Pirate 4x4 banner

Guido's 1965 Scout 80

162K views 303 replies 69 participants last post by  bk2life 
#1 · (Edited)
Guido's 1965 Scout 80 + 7.3L PSD

Alright fawkers:flipoff2: I've had my Scout since July 2006, it started off as a simple frame on restification to get it driving, then the project creep began, fixed a bunch of rust, swapped axles, power steering, disc brakes, etc. Nuthin' really Pirate worthy.

I've only driven it three times, once into the garage, once onto the trailer and once off the trailer. :laughing: Although, that's 3 more times than Brandon's driven his:flipoff2: looks like he's on the home stretch now though.

For me, it's rare to have the holy trinity (time, money, and motivation), but with a nice tax refund from Uncle Sugar the planets aligned and I stumbled across a wrecked 4x4 1996 F250 7.3L International PSD, ZF 5 speed :idea:

If the guys at Petersen's 4WOR can stuff a Cummins 6BT into a Jeep I can get a 7.3 PSD in my Scout with some slight firewall mods:grinpimp:

Can you guys help me?:flipoff2:

7.3/ZF 5 speed/203/205 10b/14FF yeah, yeah 10bolt sucks but it's what I got for now.

Vehicle Auto part Car Hood Engine

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's when I brought the Scout home
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Hardtop

Fixed some rust
Floor

Floor Flooring Wood Automotive exterior Plywood

Welded up the spiders in the Gov-bomb and shaved the lip off the 14B.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Chassis

Chevy 52's up front and a bastard spring pack Ranger and Bronco II in the rear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Bumper

#4 · (Edited)
Swapped in a steering column from late 80's Chevy, and power steering box from '95 Chevy with Ballistic Fab hi-steer arms (wagoneer knuckles milled by Jnutter), drop pitman arm for late 70's wagoneer.

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

Auto part

And donned my blue nitrile gloves and swapped in a master cylinder from a 4 wheel disc brake '79 grand marquis (thanks HoS)
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Wire Gas

Rear bumper 90% complete, I'm waiting to finish once I decide how much to cut the rear quarters.

Transport Vehicle Auto part Car

#113 ·
Swapped in a steering column from late 80's Chevy, and power steering box from '95 Chevy with Ballistic Fab hi-steer arms (wagoneer knuckles milled by Jnutter), drop pitman arm for late 70's wagoneer.

View attachment 423912

View attachment 423913

And donned my blue nitrile gloves and swapped in a master cylinder from a 4 wheel disc brake '79 grand marquis (thanks HoS)
View attachment 423914

Rear bumper 90% complete, I'm waiting to finish once I decide how much to cut the rear quarters.

View attachment 423917

More pics of the rear bumper? I am brainstorming mine - guessing most people just ditch the stock rear body mount crossmember doohicky?

#13 ·
Not to throw too much cold water on things, but what kind of wheeling are you going to do with it, or what are you going to use it for? Will all that torque even be useable in a short, narrow, lighter rig? When wheeling with other brands of rigs I always thought my rigs biggest weakness was the extra weight I had on the frontend from a SV. In anything soft I sank like a rock when everyone else floated through. Your going a few hundred pounds heavier than a SV, plus a winch, plus eventually a 60. Unless you add a shitload of tube your frame will look like a pretzel. Cooling it will be a nightmare, as will be fitting anything and everything in the engine bay. I would look at dropping the scout body on the shortened ford frame if you have to have that engine. Everyone wants that diesel torque in a wheeler, but I just don't see it as practical or adventageous

#21 ·
Duly noted ChiScouter. If I wanted practical I'd drive a Yaris, or maybe swap a Chevy 350 like everybody else and go cruisin' for chicks the at mall.

I guess I should probably swap those D27s back in, too.:laughing:

Practical? Yes. Advantageous? Yes. 7.3L w/5 speed > 152 w/3 speed

Stuffing an INTERNATIONAL 7.3L turbodiesel in a baby Scout?

Priceless :flipoff2:

Will it be a challenge? You bet.

