Benchslap - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 148806
Let this be a lesson to future defendants in copyright infringement actions: if you plan on using a DMCA safe harbor defense, don't destroy or conceal evidence related to your argument. Judges don't like that sort of thing.

That point was emphatically made yesterday by Judge Harold Baer of the Southern District of New York. The judge was ruling in the case of Arista Records v. Usenet.com. Arista accused Usenet of basically every form of copyright infringement there is: direct, contributory, vicarious, you name it.
The claims stemmed from newsgroups on Usenet.com's paid service where users could post and download music files. The plaintiffs alleged that Usenet.com was aware of the infringement, promoted it and profited from it.

Usenet tried to claim that it was entitled to safe harbor under section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which removes liability from an online service provider for infringing content posted by third parties so long as the provider meets certain requirements.

The judge wasn't so keen on allowing Usenet.com to lay out this defense, however. It seems that, during the course of the litigation, Usenet.com destroyed data on seven hard drives, fired employees and let them take their computers home with them, and sent some employees to Europe and encouraged them to remain outside the jurisdiction while the suit was pending.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
What the hell is that about?
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Spammer (reported)

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
All four of your posts look cut and paste to me. I think I might find the sources and let them know.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5905521

Oh yeah, Me know how to work print page so go ahead and start deleting/editing.
I think it is the same poster that was called out earlier in the dana 300 thread under a different(but similar) user name. If I am reading this correctly, he is trying to say that since he was banned (and apparently 2 of his posts were deleted) that somehow PBB would be at fault for HIM posting potentially copyrighted information. What a HOE!

He needs to meet the band that went down with the Titanic.
IDScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
Benchslap, amazing truck.
I love the original Scouts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, 4L80 MT1, NP241, F&R D110 Salisburies
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Bug Nerd

Member # 42484
Badass scout. I want one of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yotasmob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
Thanks for posting that up Benchslap.

After seeing the 80's here, I think I overestimated how much I had to cut out.

I had to heat/bend my stock clutch and brake pedals over 2 inches to make room for gas pedal clearance as well.
I straightened my brake & clutch pedals, too. The 7.3L was intruding on the foot room just a wee bit.

Name:  P5030229.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  P5030228.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  30.6 KB
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Here we go again

Well folks it has been a while but I am bringing this one back. After a few years with the Chevy drivetrain, I wound up overheating it and burning up one of the bearings. After that I wound up getting nostalgic and decided it was time to get rid of all the Chevy stuff and make it all IH again. With that being said it was back to the drawing board to do this right so it is the “last time” or at least that is what I told the wife… At this point it is getting close so I thought I would catch you up and then use this as a way to stay motivated till she drives again.

Once the engine quit running and it sat for a while I was struggling with which IH parts to go with. So I wound up giving Eric over a D&C a call to see what parts he had laying around since his shop is in the same town. After a half hour on the phone relaying what I had in mind I got the feel that he had what I was looking for so I stopped by the shop to check out what he had laying around. After multiple chats over a few weeks I wound up picking up some Scout 2 D44 to start building up. Sometime around then I realized I had become the guy with nothing but excuses as to why I wasn’t spending any time on the truck. So I broke down and did what I said I would never do. I called up Eric and asked him to just pickup the truck and get going on the list we had been come up with. I knew parts weren’t exactly cheap so we came up with a budget and plan to get it finished up in around a year. Needless to say scope creep got me so here I am a year and a half later and most all of the heavy lifting has already been done.

The first order of business was to pull out the drivetrain so up it went on the lift.
Name:  Core Support Removal 1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  71.0 KB

Out came the engine and core support to make room for the 345 which will be going in next.
Name:  Core Support Removal 2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  Core Support Removal 3.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  Core Support Removal 4.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  68.5 KB
Benchslap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Core Support

Next up was to remove the cross member that was in the way of the 345 we had in the plans. So we burned on a bumper and then took out the member. Not the clearest pic but the only one I have from then.
Name:  Front Bumper 9.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  49.6 KB

And then the core support was moved forward and then a little paint to clean things up.
Name:  Core Support Removal 5.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  75.1 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 147666
New Power Plant

So I wound up getting lucky as I was in need of an engine and a Scout 2 guy was looking to upgrade his engine from a 345 to something else. A quick phone call and I had a donor.

