Extreme 4X4 Scout 800 buildup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63220
Extreme 4X4 Scout 800 buildup

I've seen part 1 in Feb and then part 2. Then again part 1 and again part 2 in April. Can't Powerblock present the shows in sequence one after the other, you know, like they just did on single seat buggy. I'm not sure if that's too radical an idea for them but it certainly would be better for the viewer. BTW I'm not happy with the whole system of Powerblock jumping all over the place on builds. I know it can't happen in a week but hold the shows until the sequence is done. They can do them off season and broadcast them in sequence. Or maybe doing the Scout takes too much ..... Never mind I'll quit before I really go off.
scoutmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 109276
I totally agree. I can't imagine what the point of staggering the episodes might be. On the other hand this single-seat Honda engine buggy is badass!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 106935
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I've seen part 1 in Feb and then part 2. Then again part 1 and again part 2 in April. Can't Powerblock present the shows in sequence one after the other, you know, like they just did on single seat buggy. I'm not sure if that's too radical an idea for them but it certainly would be better for the viewer. BTW I'm not happy with the whole system of Powerblock jumping all over the place on builds. I know it can't happen in a week but hold the shows until the sequence is done. They can do them off season and broadcast them in sequence. Or maybe doing the Scout takes too much ..... Never mind I'll quit before I really go off.
Thanks for sharing. Now go lurk some more. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=89171

Last edited by levi1a; 06-21-2009 at 01:38 PM.
levi1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 121028
Where the hell are all of these new guys coming from??? They seem to just crawl out of the damn woodwork at the start of every week...

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Molon Labe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson;
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
okkool77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29177
He posted the same at the BP
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 69678
i agree also with the whole powerblock thing,it's wack!.then again it's some higher up that doesn't know dick,makin the calls.you would think that they would do what scoutmstr said and keep them in line till the builds done.even my TIVO is confused about episodes.maybe it's just Ian's not around enough to finish a build,you know between the coffee breaks and the hair touch up's.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
OK look. Not everybody loves every build. But once you get someone tuned in, they will likely just finish the show. People who don't like scouts will still sit and watch the scout build. Now if everything was consecutive, they would only have 12 viewers watching the scout build until it was done, then the jeep crowd would watch til whatever project was done....then the buggy guys etc etc.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
It's pretty simple marketing. Not everyone is interested in the same builds, so you stagger a few different builds that appeal to different people and keep everyone interested. Also, people are at different skill levels, so you stagger the skill level too. People who are experienced don't get board, and new people don't get overwhelmed and your show doesn't lose a portion of it's audience and stays on TV.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108082
i am not a scout owner (jeep guy) , but i have been following the build anyway. i just recently gotten a set of scout 44's that i plan to put under my cj and have found that watching the scout build on extreme (especially the episode about the axles) helpful. it is what you get out of it.
djk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk69 View Post
i am not a scout owner (jeep guy) , but i have been following the build anyway. i just recently gotten a set of scout 44's that i plan to put under my cj and have found that watching the scout build on extreme (especially the episode about the axles) helpful. it is what you get out of it.
Exactly. I'm glad you posted this. I watch every episode, I think all the episodes have something cool to watch.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Tractor View Post
Exactly. I'm glad you posted this. I watch every episode, I think all the episodes have something cool to watch.
Fuckeng werd.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Yep, have to stagger to keep up the broad appeal.

Just like I DVR every episode and then watch them in whatever order I want.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 63220
Another week and still no Scout. Think he figured out a V-8 is difficult to get into engine bay of an 800 4 cyl?
scoutmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 69678
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
Another week and still no Scout. Think he figured out a V-8 is difficult to get into engine bay of an 800 4 cyl?
yep! betcha they don't show movin the cross member outta the way.did they ever say it was a 4 or 8 cyl to begin with? luckily mine had the 304 and goin to the LT was no problem.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 121028
It started with the V8 from what they showed in the first episode, but they didn't really give that good of a shot of it either.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Molon Labe
Quote:
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 71440
Quote:
Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
It started with the V8 from what they showed in the first episode, but they didn't really give that good of a shot of it either.
No it didn't. I have it saved in my DVR and watched it again last night. The 800a that they bought had a 4cyl in it to start with. They got a scout II from a dealer down the road for free that had a 345 v8 in it and a 44 rear axle. Then they used a chevy 44 front and cut it down to Scout size.
Gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 121028
I'll take your word for it since I havent had a chance to watch any of the episodes since they aired back in febuary...I'm guessin that they didn't show moving the crossmember when they dropped the 345 in.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Molon Labe
Quote:
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 138162
I was just watching these episodes on their web page, and they did make mention of the 800a having a 4 cylinder in it originally. they said something about how normally they toss the old engines, but that one they where going to sell to someone who was rebuilding a 800a. I cant wait to see the final episode.

also, I should take this chance to introduce myself, I am looking to pick up a Scout II with a 196 4 cylinder. I am looking forward to lurking here, and following these threads, as I spend my time fixing up the old work horse.

Last edited by Vermonter; 06-29-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 116422
Quote:
Originally Posted by djk69 View Post
I'm guessing what you found helpful was that he said to ditch your Scout axle and use a Chevy.
surfnturf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42255
Stagering the episodes is not "some execs call" it is mine.....and I do it for multiple reasons.

1) Popularity...like it or not the Scout is a very popular build, I think the download numbers are something like 15K per episode and that is alot trust me. Because of it's popularity it will be spread out over the entire season and then finished next year..

2) Parts....the Xtreme shop runs 6 days a week, 50 weeks a year making TV. I am sure that you guys know that you can't order "every" part right at the beginning of a build. Sometimes you need certain things finished before you can order stuff like....driveshafts. This downtime can only be dealt with by pushing the project to a further show. Also it is not fair to guys who pony up parts to ask them to rush rush everything only for them to wait 6 months for an episode to air.

3) Work....just like you guys I build these trucks myself. No team of top secret mechanics and welders to jump out from behind the camera to do teh work....and sometimes I just need "time" to get stuff done.

And as for my hair touch ups.....Supercuts!!!! and yes I do take the occasional coffee break...but trust me. I think I earn them

Oh and by the say.....the scout is back on this weekend to get the roll cage....
Ian from Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post

3) Work....just like you guys I build these trucks myself. No team of top secret mechanics and welders to jump out from behind the camera to do teh work....and sometimes I just need "time" to get stuff done.
Bullshit! The guys on the KOH preview stated that you only put in one bolt then have your team do the rest
Old 07-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Stagering the episodes is not "some execs call" it is mine.....and I do it for multiple reasons.

Oh and by the say.....the scout is back on this weekend to get the roll cage....

Looking forward to it Ian...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 13467
I just watched the last 3 weeks episodes last night (DVR). The KOH episode was Now I'm gonna have to buy both KOH DVD's
Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 138451
Send a message via Yahoo to crazyeight
Cool...thanks Ian, really enjoy the show although much of what you do is waaaay over my skill level. Of course I could always bring my Scout to you to do on your show, we are fairly close geographically...lol...!!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
1) Popularity...like it or not the Scout is a very popular build, I think the download numbers are something like 15K per episode and that is alot trust me. Because of it's popularity it will be spread out over the entire season and then finished next year..
That is truly surprising. I didn't think there was even 15,000 Scout owners in the whole world!

Other than the snotty jeep pilot every now and then, I find that most people I meet at 4x4 events and on the trails enjoy seeing a Scout out there.

Last edited by Shadow man; 07-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote