Guido's 1965 Scout 80 - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #151 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
That sucks dude, hang in there. Good luck on the job search.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #152 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 73602
Good looking build,will be watching for more pics.Only recently noticed you just got back from Iraq. Welcome home! I was there in 04.
mountainguyed67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #153 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
So I was going back through my pics and found a few that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Hey Mechanos, I finally got around to fixing my caster angle on the front.

When I first swapped in the 10 bolt, I had mounted the front of the springs just under the bumper, as I didn't want big fangs sticking down and killing my approach angle. Unfortunately, that gave me about 14* positive caster (top of knuckle tilted back) which wasn't a big deal when it was sitting on jack stands
I ordered 7* STEEL caster shims from DIY4X but when I finally got around to putting the shims in... springs hit the tie rod I tried taking out the overload, nope. Still hit.

So... I ended up cutting off the spring hangers and making new ones. I used some extra 3/8" shackles from Ruff Stuff, 3"x.250 square tubing, and some 3/16" flat stock. The angled piece is part if the original spring hanger. I still need to add some gussets, but I don't think they are going anywhere. I dropped the front mounting holes down about 3.5" which gave me a MUCH better caster angle and leveled out my springs.

I haven't measured it yet, but it looks like it will be good, and I shouldn't have to do a cut and turn. Which is good becasue I don't plan on keeping the 10 bolt anyway...

I might have a lead on a D60::

Old 12-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #154 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
WoooHooo. I found a D60F. Went and looked at it today. DRW/w 4.10s (which is the ratio I need) The guy has a set of SRW hubs that he'll swap.
I should pick it up after Christmas.

Last edited by guidolyons; 12-11-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
WoooHooo. I found a D60F. Went and looked at it today. DRW/w 4.10s (which is the ratio I need) The guy has a set of SRW hubs that he'll swap.
I should pick it up after Christmas.
Nice get, good on you. That will be a happy 7.3 now.

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #156 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
It will be a happy Guido, too. I won't cringe everytime it's in 4WD waiting for something to go

I figure I'll have a better chance selling the 10 bolt if it's still in one piece.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #157 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Happy New Year!

The Good News: Well, last week the Scout arrived in Hawaii and I got it over to the new Casa de Lyons. I guess I did pretty well on my front end alignment and caster, as it's maiden voyage I drove it ~30 miles from the port to my house.

While not a white knuckle ride, it was pretty nerve wracking, not knowing if it was going to make it. After all, I had only driven it around the block once before it was loaded up to ship.
It did fine up to 55mph, then I started to get some body sway. I think I'll adjust the shocks (Rancho RS9000XL have 9 positions of adjustment) and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll hit the junkyard for some sway bars.

The AirSoft BBs did great to balance the tires, and it didn't overheat or burst into flames, so that was a big plus

I'll be picking up my D60F after the New Year.

The Bad News: Boy, have I got a bone to pick with the trucking company that picked up the Scout. As I was going through the inspection with the guys at the dock, I noticed a HUGE problem with my hood. At first I thought something had been dropped on it or someone stood on the hood, but after a closer look, it was obvious that the hood came unlatched and smashed into the top of the windshield.

The only time the Scout had EVER been going fast enough for that to happen had to be in I-35N going to Dallas.
The shipping documents show that there was a large dent in the hood when it was delivered to Dallas for shipment. So obviously, it was damaged between Corpus Christi and Dallas, not between Dallas and Honolulu.

The latch at the top of the windshield is bent, and there is a larger crease across the center of the hood, and the hinge on the passenger side is broken.

As happy as I was that the Scout made it here....I am madder than a wet chicken right now.
I'm going to contact the trucking company and see what they plan on doing to compensate me...but I have a bad feeling about getting any $$$ out of them.

I'm sure I'll be able to get it straightened out, but it pisses me off that the guy didn't even tell me about it. I mean I know the Scout is rough around the edges and will never get 1st place at the "Show and Shine" but I guess I'll add that to the body work I need to do before I can paint it.

The Auto Skills Center here has a paint booth, so I'm going to paint it myself, eventually.

If I can get a hinge, I think I can get the hood reasonably straight again.

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #158 (permalink)
That guy

Member # 144281
Dude, I looked at your pictures before i read your post. My first thought was "how did he get his hood to open so far? I did that any my hinge broke." That sucks, i hope someone will fess up and you dont get screwed on this one.

