Guido's 1965 Scout 80 - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 204783
That's gorgeous (except the lines on the rear arches, but they're hidden by the flares). Can we see the interior?
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #202 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 161326
Guido, are you ever going to wheel it or just use it as a conversation piece I dig the stripes on the hood though
76 1 TON Traveler, TBI 350, 700r4, d300 w/ 4-1, 32 spline, D60 front OX 5.86, D70hd rear Detroit 5.86, HS9500I, 4 link rear,SOA, R.S,High steer and ram assist. 40x1350x17 Creepy Crawlers, daily driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZ Scout Guy; 04-28-2012 at 06:55 PM.
AZ Scout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #203 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Scout Guy View Post
Guido, are you ever going to wheel it or just use it as a conversation piece I dig the stripes on the hood though
I was wondering the same thing Maybe he is like Csmith, wheel, wash,buff repeat looks great Guido
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #204 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Kinda hard to go 'wheelin' from Afghanistan

There's only a few places you can legally go off road on Oahu, although they did open an off road park just before I left, and there is another spot run by Department of Land and Natural Resources that you can go with a permit. There's a local Jeep club that sponsors trail rides, when I get back I'm going to try and hook up with them.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 235371
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Kinda hard to go 'wheelin' from Afghanistan

There's only a few places you can legally go off road on Oahu, although they did open an off road park just before I left, and there is another spot run by Department of Land and Natural Resources that you can go with a permit. There's a local Jeep club that sponsors trail rides, when I get back I'm going to try and hook up with them.

Bravissimo Guido, be safe and come back in one piece man. Very nice work.
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #206 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Thanks!

I got back home a week ago. It's good to be back home. The Scout fired right up after sitting on jackstands for a year.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 159101
Thanks for your service . Must feel good to fire the ol' girl up . Any plans/mods in mind for the future...?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 51801
Welcome home!!Thank you.
X2 on the Plans/projects on the Scout?

Last edited by rgwestra; 01-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.
rgwestra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Welcome Home Guido! Thank you for your service. Now get that Scout dirty already.
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #210 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
welcome home. Now go down to the beach and take some pictures of hot chicks in bikinis. Screw the scout.

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Welcome home and thank you

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Welcome home Guido, Thanks to you and all that serve.

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #213 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
OK so I am a little behind on updates.

This is an update from September 2013 ago that I forgot to post:

My master cylinder started leaking out the bore. After a thorough search of local parts stores and even tried Rock Auto, it seem that the '78 Grand Marquis master cylinder I was using was discontinued. I ordered one from Rock Auto but when it arrived, it did not match the picture on line (two large reservoirs, disc/disc) had one large and one small reservoir (disc/drum) After numerous emails to Rock Auto and Dorman tech support I sent it back. Both said, "Oh yes it's the correct part even though it doesn't match the picture on the website" So I paid shipping both ways for the wrong part. I doubt I will ever order from Rock Auto again.

I've been pretty happy with the Grand Marquis MC, it bolted right in the stock location, 1.125" bore. Ports on the passenger side made plumbing easy.

My next choice was master cylinder for a 1970 Corvette 4 wheel disc brakes. Two large reservoirs, 1.125" (power brake) or 1" bore for manual brakes.

I opted for the 1" bore since I don't have a booster. That should give me ~25% more pressure with a slight increase in pedal travel and decrease in pedal effort. The ports are on the driver's side, so I had make 2 new lines to replumb.

I read on line that the rear port goes to the front brakes and the front port goes to the rear. So that's how I re-plumbed. WRONG!

The ports are different sizes, 1/2 up front and 9/16 on the rear port. When I bench bled the MC, I noticed the front reservoir is slightly larger and is the first to activate/move fluid. I had to rebend and reflare to swap lines. Front port goes to the front and rear port goes to the rear.

That green coated brake line from Oreilly is the DEVIL! It took forever to get a good flare. I've flared a bunch of brake lines, and this stuff kicked my ass.

I tried my new Phoenix reverse bleeder with mixed results. It seemed to work OK on the rear calipers, but the front calipers it just leaked out the bleeder threads, so I re-bled them old school with my wife pushing the pedal a some tubing and a jar. I got it all installed and bled and it feels pretty good. I like the new pedal feel, not quite as firm, I may still have an air bubble. After the first pump, the pedal firms up nicely, so I think I still have an air bubble. Hopefully I can bleed again and get a nice firm pedal.

Name:  IMG_1124a.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1125a.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  98.5 KB

There are a few other differences also, the mounting holes are a bit wider on the Vetter MC (Grand MArquis is~ 3.25" Vette is 3.4") so I had to pop off one of the welded nuts and enlarge the hole a bit. Also I had to lengthen the push rod ~3/16".

There are a few other differences also, the mounting holes are a bit wider on the Vetter MC (Grand MArquis is~ 3.25" Vette is 3.4") so I had to pop off one of the welded nuts and enlarge the hole a bit. Also I had to lengthen the push rod ~3/16".

Name:  IMG_1134a.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1135a.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  44.7 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-16-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #214 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
OK I'm a bit behind, so here's a few updates:

A few cosmetic updates, added an aluminum diamond tread door insert, I was going to originally do the whole door panel in diamond tread, but decided to stick with a few accent pieces.
Name:  IMG_1637a.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  56.5 KB

One of my tailgate cables broke...so I made some new ones with some parts from the local boat shop. 3/16" stainless steel cable, stainless swivel and a snap link, added some heatshrink to protect the paint.