Name:  Donor Engine 2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  92.9 KB

So I was holding my breath on if this engine was going to be any good but after a compression test and pulling the valve cover she was pretty clean.

Name:  Donor Engine 3.jpg
Size:  58.1 KB

All that all that was left was degreaser, all new seals, pumps, and paint.

Name:  Donor Engine 4.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  Donor Engine 6.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  76.6 KB

Once she gets installed we will be installing TBI to help out with the elevation changes of going up into the mountains. I also am trying to do a serpentine belt conversion. So I did some googling and found some aftermarket Ford 5.0 under drive serpentine pulleys. They have a flat back and roughly the same diameter as the stock v-belt pulleys. After throwing them in the lathe to clearance the ID and then drilling the mounting holes to match we might be able to make this work. Still need to work out the belt routing as some of the runs are rather long.

Name:  Donor Engine 11.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Axles

So I knew I wanted to keep this IH so Scout 2 D44 were in order. So out with the D60/14 Bolt. D&C moved super quick through the axles so I didn't have time to get many pics.

Name:  Body 1.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB

Other then what you can see is a Zip lockers, 5.38 gears, and chromoly shafts. These should be a bit better then the D27 it came with!

Name:  Axle 3.jpg
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Axle 2.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

When it comes to welding I am king of the booger weld. It was nice to see some welds that were going on my truck that look good!

Name:  Axle 6.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  Axle 8.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 142897
Great looking rig ,has transformed a bit over the years
CRUZRADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Cage Redo

So the problem with having built the cage before having kids is I didn't plan for a back seat. Being that I want to be able to take the kiddos it looks like we will be redoing the cage. Now when I built this one I learned two things. Tube work takes forever and foot room is well worth the extra work.

Name:  Cage 1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  73.3 KB

So I apparently am not as computer literate as I thought. Rotating pics is still a mistery but I will figure it out eventually. You can see the mounting plate holes for the first cage vs. where Eric is putting this one. The cage leg will get centered up once it comes time for tacking.

Name:  Cage 3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  64.3 KB

The tube working is coming together.

Name:  Cage 15.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  67.9 KB

Keeping the cage nice and high in the back for ample kiddo room.

Name:  Cage 11.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB

10 minutes later and still struggling with rotations but what the hey I will keep going. The seat mounts are coming together. I like the way Eric built this as it allows for the tunnel to be pulled without pulling the seat mounts.

Name:  Cage 13.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Suspension Updates

I knew the original leaves were not going to be the way to go. With my Scout not running I got to ride shotgun in my buddies jeep during our last trip to Moab. It really blew me away how it ran like a Caddy with coilovers on all corners. Now I hadn't originally planned on it but I knew I would be changing to it in a few years if I didn't do it now.

So on went the mounts and links.

Name:  Suspension 4.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Suspension 5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  Suspension 3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  Suspension 6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  80.0 KB

The biggest question now is how much are we going to have to trim to get these to full stuff.

Name:  Suspension 26.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 147666
So on went the coilovers. After doing some reading it seemed like Radflo built a good product at a good price. About 2 weeks later these came in the mail and they are fitting well

Name:  Suspension 29.jpg
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  Suspension 31.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  54.0 KB

We wound up having to move the steering box forward to accommodate the hoop. Eric grabbed a shorter pitman arm and it all turned out to fit well.

Name:  Suspension 35.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Suspension 36.jpg
Size:  54.7 KB

Tying the shock hoops together. After about 2 days of tweaking tie points and making sure there wouldn't be any interferences it will be time to finish up welding.

Name:  Suspension 37.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  56.8 KB
Old 11-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Suspension Continued

Here are a few more views of the front suspension. Were still working on testing different accessories locations but we still need to shorten up the serpentine belt for it to work well.

