Building wheelwells/tubs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10206
Building wheelwells/tubs

'73 SII

For you guys that have done this... What did you do in the area between the inner (Cargo area wall) and outer quarters after you cut out the old wheelwells? Did you make the new ones long enough to slide through and stick 'em to the quarter panel? I searched here and the BP, and found a lot on making the tubs, but not much about how they fit.

I started with a bed floor replacement, got the old floor out and found that the bottom edge of the bedsides and wheelwells were rusted to shit where the floor meets them. I can either rebuild that bottom edge or come up with something else. That's what got me to thinking about just making new tubs and running some angle all around the bottom edge to lay the floor on and mount the bed supports to. Doing my own I can make them bigger and trim the fenders to match. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the fuel filler access area yet either...

Here's a couple pics of where I'm at...
Attached Images

90WAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 69678
did a freinds floor in his 800 last year.we had a pan made for the floor wich was bent up two inches on each side.we marked up from the floor 2'' all the way down the inside panel and cut it out.once it was cut the pan dropped right in and i stitched it all the way down the seam to close it up.turned out very strong and very clean once the welds were ground out.with the wells, i've used 1'' angle iron all the way around the bottom edge and pie cut the corners for the curved part.and if you wanna get fancy you can weld in fillers to the pie cuts.everyone has there own thoughts on cut out/replace.

also if you punch holes in the new floor you can spot weld to the exsisting cross members from the top.just easier than tryin to weld under the rig.

Last edited by chris fresh; 05-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10206
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris fresh View Post
did a freinds floor in his 800 last year.we had a pan made for the floor wich was bent up two inches on each side.we marked up from the floor 2'' all the way down the inside panel and cut it out.once it was cut the pan dropped right in and i stitched it all the way down the seam to close it up.turned out very strong and very clean once the welds were ground out.with the wells, i've used 1'' angle iron all the way around the bottom edge and pie cut the corners for the curved part.and if you wanna get fancy you can weld in fillers to the pie cuts.everyone has there own thoughts on cut out/replace.

also if you punch holes in the new floor you can spot weld to the exsisting cross members from the top.just easier than tryin to weld under the rig.
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought about bending the floor up. That might turn out to be useful.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
wondering aimless

Member # 4586
I used aluminum sheeting and welded all the seams around the tubs. For the quarters I used spacers that tie the outer quarters to the inners while leaving the area open for clean out.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10206
Thanks, I was thinking something along those lines... Some round or bar stock supports just to add some structure and keep it from flapping around.