Name:  IMG_1682b.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-16-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #215 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
So...while I was working on my doors for the insert, I noticed that two of my door hinges were cracked (the barrel where the pin goes through) A while back I drove out the stock pins and replaced with stainless bolts, I'm not sure if that's why they cracked, or if they would have cracked anyway.

I was going to make my own hinges, but after I came home with $100 worth of pins, bushings, and steel, decided I would be time and money ahead to order a set of replacement lift off hinges from Jayson at Canyon Offroad. While the price may seem a bit high...it's cheaper than a stock set, saved me a bunch of time, and these hinges are super nice, big, beefy, and bolted right on.

First I had to get rid of the stock hinges, of course the top set came right out, but the bottom ones are of course stuck fast since the bolts get all the mud, salt, and road grime. After I drilled the heads out, dropped an nut down on the stub gave them a shot of the MIG welder. Spray your favorite penetrating oil on and they will come right out. Works like a champ on these old rusted bolts.

Name:  IMG_1739a.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  56.2 KB

New hinges from Jayson at Canyon Offroad:

Name:  IMG_1737a.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1736a.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  36.6 KB

The fit on these hinges is soooo nice. I sprayed them with my favorite Rustoleum Hammered black spray paint. The tolerance on the pins is so close that I had to scrape the paint off the pins to get the hinges to fit back together and hang the door properly.

Here they are installed:

Name:  20140803_171307a.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  20140803_171342a.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  29.1 KB

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-16-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #216 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
I retired from the Army and moved back to Texas.

After a month on the boat and transport truck the Scout is back home in Texas.

Unfortunately, it fired right up to drive off the truck, then promptly died It was very cold and wet that day, and after a month in transit, I figured my 5 year old batteries were not up for the task (even after an overnight charge and a jump pack, still would not fire up...just turn over).

I don't have any of my tools yet, just a small 3/8" drive ratchet set, a Crescent wrench, and a screw driver. So... not too much I can do. I got some new batteries. Which requires removing the front valence & grill shell...not too bad if you only have to do it every 5 years.

Still no good. I added some diesel, changed out the CPS , charged the batteries again...did some more trouble shooting...got a new scanner (Auto Enginuity very cool) and scoured the dieselstop forum for ideas. Thanks to my wife's detective work, we finally tracked it down to a blown fuse that powers the fuel filter heater and the ECU... vroom!

Parked next to the wife's new Jeep.

Finally added some bling

Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #217 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Welcome home! Glad to see the thing made it through transport ok.

Are you in Corpus Christi?

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Notagp👍🍺
Sweet door hinges
Old 01-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Welcome home Guido.
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Glad to see you and the rig made it back from the Islands. Nice work on the hinges.

war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #221 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Thanks Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Welcome home! Glad to see the thing made it through transport ok.

Are you in Corpus Christi?
Yep back in Corpus Christi. Much better on the return trip, at least the hood stayed closed this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout254 View Post
Notagp👍🍺
Sweet door hinges
Told the wife she needs ITS A GP as her tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by war pony View Post
Glad to see you and the rig made it back from the Islands. Nice work on the hinges.
The hinges are from Jayson at Canyon Offroad Scout 80/800 Quick Release Hinges

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 56693
SHit!!!!!

between you and the woods runner scout build in gen 4x4, i have to build another scout. i love yours it looks great. although i would have left it old rusty white (just like my first one) it look bitchin as is. good job and thanks you for your service!
'79 F-350 Crewcab, Cummins, 6spd. 37s
NPF chassis, 6.0, 4L80E, 404s, 42s,
97 FJ-80, 3" OME, 35s, Lockers, 335k and counting...[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
montanatrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 137726
The Scout looks great, now lets see some action shots

I like how you did the sway bar, I may be stealing that idea
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #224 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
MontanaTrout- You've got some pretty good builds, too love the FODGE.

MotoDave- I've got the Currie Anti-Rock swaybars front and rear. I was going to try find some kind of junkyard swap... but the Anti-rock sway bars saved me so much time and effort. Perfect width for the Scout frame. I did cut/bend/weld the arms about 15* so the end of the arms would clear the frame. Not sure why I didn't post any pics of the front swaybar. Here's the only pic I have right now that shows top part of the sway bar.

Name:  20150120_111340b.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  61.0 KB

I needed them bad, I had some wicked scary body sway.

Last edited by guidolyons; 01-21-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
MontanaTrout- You've got some pretty good builds, too love the FODGE.

MotoDave- I've got the Currie Anti-Rock swaybars front and rear. I was going to try find some kind of junkyard swap... but the Anti-rock sway bars saved me so much time and effort. Perfect width for the Scout frame. I did cut/bend/weld the arms about 15* so the end of the arms would clear the frame. Not sure why I didn't post any pics of the front swaybar. Here's the only pic I have right now that shows top part of the sway bar.

I needed them bad, I had some wicked scary body sway.
Thanks for the info. I'll be curious how mine drives with the 3 link front. It will be daily driven, so I want good street manners as well as capable off road.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.