So... You think you want to do a 3-link? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
LOL. I've come to expect a lake of various fluids under my Scout. I just fix the leaking diff covers, but the leaks just move around from place to place.
I noticed a couple drops hanging off the tranny pan too, make a small (less than a foot circle of oil on the driveway.) You can fix the pan leak by building up a bit on the inside of the tranny and the pan in that corner. Might get some JB weld to build up the tranny and weld a small tab inside the pan.

How did you figure out what coil overs to get? I don't see many coil over project in the Scout world. I've looked at that link calculator and then figure my leafs are broken yet. I never see numbers posted on the coils, are you running a 200 lower and 400 upper? Just tossing numbers out there. Might have to find that weekend post when they first arrived.
I think you misunderstand, I said pool not drip...

I'm running FOA 2" coil overs with remote reservoir 12" travel. They say shock travel times 2 for total spring length. Typically, I think people would run 2 12" coils. For some reason, I came up with the plan to run a 14" main spring and a 10" secondary, why, I can't remember now...

I'm running a 14 -2.5- 350# for the main, and a 10-2.5-225 for the secondary. For some completely incomprehensible math formula I can't begin to understand, a 350# and 225# spring combo equals a total spring rate of 139# per inch.

The way I look at this pic, I have just about fully compressed the secondary, and the primary will be kicking in for the final bit of compression. I have added some preload in the pic below and it created a higher ride height.

So... To dial things in, I'm going to work on my shock preload, try a slightly heavier spring rate for the secondary spring, and maybe changing the lower mount to add 1-1/2" to 2".

First thing is preload adjustment and do a little driving to cycle the suspension into the suspension's natural position.

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

/forum/international-harvester/850321-so-you-think-you-want-do-3-link.html

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 01-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Nice!
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Well, why not.

This Scout has the original manual steering box with the trailer ball pitman arm. I'll be adding a power steering swap to the project. May as well only build the tie rod and drag link once let alone dick around with the totally obsolete pitman arm...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850321
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 35185
I dug through the parts inventory and found my cores for power steering box and pump and brackets

What is the best way to transition from the stock 800 steering shaft to the Scout II steering box?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Chit, that HP front will help a ton right there on any DL setup.
IMO, it does and doesn't.

It helps at full droop, no doubt, but it puts the driveshaft even higher at full bump - and in my SOA Scout, I have issues with the driveshaft hitting the bottom of the front of the transmission pan with a low pinion front diff, despite lowering the front bump stops 2-3" - which wasn't enough until I raised the engine a touch and put in the air bumps.

Also, Buck, if your suspension doesn't bind at full droop, you want some limit straps (old Scout seat belt straps can be pressed into service) to keep from tearing the shocks apart on the rare occasion you let it droop all the way out.

Limit straps are cheaper than shock shafts and new seals. BTDT

On the engine bar - or lack of - the problem is the repeated stress on the frame where the shock towers are trying to rotate the frame every time you hit a speed bump.

Eventually you get metal fatigue and the shock towers rip from the frame.

I'm on the accelerated metal fatigue program here, but the lesson learned carries across to casual wheelers, too.

Plus, all the cool kids have an engine bar.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
IMO, it does and doesn't.

It helps at full droop, no doubt, but it puts the driveshaft even higher at full bump - and in my SOA Scout, I have issues with the driveshaft hitting the bottom of the front of the transmission pan with a low pinion front diff, despite lowering the front bump stops 2-3" - which wasn't enough until I raised the engine a touch and put in the air bumps.

Also, Buck, if your suspension doesn't bind at full droop, you want some limit straps (old Scout seat belt straps can be pressed into service) to keep from tearing the shocks apart on the rare occasion you let it droop all the way out.

Limit straps are cheaper than shock shafts and new seals. BTDT

On the engine bar - or lack of - the problem is the repeated stress on the frame where the shock towers are trying to rotate the frame every time you hit a speed bump.

Eventually you get metal fatigue and the shock towers rip from the frame.

I'm on the accelerated metal fatigue program here, but the lesson learned carries across to casual wheelers, too.

Plus, all the cool kids have an engine bar.
Those stinkin' cool kids...
Just when I get my coilovers, they get their fancy smancy engine bars.

They have tube benders too...

I have my bump stops on the way and the seat belts, ahem Limit Straps, are in the works, and I promise they will have that agricultural flair that is so embodied in the cornbinder spirit. I just love the idea of a quick disconnect limit strap.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #82 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
What is the best way to transition from the stock 800 steering shaft to the Scout II steering box?
Do you have the long or the short Scout steering shaft? The short one will be easier to mod, but I'd guess you can do it with the long one, too. Pull off/cut off the stock bell on the shaft, grind 2 flats on it to match and weld or bolt a steering u-joint on the end. Check Speedway motors (or Summit, Jeg's etc. Speedway is a few bucks cheaper) steering u-joint selection, DD shaft (if needed), count splines and match up what you need to match your steering box.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Do you have the long or the short Scout steering shaft? The short one will be easier to mod, but I'd guess you can do it with the long one, too. Pull off/cut off the stock bell on the shaft, grind 2 flats on it to match and weld or bolt a steering u-joint on the end. Check Speedway motors (or Summit, Jeg's etc. Speedway is a few bucks cheaper) steering u-joint selection, DD shaft (if needed), count splines and match up what you need to match your steering box.
Thanks for the info, I should be doing this swap in the morning, so I'll figure out what steering joint I need to order (nobody in town carries any steering joints).

I found all my old power steering stuff, and for a few moments I thought, screw reliability, I'll just bold these on... But no, I am resisting temptation and my normal "cheap bastard" ways, and I'm going to use these parts for mock up and cores.

What's another $250.00 in the grand scheme...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #84 (permalink)
Dana 44 Polisher

Member # 13731
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I should be doing this swap in the morning, so I'll figure out what steering joint I need to order (nobody in town carries any steering joints).

I found all my old power steering stuff, and for a few moments I thought, screw reliability, I'll just bold these on... But no, I am resisting temptation and my normal "cheap bastard" ways, and I'm going to use these parts for mock up and cores.

What's another $250.00 in the grand scheme...
I made a steering shaft piece on my last non-PS to PS swap.

I cut the input shaft end off the non ps box (which matched the input splines on the borgeson u-joint that was going on the input to the new PS box) and cut the ball/bell joint off the big u-joint on the steering column. Beveled the edges of the two shafts - butt welded them together - hit the welded butt with the grinder to keep the diameter about the same at the weld. Slipped a piece of tube over the welded area - Welded it on tight. So there are 3 welds holding it all together. As safe or safer than a rag joint I figured.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Its amazing, if you cut enough, anything will fit...

The Scout II PS box required a bit of massaging to get in there. Most 800's don't have a big stinkin' shock tower sitting where the steering shaft needs to go.

compared to the stock position on a Scout II

The good news is I moved the box forward, and tilted it upwards, at the same 12 angle of the stock box, and it looks like I'll be able to use the stock couplings without changing the shaft length.

After the big test to see what ride height is going to be, I decided to change the axle shock mounts. The ride height was lower than I expected, and I want to give myself more room for the bumpstops and uptravel.

I had some inner C shock mounts and I welded a set on one side.

Compared to the other mounts, I raised the mount about 2"

And finally, I picked up paint.

Gold Chrome...

Don't you think that's better than hammer finished charcoal like the back?

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 04-08-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #86 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Quote:
Gold Chrome...
Don't you think that's better than hammer finished charcoal like the back?
Mexi chrome!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Mexi chrome!
Voting closed, it's the charcoal hammer finish...

I completed the fabbing on the axle. I finished the higher shock mounts and reinforced the top of the radius mounts.

I started tearing down the old axle, and it seems all those big mud puddles I've been going through ended up in the axle.

It's a good time for a some new wheel bearings, and maybe I will put on the extended vent breathers.

I quite suprised I have not spit out the axle u-joints. And also, to the guy on youtube that changes ball joints in 5 minutes,FO... I expect that wasn't his first time.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Well the issue of the day is the axle seals in the diff housing.

At best, Randy's shipped the incorrect seals, at worst, the new 3" x 1/2" wall axle tubing I used for the long side, fucked things up and I can't obtain a seal that would incert in the new axle tube.

Somewhere in the middle, I hope the original 78 Bronco housing seals work, and I can find them in stock on Saturday.

I may be able to increase my options by a smaller seals that would insert down the axle tube farther than you would typically see and I was considering using RVT to get a seal between the housing and the seal. The stock rubber will form a good seal between the axle and the seal.

This is what comes up for a stock Scout and lots of other rigs.

If I resolve this seal issue, I can complete the gear swap in 1/2 an hour, paint the axle, I got in the other Ballistic Bushing for the second upper link, and have all the parts for the steering swap.

I'd love to finish this today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 01-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #89 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Do you have a ballpark number on how much the link conversion parts ran you?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
Do you have a ballpark number on how much the link conversion parts ran you?
My God! What kind of question is that! What if my wife saw this, I'd have another horse

I have three main projects, so it seems like a lot more. I have the high pinion plus gear swap, the power steering conversion and the link set up.

For the link set up, I'd figure $50 per joint, and bracket average, let's say $400 - $550, including panhard.

