Pirate 4x4 banner

Guido's 1965 Scout 80

162K views 303 replies 69 participants last post by  bk2life 
#1 · (Edited)
Guido's 1965 Scout 80 + 7.3L PSD

Alright fawkers:flipoff2: I've had my Scout since July 2006, it started off as a simple frame on restification to get it driving, then the project creep began, fixed a bunch of rust, swapped axles, power steering, disc brakes, etc. Nuthin' really Pirate worthy.

I've only driven it three times, once into the garage, once onto the trailer and once off the trailer. :laughing: Although, that's 3 more times than Brandon's driven his:flipoff2: looks like he's on the home stretch now though.

For me, it's rare to have the holy trinity (time, money, and motivation), but with a nice tax refund from Uncle Sugar the planets aligned and I stumbled across a wrecked 4x4 1996 F250 7.3L International PSD, ZF 5 speed :idea:

If the guys at Petersen's 4WOR can stuff a Cummins 6BT into a Jeep I can get a 7.3 PSD in my Scout with some slight firewall mods:grinpimp:

Can you guys help me?:flipoff2:

7.3/ZF 5 speed/203/205 10b/14FF yeah, yeah 10bolt sucks but it's what I got for now.

Vehicle Auto part Car Hood Engine

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

See less See more
#188 ·
I've made some pretty good progress over the last few months, I was gone to Ft Bragg, NC for most of June for work. The end of May, I got my Dana 60 front installed, finished up the fender flares, and a few other odds and ends. When I got back from Ft Bragg, I pulled the hard top and installed a bikini top, now the Scout is ready for summer! I took the Scout over to the alignment shop friday morning, it was great to drive. :grinpimp:

I finally got an appointment for my recon inspection on July 18th, wish me luck! Once that's done, I'll be legal...
(Disregard the lawn edging added to the fender flares...it's temporary)

Then off to get painted :cool:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-road vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Sport utility vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Tread

Red Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Hardtop Windshield

#190 · (Edited)
After 5 years (and three moves across the country and a 14 month deployment), the Scout is legal :grinpimp:

Font Sticker Bumper sticker Automotive exterior Label

I still have some cosmetic issues and a little odds and ends to sort out *front driveshaft, sway bars, paint but I've been driving it :grinpimp:

July 2006:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Hardtop

July 2011:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-road vehicle

#194 ·
So after driving the Scout all last week, :grinpimp: my Autometer gauges are working great, but the Ford cluster is still not working :mad: It's about 13-14 miles each way to work, and rough guess on MPG is ~17-18mpg, I'd like to break 20MPG. Original F250 gearing was 3.55 w/~29" tire, I have 4.10s and 37's so it's geared pretty low.

I did have some body sway issues, the rear Bronco II springs were really soft. I added 3 additional leaves from a Ford Ranger, and that seemed to help. I also ordered up a set of Currie Anti-Rock Swaybars. I got the rear one installed and it made a significant improvement to reduce body sway/lean/roll.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system Engine Automotive exterior

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Pipe

Transport Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Auto part

#195 ·
I am way behind on updates...So I got the Scout painted back in September:

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Jeep

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

#196 ·
Few more:

Hood stripe and tailgate lettering from Mike Moore @ ScoutCo Products:grinpimp:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood

Oh yeah Santa delivered early :grinpimp: New PRP Seats
Car seat Car seat cover Car Vehicle Family car

#204 ·
Kinda hard to go 'wheelin' from Afghanistan :flipoff2:

There's only a few places you can legally go off road on Oahu, although they did open an off road park just before I left, and there is another spot run by Department of Land and Natural Resources that you can go with a permit. There's a local Jeep club that sponsors trail rides, when I get back I'm going to try and hook up with them.

#206 ·
Thanks! :usa:

I got back home a week ago. It's good to be back home. The Scout fired right up after sitting on jackstands for a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.