Name:  Suspension 32.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  Suspension 33.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB

I also got rid of the 3 speed and went for the T-19 transmission with a 6.32:1 first gear. Next up was matting it to a Dana 20 with the terralow gears and while the power plant isn't as torquey as newer engines we went ahead and put in an AA HD output just to keep it solid.

Name:  Transmission 2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  Transmission 1.jpg
Size:  54.3 KB

So that brings you up to speed on the last 18 months. At this point she is about to come back from the shop in the next week so I can start in on the knickknack details.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 702090
Wow!!!! It looks amazing!
Smellyvikinghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
that seems like a lot of work to go backwards in strength. And the point about keeping IH stuff sorta gets thrown out the windown with the coilovers and links. Its cool, dont get me wrong, but dang, A lot of work for going backwards.

plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
that seems like a lot of work to go backwards in strength. And the point about keeping IH stuff sorta gets thrown out the windown with the coilovers and links. Its cool, dont get me wrong, but dang, A lot of work for going backwards.
Ditto...^^^^^

I appreciate you doing your own thing though. Keep after it and great update.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
X3

I appreciate the whole retro-Mod thing.
It would be a great rig to do mild trail runs with leafs & D44s.

But ditching 1 tons & adding coils?

Is that what your Jeep friend is running?
His D44 is a bit stronger & his rig is lighter.

You will break stuff with 37s (& 35s).

[QUOTE=Benchslap;39012498]So I knew I wanted to keep this IH so Scout 2 D44 were in order. So out with the D60/14 Bolt. D&C moved super quick through the axles so I didn't have time to get many pics.

[QUOTE]

Ok, you said D&C.
That makes more sense.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 147666
Fair enough and no argument here. What I am working towards is a retro all around truck with the understanding it wont be as good as it could have been with an LS and the other axles. To answer a question above, your right on what my Jeep buddy is running so fingers crossed on the weight difference. So I guess what I am saying is feel free to reference this in 2 years when I put one tons back in!

Update: I had bought a parts truck and I have spent the last few days compiling what I need vs not. Tell you what, I have got to learn how to work quicker! Either way it had a decent tub so the next owner is planning to pick it up in the next few days and has plans to make it into a pretty neat restomod. Once that's done I will have room to get this build into the garage and get going.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
yup.....pirate has gone full circle....out with dana 60's...in with the d44. Love that stock look baby.....wait are those coil overs a 70's option?

love the detail tho, i like the radius arms cause everyone hates them. Curious to see how it flexes.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 147666
This last weekend I got lucky with an 8274 coming up for sale in my area at a decent price. So I ran over to take a look. As you can see she isn’t a looker but everything could be spun by hand so I decided the wait was over and to go with this one.

Name:  Winch 1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  Winch 5.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  64.9 KB

Below are some of the tear down pics and how the parts came off so with any luck I can get it back together correctly the first time. I learned my lesson a few years ago when I reassembled a manual trans by memory and got one of the gears in there backwards! Talk about a step backwards since I didn’t try to shift it till she was already bolted up…

Name:  Winch 6.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  Winch 8.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  Winch 9.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 147666
And a few more:

Name:  Winch 7.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Winch 10.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  Winch 11.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  44.0 KB

The brake assembly decided to not cooperate with me so I put it in the parts washer for now intact. I had enough pressure on a 3 jaw puller that I was worried about bending or breaking it. It looks like some folks around here have had some success with penetrating oil or ATF so after work I will have to go grab some and see if that will help break it loose.

Name:  Winch 15.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 147666
So I finally finished up the winch rebuild. After a good deal of time with a Dremel and some clear coat the housing turned out ok.

Name:  IMG_1805.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  69.1 KB

I saw one of the guys on here used some rare earth magnets to reassemble the brake so I gave that a try with limited success. I may not have put them in the right place but it held them good enough to get it back together. These magnets were some that I had laying around so maybe they weren't big enough.

Name:  IMG_1809.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

I used the press to reassemble the brake and then the clamps to hold it together until I could get the clip back on.

Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  71.5 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.