I have that exact hood, I'd give it to you if you arrange the ride. A few of the bolts snapped at the hinge, but would probably come out with an EZ-out. Same color too
wesfab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #159 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Yeah well...thanks for the offer, but I think $hipping to Hawaii might kinda be a little on the expensive side.

*edit* might still be cheaper than getting the hood fixed at a body shop, though. Might be an option if the trucking company screws me.

My hood opened that far before it was broken, when I was working on the engine swap, I put the hood up and latched it to the windshield.

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #160 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Well...I finally got my D60F and drug it home on Saturday. It's DRW, but I pulled a set of SRW hubs off anothe D60 that he had. It will be a bit before I swing it under the Scout, (I need to order high steer arms) but when I do, it *should* bolt right in.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 99619
So, what ever happened with the trucking company?
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Make sure you take some pics of that dana 60 install, and try to include some hula dancers.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #163 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAbuzer View Post
So, what ever happened with the trucking company?
Nothing, yet. Even if I get an estimate from a body shop, I doubt I'll see any restitution from the trucking company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by war pony View Post
Make sure you take some pics of that dana 60 install, and try to include some hula dancers.
Hula Girls... I wish...

Sorry, I don't have the mad skillz of Dan Dibble

Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 140257
Guido, since the 30 mile trip have you been driving the scout around on that island?
Drew Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #165 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Not really, I still have to get it inspected here and wanted to at least get the hood hinge fixed before I did that. I've been really busy at work and haven't had time to take it in and get all the paperwork done. I *hope* to get it inpected in the next week and start driving.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #166 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Well, I got a new hinge for the hood, so now it closes properly, although it still has a big dent in it, I've got other things to sort out before I worry about the fixing the hood.

I failed inspection (I knew I would fail unless the guy was blind in both eyes, but I neded to find out EXACTLY what I needed to fix)... for those of you that don't know, Hawaii, the island of Oahu specifically, has some pretty crazy vehicle code/law. In addition to a standard yearly safety inspection, if you have a modified vehicle you have to pass a reconstruction "recon" inspection. The recon inspection is a one time inspection (assuming you don't make any other mods). There's only one place in Honolulu that does the inspection, and I need to fix a few more things before I go in for that. I have to show proof of alignment, and a bunch of other junk.

The biggest thing I need to fix is my fender flares don't cover the tire and I have to have mudflaps, too.

I mocked up the Wild Horses Bronco flares that I bought last year (before I found out I was coming to Hawaii) to see how they would look and where I needed to trim. I ordered a larger set of flares that I *hope* will get me through the recon inspection.
I think the Bronco flares look pretty good...now non-IHer's will REALLY think it's a Bronco

Name:  PIC-0134.jpg
Views: 4274
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  PIC-0135.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  PIC-0136.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  35.7 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 03-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #167 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
I also swapped out the DRW hubs for SRW hubs on my D60. Once I get my High steer arms from Ballistic Fab, I'll go ahead and swap in the D60 before I get my alignment to pass recon inspection.

I replaced the bearings and hub seal while I was in there, the old bearings were shot.

Name:  PIC-0132.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  PIC-0133.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  PIC-0138.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  PIC-0139.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #168 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
That's strange. I'd ask around a bit.

My buddy just moved back here after 5 years in Maui.
He says the DMV & the Cops on Maui use the word "braaau" every other word.
As long as your not drunk or stoned, they could care less.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #169 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
That's strange. I'd ask around a bit.

My buddy just moved back here after 5 years in Maui.
He says the DMV & the Cops on Maui use the word "braaau" every other word.
As long as your not drunk or stoned, they could care less.
Maui doesn't have the recon inspection...just Oahu

Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #170 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Take it to Maui...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Hey Guidolyons, Nice Bronco Good to see that 60 is going in, hope the DMV thing works out.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #172 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
Take it to Maui...

Good Idea! Why didn't I think of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by war pony View Post
Hey Guidolyons, Nice Bronco Good to see that 60 is going in, hope the DMV thing works out.
Thanks Dan, your Bronco ain't too bad either

Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 146853
Maui has some good trails, and the cops over here are cool about the trucks on the road .... oahu is another story. and we do not have recon here thank God
solidmaui78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #174 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Yeah, I need some pontoons, propeller, and a rudder!

I got my wider fender flares mounted, but I am STILL waiting on some parts from Ballistic Fab so I can finish putting the D60 in, get an alignment, and hopefully I can get an appointment and pass inspection.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #175 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Should have called Ruff Stuff...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.