The shocks were $200 each with the double spring kit and then springs run $55-$70 each new and $30-$50 for good used.

Then the drive shaft conversion on top of that, also you need to do the steering links for either a high steer or the flip certs with TRE's.

I probably have $500-$650 in my axle conversion project and $250 to $350 in the power steering conversion. This will end up with a complete rebuild of the front axle, ALL components, all new wheel bearings and seals and new rebuilt parts for the power steering conversion.

The toughest thing on the whole project has been to switch from the typical Scout "cheap bastard" mentality to the "may as well do it right for a change" mind set.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #91 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
It looks like you are coming in at about half the price of a prepackaged "kit" from venders for the link part of it
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 125872
looks good so far
a440scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Well the issue of the day is the axle seals in the diff housing.

At best, Randy's shipped the incorrect seals, at worst, the new 3" x 1/2" wall axle tubing I used for the long side, fucked things up and I can't obtain a seal that would incert in the new axle tube.

Somewhere in the middle, I hope the original 78 Bronco housing seals work, and I can find them in stock on Saturday.

I may be able to increase my options by a smaller seals that would insert down the axle tube farther than you would typically see and I was considering using RVT to get a seal between the housing and the seal. The stock rubber will form a good seal between the axle and the seal.

This is what comes up for a stock Scout and lots of other rigs.

If I resolve this seal issue, I can complete the gear swap in 1/2 an hour, paint the axle, I got in the other Ballistic Bushing for the second upper link, and have all the parts for the steering swap.

I'd love to finish this today or tomorrow.
If anyone does the hi pinion swapping, pay attention ot those pesky axle seals. I was able to find the correct part. The portion that is suppose to go down the axle tube has a flange with about a 2-3/16" OD, My tubes are about 2-1/8, so I was able to do a little work with the belt grinder and it worked fine. These seals were a relatively loose fit so I used the RVT to secure them in place and it worked fine.

I got the gear swap done, cover on and painted the whole thing. I also got the axle u joints done and 3/4 of the ball joints done.

I'm quite sure I won't be done tomorrow...

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 01-31-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 35185
And another expense...

I seems as though you shouldn't have your Iphone in your pocket while fabricating...

"So when is my contract up for renewell?"

Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #95 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Ouch!! I assume if fell out of the pocket, vs High frequency from the TIG welder taking it out.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Ouch!! I assume if fell out of the pocket, vs High frequency from the TIG welder taking it out.
Not quite sure what happened. I have dent with a cresent cut right near the iPhone on the back. I'm pretty sure it is right over the part of the phone that makes everything work...

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 35185
No pics due to the iPhone incident...

I spent most of the weekend assembling the axle and compensating for the hybred aspects of the axle construction.

The issues I ran into were the inner axle seal needed to be identified and modified due to the 1/2" axle tube, and the outside of the same 1/2" tube needed a smidge of work. The OAL of the tube was fine for the stock Scout II length, but the thickness of the tube infringed on the axle shaft. The length was fine, but the inside opening of the tube needed to be champhered to let clear the slinger like flange on the axle shaft.

I did a little on the power steering pump and had to open up a little more of that poor inner fender...

I got stopped on the assemby of the axle due to 2 stripped outer knuckle to spindle studs. It's all the little things like this that take the fun out of it...

I should be down to build the second upper link, button up the drive shaft, mount the powersteering gear box and then install the axle.

Shouldn't take long at all.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 02-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
Buck, sounds like you're at the point of the build everyone hates, where all the little crap pops up Builds looking good though

Had the same thing happen to my zune when I was working in the garage, but I only took out the screen. Learned from that to always have the screen against my leg, with the 'shell' towards the outside. Sounds like you had it like that and still wacked it on something, must have been a good hit. Hell, my Touch still works after being thrown at a wall, the back cover just likes to fall off
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #99 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 56693
lookin good dude, I talked to Matt, and he said you had a thread going on. youre gunna love the links up front versus your old 80 springs! keep up the good work and we'll have to get together again when i get back to Oregon, it'll be in sep. for Jesse's wedding.......laters......chris

'79 F-350 Crewcab, Cummins, 6spd. 37s
NPF chassis, 6.0, 4L80E, 404s, 42s,
97 FJ80, 3" OME, 35s, build in progress...

www.nukeprooffab.com
[/SIZE]
montanatrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
Buck, sounds like you're at the point of the build everyone hates, where all the little crap pops up Builds looking good though
Yes, I'm at that point, but I think I have most of the stuff now, except a fan belt for power steering, so the weekend might be productive. Iand I have another IPhone so I can provide suitable documentation...