Mechanos- Yeah pinion angle sucks too, I got some caster shims to correct it, they aren't installed in that pic. I had to get it out of the garage and on the trailer to move. There will be a D60 under there one day, just not today.

Budget76- Yeah, I've read IH64Scout and Fastcoasty's 7.3L swaps.:grinpimp:

Thanks Mike and War Pony:D I'm gonna stick with what I got on the brakes, 4 wheel disc brakes with good pedal ratio. If I feel like I need power brakes later, I'll swap in some hydroboost. I won't have room for the vacuum booster anyway.

The TTB front :barf: and F250 frame are bent up pretty good, (hence the odd caster and tire wear, the PO drove it for awhile after he wrecked it) so even if I wanted to use them, which I don't, not an option.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automobile repair shop

About 800 8mm&10mm bolts later, I pulled the core support and radiator out

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

That fan looks like they stole it off a B-17:laughing: It's about 23" diameter, depsite the apparent enormous size of the 7.3L it's only about 28" tall from the front oil pan sump to the top, and 31" at the widest (power steering pump)

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

A little test fit of the radiator...fits like a glove. No problemo:smokin:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#24 ·
7.3l

I am in the same boat as you, I am putting a 95 7.3l in a Scout 2. I went the long way, I should have started with a donor truck that would have made my life a lot easier but instead I have been piecing it together.

I have the motor, the 5 speed, full wiring harness and gas pedal. I have about 6 more months of gathering parts before I stab the motor in.

Looks good I have seen a 7.3 in a Early Bronco a few moths ago in my friends Bronco Driver Mag. it looked cool and fit. I would like to know what radiator they used in it.

Do you think that an Aluminum after market radiator about the size of a stock radiator will work?

#25 ·
That's the plan, I'm pulling everything from the F250, wiring harness, intsrument panel, A/C. Stock scout size 80? no. Scout II rad? maybe. I'm planning on a Griffin HP series 27x19 2 3/4" thick cools 600hp and the info says they out-cool a 4 row copper/brass rad, most 2 core aluminum rads are 2 1/4" thick.

Most of the stock rad in the F250 is blocked by the bumper, only about half of it is actually getting air through the grille.

#26 · (Edited)
Got the transmission & transfer case pulled and the wiring harness in the engine bay and HVAC removed. Luckily, there was just one big connector for all the sensors so I was able leave almost all of them still attached. Should have the engine pulled tomorrow.

Pulled the dash to get the rest of the wiring harness/ignition/instrument panel out. That took me longer than it will to pull the engine!

Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Technology Electronic device

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine

#28 ·
Yep. Already in the plans to go on the Scout. Now I won't have to make them.

#31 · (Edited)
While I had everything apart, I figured I would replace the clutch. The PSD has a dual mass flywheel (it has springs in it) that is prone to failure and cracking the transmission. I don't know how much slop is supposed to be in a dual mass flywheel, but mine seemed like it had a lot f excessive play. I didn't want take a chance with it going bad, so I got a solid flywheel conversion clutch combo and replaced the clutch. I pulled some more wiring harness and then started in on the Scout. Now is the this is the worst part, I've got both trucks torn down and I have a huge pile of parts...

:grinpimp:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Scrap

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Jeep

Art

ZF vs T90 :laughing:
Automotive tire Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

#32 ·
First test fit went pretty well. :evil:

There will be some firewall adjustment, it needs to go back and down quite a bit more.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Suspension

#33 · (Edited)
Well the front crosmember had to go, along with about 3" on each side of the transmission tunnel. It looks like a huge chop, but only about 3" wider on each side. Did another test fit:grinpimp:

It doesn't look like a big change, but I got it down and back a few more inches. I used a large turnbuckle as a stabilizer/ tilt adjustment

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

Valve covers peeking through the firewall

Floor

Room Floor Rust

Shifter lines up:D

Floor

#34 ·
All I have to say is HOLY SHIT, I honestly didn't believe that sucker would fit into a Scout. Keep up the pictures, I wanna see how this build works out...are you going to lengthen the frame at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.