad3:

The only time the Scout had EVER been going fast enough for that to happen had to be in I-35N going to Dallas.
The shipping documents show that there was a large dent in the hood when it was delivered to Dallas for shipment. So obviously, it was damaged between Corpus Christi and Dallas, not between Dallas and Honolulu.

The latch at the top of the windshield is bent, and there is a larger crease across the center of the hood, and the hinge on the passenger side is broken.

As happy as I was that the Scout made it here....I am madder than a wet chicken right now.
I'm going to contact the trucking company and see what they plan on doing to compensate me...but I have a bad feeling about getting any $$$ out of them.

I'm sure I'll be able to get it straightened out, but it pisses me off that the guy didn't even tell me about it. I mean I know the Scout is rough around the edges and will never get 1st place at the "Show and Shine" but I guess I'll add that to the body work I need to do before I can paint it.

The Auto Skills Center here has a paint booth, so I'm going to paint it myself, eventually.

If I can get a hinge, I think I can get the hood reasonably straight again.

#158 ·
Dude, I looked at your pictures before i read your post. My first thought was "how did he get his hood to open so far? I did that any my hinge broke." That sucks, i hope someone will fess up and you dont get screwed on this one.

I have that exact hood, I'd give it to you if you arrange the ride. A few of the bolts snapped at the hinge, but would probably come out with an EZ-out. Same color too

#159 · (Edited)
Yeah well...thanks for the offer, but I think $hipping to Hawaii might kinda be a little on the expensive side. :laughing:

*edit* might still be cheaper than getting the hood fixed at a body shop, though. Might be an option if the trucking company screws me.

My hood opened that far before it was broken, when I was working on the engine swap, I put the hood up and latched it to the windshield.

#160 ·
Well...I finally got my D60F :grinpimp: and drug it home on Saturday. It's DRW, but I pulled a set of SRW hubs off anothe D60 that he had. It will be a bit before I swing it under the Scout, (I need to order high steer arms) but when I do, it *should* bolt right in.

#163 ·
Nothing, yet. Even if I get an estimate from a body shop, I doubt I'll see any restitution from the trucking company.

Make sure you take some pics of that dana 60 install, and try to include some hula dancers.:D
:grinpimp: Hula Girls... I wish...

Sorry, I don't have the mad skillz of Dan Dibble :flipoff2:

#165 ·
Not really, I still have to get it inspected here and wanted to at least get the hood hinge fixed before I did that. I've been really busy at work and haven't had time to take it in and get all the paperwork done. I *hope* to get it inpected in the next week and start driving.

#166 · (Edited)
Well, I got a new hinge for the hood, so now it closes properly, although it still has a big dent in it, I've got other things to sort out before I worry about the fixing the hood.

I failed inspection (I knew I would fail unless the guy was blind in both eyes, but I neded to find out EXACTLY what I needed to fix)... for those of you that don't know, Hawaii, the island of Oahu specifically, has some pretty crazy vehicle code/law. In addition to a standard yearly safety inspection, if you have a modified vehicle you have to pass a reconstruction "recon" inspection. The recon inspection is a one time inspection (assuming you don't make any other mods). There's only one place in Honolulu that does the inspection, and I need to fix a few more things before I go in for that. I have to show proof of alignment, and a bunch of other junk.

The biggest thing I need to fix is my fender flares don't cover the tire and I have to have mudflaps, too.

I mocked up the Wild Horses Bronco flares that I bought last year (before I found out I was coming to Hawaii) to see how they would look and where I needed to trim. I ordered a larger set of flares that I *hope* will get me through the recon inspection.
I think the Bronco flares look pretty good...now non-IHer's will REALLY think it's a Bronco :laughing:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Jeep

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

#167 ·
I also swapped out the DRW hubs for SRW hubs on my D60. Once I get my High steer arms from Ballistic Fab, I'll go ahead and swap in the D60 before I get my alignment to pass recon inspection.

I replaced the bearings and hub seal while I was in there, the old bearings were shot.

Auto part Machine tool Engine Toolroom Machine

Auto part Tool accessory Engine Automotive super charger part Metal

Auto part Tool accessory Rotor Locking hubs

Auto part Tool accessory Rotor

#169 ·
Maui doesn't have the recon inspection...just Oahu :flipoff2:

#172 ·
Good Idea! Why didn't I think of that:flipoff2::laughing:

Hey Guidolyons, Nice Bronco :flipoff2: Good to see that 60 is going in, hope the DMV thing works out.
Thanks Dan, your Bronco ain't too bad either:flipoff2:

#174 ·
Yeah, I need some pontoons, propeller, and a rudder!

I got my wider fender flares mounted, but I am STILL waiting on some parts from Ballistic Fab so I can finish putting the D60 in, get an alignment, and hopefully I can get an appointment and pass inspection.

#177 ·
If Dan sold D60 high steer arms, I'd already have them, that's for sure. I have a bunch of parts from Dan (diff covers, spring hangers, etc) and Ruff Stuff is top-notch, with quick, cheap shipping (it's amazing how much Dan can cram in a flat rate USPS box).

I bought parts from Ballistic in the past and had great parts/service...but now... not so much. I'm 2 months behind now.:mad3:

I got the fenders cut with the new wider flares, added mud flaps, and a few other odds and ends.

Once I get the steering parts, I should finish the D60 swap, get an alignment, and get my inspection... hopefully.

#179 ·
Yeah... I was checking WFO, Poly Perf, Parts Mike out last night, I'm going to give Ballistic a chance to fix it, but if it doesn't get resolved soon, I'm ordering from somebody that has stock on hand can deliver riki-tik.

#180 ·
All right, well... I have made some progress, but I've been delayed getting the D60 swap done since I'm waiting on some hi-steer parts from Ballistic Fab :mad::mad: but I did make some progress in the fender flare department. The original Wild Horses Gorilla flares I got only add about 2.5" of tire coverage, and in order to pass the reconstruction inspection in Oahu :mad: :mad: I need to cover the tires and add mud flaps. So I ordered up the Wild Horses Silverback Flares which cover about 4"-4.5" which covers the rear great, and I'll probably have to get creative to pass on the front, but it's a lot better. The mud flaps look stupid...but it's better than getting a ticket.

Scout purists, turn your eyes away. Aw who am I kidding, those guys fainted and quit reading a long time ago. The smaller Gorilla flares fit a little better than the larger Silverback flares. They are super tough and flexible, I tried to follow the Scout fender lines, and I think they look pretty damn good.:grinpimp:

#182 ·
I upgraded the rear tail lights with some 4" LED lights, but the grommet wouldn't fit with out enlarging the hole, so I used a few wraps of electrical tape to snug of the fit and shoved it in the hole to get it shipped over. I didn't like the unfinished look and I didn't want to enlarge the hole to fit the grommet.

A few days ago, I was looking at my old cracked lenses and realized that there was a lip on the lens that was the same size as the LED tail light. After a few measurements, I used a flush trim router bit to cut the center out of the lens and a few drops of super glue around the circumference and now I have stock looking LED tail light.

It took about 5 minutes to do. I need to take some pics with them lit up.

#186 ·
Not really, the fronts fit great, the last ~8" of the rear fender flare has a bump out for the Ford body line, I just used a strip I cut off a mud flap as a spacer/filler strip. The smaller flares that I mocked up first could just be screwed in with out distorting too much, but the larger flares twisted too much, so I added the filler strip and it came out pretty well IMHO.

Leave them out in the sun to get warm and they get pretty flexible, I used a heat gun to form the bottom edge where they overlapped on the rock slider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.